I think my friend is in a crisis

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

A close friend of mine lately, has obviously been under a lot stress & drinking more than I would consider the odd drink. So obviously I'm worried about her as she tends to always have to strive for the highest things & will run herself into the ground. She's also been making jokes that kind of make me uneasy. I've asked her but she's the type of person to offer a sarcastic (unbelievable) response.
    Now first off I dont want to be the hypocrit and tell her what she should look at doing (ie talking to someone). However I'm not wanting to stand by & watch someone fall down the same ugly path I'm on.
    I'm afraid this may be sneaky but I was going to maybe just say something to our professor. Maybe just get them to say "hey I noticed you've looked stressed lately is everything ok?" or something.
    As close as we are her personality & my own issues may cause her to put up a wall with me. When we drink she's more open but by the next day it's like the convo never happened.
    Am I having an over-reaction to this or something? Any suggestions??

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

All you can do is try to be there for her. Make sure she knows that you are there to talk to so that she can come to you when she feels comfortable doing so. Not much more you can do really.

3. PandorasToybox

-I should point out that I posted this today because yesterday was bad. She showed up to our exam quite hung-over & very moody which isnt her "usual" hang-over. Also she has put alcohol in her drink at school & work. She just seemed way more off than usual
    - Shes a straight A student who tends to be more open with older adults than people our age.

4. PandorasToybox

Thanks Delusive :)

I lost my cousin to suicide last fall so I guess I'm just really jumpy about these things.

5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Yeah, its definitely something that can cause worry. As much as you want her to talk she may just feel awkward or scared to say anything. You just need to hope that she will open up. It may just take time. In the meanwhile you could even provide distractions in hopes that she will drink less.

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Do you know why things have reached this stage? Has something happened, or is it that things have accumulated and she's reached her tolerance? Either way, I agree with Delusive-Sunshine that all you can really do is make sure she knows that you're there for her and that you won't judge her or force her to do anything (like see her doctor or whatever).

I also like Delusive-Sunshine's suggestion of distracting her, so she might drink less. Could you spend more time with her, possibly studying, if that's what's stressing her? If necessary, you could suggest that it would help you to study with her (because she's so smart, etc.) so she doesn't realise what you're doing.

Mim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.