I think

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Asylum Project, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asylum Project

Asylum Project Well-Known Member

Therapy is causing more problems then i had before i started....

1. I started cutting
    2. I can't sleep
    3. I can't even think right now because I have to many thoughts
    4. IDK here you can insert here ________________________

2. Rockster

Rockster Guest

I know exactly what you mean Sunday, i have had the same problem with Therapy but in the long run it is worth it :hug:
  3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

therapy is exhausting and makes you drained out, it brings up some feelings we have not dealt with.

hang in there, the long-term shall be better.
  4. Therapy is painful, talk to them about how things seem to be getting worse for you. It's not going to be easy but it will be worth it, good look and take it easy, concentrate on getting yourself better.

5. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I thought therapy was worthless, at least for me. Though I don't think it made things any worse, other than a decided reduction to my parent's bank balance, I saw or see no evidence it made anything any better. Seems to me nothing but a religion that you pay a lot of money for the privilege of joining.

But having said that, if you don't like your current therapist, just like religions, they're plenty of variants you can choose from, and lots of different schools of thought. Assuming you think therapy might do you some good, and assuming you can afford it, you might want to try that approach.

And, as matter of personal opinion, any therapy that would induce you to start cutting is one you should drop. That is wrong on so many levels I'm uncertain why others aren't seeing this, or commenting on it.
  6. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although after about 30 sessions with different therapists I had something of an epiphany - so it can work in the very long-term!
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

10 sessions in and I'm pretty sure it's worthless, myself... My mood is strictly tied to my interpersonal relationships.
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well one of two things could be happening. It could be that the therapy really isn't working, that you don't have a good therapist or whatever.
    It could be that things are coming up which are causing you to re-experience past hurts. You are taking a step towards healing which is extremely uncomfortable.

We stay in a comfortable depressive/numb state, and in order to get past that, we have to go through it. So with medication or therapy it can feel as if we're getting worse although we're really getting better. That's what I have learned in therapy as I have taken my step towards healing and noticed an INCREASE in suicidal thoughts. But it is a step I am willing to take as the depressive/numb state has become so unbearably paniced and fearful that I feel I must. I either have to take that step or take my own life. I have not been fully willing to give up my old self but at least I am in therapy and am happy about that. I know how difficult it can be.

Therapy can be really fucking hard but when you throw your whole self into it you will be glad you left your old self behind.

Stick it out or find a new therapist since it seems you are open to at least trying to get help and talk in therapy.

with all the love in my heart
  9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Been in therapy for three years and I think the world of Gina. She knows when I don't have much to say so she goes over the things that are obvious. She has gotten me to come out of my room after isolating there for fourteen years. One step at a time."SHE IS GREAT".~Joseph~
  10. Ellex

Ellex Member

It's making me worse as well. I have been getting about 4 hours sleep since I first started going and I'm really starting to feel the effects of that now.
    I'm constantly worn out.
    In fact I don't think I have ever felt worse than I do now I'm seeing this therapist. They are still evaluating me. Can't decide on the best 'plan of attack' Other than medication (of course, because that's easy, just send her home with some pills)
    Last appointment I just walked out because I couldn't take it anymore. Have to go back tomorrow which I'm dreading a LOT.:sad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.