I think I'm infected

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Always Alone, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

A couple of days ago I made one of my worst cuts, It was way too deep, I knew that as soon as I cut it. It felt so good at first, but then the blood kept coming.

I sorted it out in the end, but now is hurting real bad. its swollen up and there's yellow oozing out of it. I'm pretty sure it's got infected.

In the sticky it says to get medical assistance, but I can't deal with that right now.

I have some antibiotics from about 2 years ago when I had real bad sunburn that got infected, I kept forgetting to take them, and I still have a whole load left.

There in one of those blister packets, I must have thrown the box away. I don't know what they are or when to take them, but I think it was 3 a day, at least an hour before or after meals. If that right I've got enough to last for 8 days.

What I need to know is this:
    Will these things be out of date by now
    Will 8 days be enough?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

They'll definetly be out of date by now.

Yellow ooze is a really bad sign of infection....get to a doctor!!!!!
  3. wienerman

wienerman Guest

firstly i would advise you to go to the doctors or something, however that is your call as its your body.

try keeping the cut cold, im talking ice packs etc for as long as you possibly can manage it. this cools the wound and should slow down the bacteria's multiplication.

keep adding antibacterial cream to the cut little and often, with also trying to keep it clean all the time.

i dont know about the antibiotics as im not a doctor so i would be careful with it.

i cannot urge you enough to go to your doctor, as it may seem bad now but it can only get worse without help from a proffessional
  4. dude i think u should definately get 2 a doc man...that sounds sick.:unsure:
  5. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

While I'd still rather not, I'd be an idiot to ignore this advice.

I'll wait till the weekend and see if it gets any better. If not I'll head down to the doctors.

One question though, do I have to give my name and stuff (They'll see what I've done before and I'll have to go back to CAMHS) or can I just show up, show them the infection and get the antibiotics
  6. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

Man this wrecks, I can't even get to sleep.
  7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I'm pretty sure they'd want your name seeing as they will have to put the dosage and details on your record but i am not sure. Either way i think your health is the most important and if your cut is infected, which sounds very likely indeed, then seeing a doctor is a number one priority because the longer you leave it the worse it will probably get. If you want to wait until the weekend then i guess that is your own call but please keep an eye on your cut in the meantime, if it does get worse then i think you should consider seeing a doctor before the weekend to get it treated. can you make up some excuse? maybe say you caught yourself on a corner of a table (corners can be sharp) or you sliced yourself when you were cutting vegetables or something.. depending on where your cut is. either way, please look after yourself.
  8. If it gets anymore infected you're risking getting gangrene and blood posioning and if you get blood poisioning you'll die. You should get yourself to a doctor as soon as possible. I actually know someone that had a wound on his leg that got infected and he didnt do anything about it and two weeks later he was dead so do the sensible thing and get proper medical assistance. Blood posioning comes on quickly and acts quickly.
  9. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Hun, you definatly need to go to the doctor there are all kinds of infections that you can get...one is gang green, it will rott your flesh off, and there is a nother one can't think of it, but it's newer and anti-botics don't effect it and can cause to to be in a lot of pai and possible death... so you need to go to the ER or doctor or something I have had an infection that bad before and it made me extremely sick...go get some medical attention before it gets wose, please hun...you need medical attention.

Sending big hugs..........:hug: :hug: :hug:
  10. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

I can't pass this off as an accidental injury. If it was on its own maybe, but with the other cuts around it, its not possible. Besides they'll see on my records that I've done this before an be suspicious.

At any rate it's gotten worse, I used a sewing needle to lance it last night (That's the right thing, right?), and a whole load of yellow came out. It's really starting to hurt, I'll never go this deep again.

I've got an appointment for Saturday, hopefully whoever I see will be cool about it and not try to put me in touch with CAMHS or contact my parents. But somehow I doubt it. I wish the so called professionals under stood it half as well as the people on here
  11. If you're not going to get it seen to and you're going to be doing things like you just described make sure that you steralise the needle first in boiling water otherwise you're going to be making it worse. Isn't there anothe emergency department in a different place you can get to?
  12. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

What difference would it make? Would they not have my records?
  13. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd take the pills you got, keep trying to get as much yellow puss out as possible and keep washing it out with water and placing lots of cream on it. Some of that hydyogen peroxide would hurt, but help kill stuff too. Course this is just the two cents of a fellow cutter who would rather risk further infection before going to a doctor.

Good luck! and keep it clean
  14. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

I hadent thought of hydrogen peroxide, the chemist will be shut now, but I'll get some tomorrow. If its looking any better on Saturday morning I cancel, if not I'll have to hope I see a nice Doctor.

Thanks everyone
  15. nothing-

nothing- Guest

When I was a kid, I burned my leg a little bit and I didn't think it was bad, plus I hated going to the doctor. I just left it, and eventually it started getting the yellow ooze crap coming out.

Well, my mom took me to the doctor and it was a good thing. You can't leave your wound like that. Every day its going to get a lot worse.
  16. Terry

Till u can get to the docs, wash it with salt water. Clean out as much pus as possible and then wash with salt water again. Salt water baths are used for post operative patients to stop wound infection and aid healing.

However, do still go to the docs.
  17. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

It's more red now, there seems to be less pus, but it hurts like **** if I touch it. Appointment at 11:15 still not sure I wanna go but I guess I don't really have a choice.
  18. Terry

Darkest...GET THEE TO A SURGERY !!!

Best of luck with the appointment.
  19. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Seeing a doctor is a very wise decision, let us know how you get on. :hug:
  20. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

I ****ed up. I couldn't do it

I went there and they told me they'd called me through, when the guy came out and called my name I couldn't move, I just sat there. He said it like three times then called someone else.

I knew I needed to go, but when he called my name I just couldn't. I didnt wanna show anyone my arm, I don't want to have a thousand lectures on why I must stop.

When I got home I got a call from them, they'd phoned up to ***** at me. I managed to get another appointment for tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it this time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.