I thought that if you had a job, money,family and in a relationship, that you'b be ok

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I guess I was wrong. I read the story of an Australian news Anchor the other day, her name is "Charmaine Dragun" Who committed suicide back in 2007. All I can say is I'm shocked to see someone who has everything, could still want to die. I mean she had a really good job, a strong supporting family and was in a relationship.
    I guess Depression doesn't discriminate. It affect anyone.

Comment Please.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Re: I thought that if you had a job, money,family and in a relationship, that you'b b

Depression can affect anyone. Depression can be situational, but it can also be a chemical imbalance. So even if she had all those things, things that we think would make a person happy, obviously she just couldn't find that happiness, or didn't know how to reach out for help. Or maybe there's more to it, something behind the scenes that we don't know. It could even be something from her past, something she didn't know how to deal with. There are tons of causes for depression.

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Re: I thought that if you had a job, money,family and in a relationship, that you'b b

Maybe sometimes having everything is the problem.

4. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

They always say that the grass is greener on the other side. People of all walks of life have all kinds of problems.

5. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Suicide is never totally about what is happening outside of you, i.e. job, school, lover... it is about what is happening inside of you.

People who "have it all" or at least seem functional often don't get help, because nobody thinks they need it.

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

she appeared to have everything someone would want but obviously it wasn't what she wanted otherwise she wouldn't have committed suicide. She must've been in a huge amount of pains that we might not have heard about....

Having money, job and family isnt what makes someone happy...

7. eduardo

eduardo Active Member

I have suicidal feelings because of the things happening outside of me so It depends.

8. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. I should have been more clear.

9. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

if you have your health some money and a job that doesn't suck I dont know why someone would kill themselves I am sorry I dont sympathize with them

10. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the reason why she killed herself?
    I see this a lot. People who seemingly have everything and yet they still go through with suicide.
    I suppose I look at them as having everything 'I' want, but that doesn't mean they have everything 'they' want.
    I'm sure someone out there is looking at me the same way and wondering why I am depressed.

I don't agree with the above poster. You don't know her job didn't suck - maybe she hated it?
    Maybe she looked healthy but underneath had just been told she had a debilitating disease. And even if she didn't. Most of us on here aren't dying...
    Money isn't everything. How many celebs have commit suicide!

11. Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk Well-Known Member

The one that really surprised me was standup comic Richard Jeni. Talk about someone who seemed to have everything and really have it together. RIP, RJ.

12. Aurora Gory Alice

Here is an ENTIRE LIST of people who appeared to have great lives and yet they all commited suicide.

We can't be so blind to think a job/cash/family/partner automatically = happiness. Someone on this site once told me "just because things look great from the outside, we don't know what's going on behind closed doors", so that's something to remember.

Apparently Charmaine Dragun had suffered from anorexia in previous years, so she was probably a tormented soul underneath all of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides

13. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Depression is depression whether it was kicked off by wonky brain chemistry or by a situation. From what I’ve read and heard, any depression - true “clinical depression” - results in a downward emotional spiral (sadness and/or negative thinking and/or shame and/or guilt and/or anger...), lethargy, fatigue and/or insomnia or too much sleep, development of or worsening of existing aches and pains. And if the brain chemistry isn’t wonky to begin with, it usually goes wonky while someone is depressed. It would quite possible then for someone to “have it all” and still suffer from depression.

Of course, there are some people who “have it all,” and who are not clinically depressed, but who still gripe about their lives. And true, it's hard to feel a lot of empathy for those people. (But I don’t think it’s the just plain gripers” who usually suicide. With the ones who suicide, there's likely more going on in their lives and heads than we know about.)

What we see on the surface doesn’t always reflect what is happening inside the person. (Maybe the phrases, “I just put on my happy act,” “I wear a smiley-face mask,” “I pretend to be happy” will sound familiar to some of us here?)

As Linds83 pointed out, job, relationships, family, wealth and/or material possessions don’t necessarily equal happiness.

14. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

whatever, she looked like an attractive person, if she hated being a news anchor maybe she should have quit and been a garbage man or a veterinarian or something she would have liked better

again I really don't sympathize with to many people who are healthy and are suicidal

especially healthy, attractive people who probably have alot of money

maybe its me

15. Aurora Gory Alice

I think Acy pretty much summed it up better than I ever could.

I agree, difficult to feel empathy yes (because envy and jealousy have taken over) but all the same, you're forgetting SOMETHING made that poor woman commit suicide, whether she was attractive and had a great job or not, and who are we to judge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.