I think the prescription drugs I've been taking for over six years...

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Enceladus, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Enceladus

Enceladus Member

... have really destoyed my mind. I don't feel as sharp as I once did. Even though I get the meds legitimately for a medical condition, I'm finally starting to realize that they're still dangerous and addicting. I want to get off them but I have so much to worry about right now that I don't need to go through any withdrawl period or anything. Plus I don't want to risk reverting back to my old self because I was even more depressed and suicidal. I don't know what to do.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think 6 years of taking medication would cause permanent positive changes in my brain and that I could get off them and not end up back where I was before I started taking them? Or am I going to need to be on them for the rest of my life? Thank you very, very much.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Geeze that's a tough one. Have you talked to your doctor?
    If you feel like you don't need them any more the least you have to do is ween off them.
  3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

What are you taking, hobbes? i was looking for a tiger icon to show my support of your avatar but all i found was this stupid badger:

I had the same effect from taking the first round of prescription meds, although i was younger at the time (13-14) and took them for only a couple of years. i was on valproate (depakote is basically the same thing) and prozac and i swear my memory and attention span has never been quite what it was before.... sometimes it bugs me to think that i could have been achieving more, but oh well.

so yes i think its possible. but i don't know what you're taking and what it would be like for you if you quit. some medications are designed to be stopped gradually and also, i would think that unless something has changed in your environment or you're really feeling like your life has gotten way better, you should consider either switching or staying on them. i'd hate to see a depressed tiger, that would definitely upset me
  4. Enceladus

Enceladus Member

I take Wellbutrin, Strattera, Remeron, and Xanax. Another thing I worry about is that because I take the Remeron at night just before bedtime (it makes me drowsy), if I stop taking it I might not be able to fall sleep. I haven't gone a night without it in over 6 years, and even with it I still have huge sleeping problems. Before I started taking it I had so much trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. :sad:

P.S. Thanks, I like badgers, too. :smile: