I thought that therapists are there to help you- I was wrong.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shi, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shi

Shi Active Member

I do not know what to do right now. I am studying in England and my psychologist has adviced me to see another person while I am "abroad". I went to the universities counseling service first. The person I talked to would arrange a meeting with a doctor who then would refer me to a psychologist.

The counseling service also wrote a letter to the doctor, summing up what I told them. My past has been absolut violent. When I was a child my father wanted to control me. To gain my obedience, he sometimes threw me down the stairs, he tried to starve me, or I had to stand outside in the cold, naked. When I was nine years old I told him that one day I would kill him. my parents divorced, but it did not help me. I spend many more years trying to protect my mother. Sometimes I wanted to run away, but I did not know where to go. I was living in a war. Now I am grown up, but all that is left is pain and hatred and the feeling that life is not worth living.

Ok, the doctor read the letter and said that this would not be a reason to refer me to a psychologist. I then told him that I am thinking about death every day and his answer was " Oh there are many people who think about death a lot, it's not uncommon, they even write books about it." Next, I told him that I did a two year research with someone else, to find out the best method on how to kill myself. The other person eventually killed himself about 11/2 years ago. His answer was " Oh you don't need to do a research, you can just jump in front of a train" Excuse me?????.

Anyway, he decided to refer me to a psychologist, but it would take at least 6-9 months, before I could talk to one....

I left his room, feeling even worse than I had before. I am pretty helpless now, what can I do?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had to go through a traumatic childhood. I can understand how the pain that remains still affects our adult life.

While reading your account of the experience you had with the doctor I thought, "omg, this doctor is out of line." We go to the doctor for support and his replies were far from helpful from my opinion anyway. You were giving sign that you are struggling (the daily thoughts of death) and trying to reach out and he gives an airy response. I'm glad he did actually give you a referral.

In meantime, can you see the university counsellor that wrote the referral letter to the doctor while you wait for the psychologist or do you any other people in your life that you can turn to. If not SF is here and is only a keyboard away.

take care

3. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

what a terrifying story, you own father! story's like this make me so damn angry. i am speachless.i feel so sorry for you. this sounds worse then hell.not only that but also having to deal with an incompetent doctor who happens to one of the biggest a-holes in the world.story's like yours make me realize how litly my own problems are and how pattethic i find meself even thinking i had a bad childhood. i am so sorry for you. how are you holding up today? do you have some friends who you can talk to ? please keep posting we are listening and
    dont hesistate to pm if you need someone to talk to

4. Shi

Shi Active Member

Thank you for your words =). It's ridiculous, I feel suicidal and have to wait for up to 9 months to see a psychologist. The counseling service, told me that they cannot give me regular appointments, because they cannot deal with problems like mine.

When I left the building I even started to cry a little bit, which I hardly ever do. But I was so depressed that this doctor basically told me to jump in front of a train. I guess this person has no clue what it means to feel suicidal. No I don't have any friends, and no one I could talk to. I have always been a loner.

5. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

ofcourse you start to cry, even the most healthy person in the world would start to cry after hearing those uncompetent horror ansers. he is lucky you didnt record the converstation with your phone because he would not be able to do anything else beside swapping floors for the rest of his life if a story like that comes out in the public.
    how are you doing at the moment ? do you have some friends there to who you can talk ?

i tend to believe that if i feel suicidal and depressed alot of talking and healthy food / enough movement help best for me to calm meself down, but then again this is just me.

i still have problems wenn i think about what this socalled doctor told you keeping in mind he will most likely give others this same ridiculous speach

the long waitinglist sound familiar to me, i have searched for a psychologist in germany at the time i had work there and there was also a waiting list of more then a year

unbelievable

and if they arent even capable of handling your problems then what kind of problems can they handle ?

dont they understand that they are allready helping by talking and listening ?
    they need to read a book first ?

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Shi,
    From what I understand England has a long waiting list for mental health care.. It's not just you.. I have read many stories here on the forum saying the same thing..
    I'm afraid all you can do is wait it out.. Keep posting here so at least your letting it out and gaining support from the members here.. I wish you luck..Take care!!

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Talk with a professor one you trust even let know how you are feeling Try going to a different councillor one that knows their job better. Is there anyone in the community you can talk to a crisis line just for talking to people It does help these people do care. Stay here and just talk with us okay at least we understand where you are at.

8. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Yup, those mother F*ckas. I've narrowed it down that almost all psychologist have anal rentative personalities and "little" person syndrome and look at patients to resolve their own issues. Then when they have a patient that has "urgent" needs, they brush it aside or say plain frickin rude things. Psychiatrist on the other hand, are LIKE US and they don't admit it. Blind leading the BLIND.

Do they have interest groups at that school?

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Am assuming doc you saw was your GP for a referral?
    If so, change GPs. A pain in the arse I know but they are not all incompetent twats like this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.