I think my step-dad is an alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dragon, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

But I'm not 100% sure :unsure: I don't want to think he is but I can't get the idea out of my head. Can anyone here give me some questions that I can answer to figure it out? I've looked online but I'd prefer a 'real life' sort of thing, if you get me.

I'm worried :sad:

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Re: I think my step-dad is an alcholic.

Can he go a day without alcohol?

Does he get the shakes or the DT's when he goes without alcohol?

Has he lost weight?

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

:hug:

Al-anon is an organization with self-help support groups that meet to help family-members of alcoholics. This site has some info: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

I recommend that you download "newspaper" version of al-anon faces alcoholism 2009. There is an article about how "CAGE" helps determine the need for al-anon. CAGE is the set of questions you might use.

:hug:

4. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

To the first - I'm not certain, but I'm aware that he just went through four cans of cider in less than an hour. That's 12 units of alcohol.

I'm not aware that he gets the shakes, though I have known him to get grouchy.

No, he hasn't lost weight. He is in fact overweight and I think it's compounded by his drinking. However, he won't stop despite knowing this, because he 'likes it'.

Thanks Acy, I'll have a look at that.

5. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

6. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

If it helps, I live with an alcoholic. He never goes a night without beer, under the pretence of social drinking. So, pub and all that.

Dragon, the overweight thing might be what you call a beer belly. Beer is actually quite high in calories, I think theres more calories in a pint of beer than a mars bar.

Question for you. when you talk to him, does he get dead defencive about his drinking?

7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

My dad is an alcoholic and I would just go with what was previously stated. does he get defensive about drinking. Does he get drunk everytime he drinks? And how often does he drink? Those are 3 of the important questions right there. An alcoholic may not drink everyday but a lot of the time they will get completely drunk everytime they do drink.

8. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I'd say some pointers would be drinking first thing in the morning, hiding alcohol, quickly changing moods (aggressive to nostalgic to bubbly to crying etc), a complete lack of interest in personal appearance. Some of the symptoms go hand in hand with depression, which can often by the underlying cause.
    All the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.