I Told My Dad.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SmolderingIce, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmolderingIce

SmolderingIce Well-Known Member

I've been suffering with depression for almost a year now. I've been afraid to tell my parents, because I never thought they'd understand. But recently, I've had 2 nights in the past 2 months in which I almost killed myself, so I thought maybe now I should tell them..
    And I did. I told my dad, knowing he's had some sort of depression as well.
    The conversation went alright.. It was cut slightly short, because my mom came home, and I didn't want him to see me cry..

I completed my first step of recovery. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.. A part of me still wants to forget it all and just die. But I'm trying for my best friend.

Thank you, SF. This site has really helped me Want to get better.. And now I'm on my way there.

2. ali-wali

ali-wali Well-Known Member

I'm glad you've spoken to your dad about your depression. yesterday I spoke to my mum who recently came to an end of her depression, I was soo nervous and scared I od'd last year and since then I swore blind I'd never hurt them again but I just got to the point were I scared myself with my thoughts! Some support is better than no support. Keep speaking to your dad you could help eachother? good luck xxx

3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Well done Abbey i know its really hard to tell people. Possibly think about telling a doctor as well just to get some extra support, they can help. I hope things get better for you now.

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you've told your Dad Abbey....if he suffers with it too he can understand what you're going through..
    well done ..I hope you'll keep reaching out on here as well..

5. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed that you told your dad yourself! I had to call a crisis number and have them talk to my mom for me, I was too afraid to do it 2 1/2 years ago. Telling someone that you feel that way is definitely the hardest part of it. The next steps are by far sooo much more easier.

6. SmolderingIce

SmolderingIce Well-Known Member

Good :) I'm hoping it gets easier.. I'm glad you could tell someone too. Even if it's indirectly, it was still done.

I feel like now, I actually want to get better. I actually want to live.. It's a weird feeling. But I like it.

7. MysteriousImpulse

MysteriousImpulse New Member

Brave move, Smoldering. Hopefully you can support each other now. It's wonderful that you have a friend in your life who motivates you to fight this.

8. anonymoose

anonymoose New Member

You're very brave. It sounds easy on paper, but when your there, at that spot, it's no easy thing to do. And all the emotions just run wild.

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Interesting you phrase it like that, I actually first told my parents by walking in their room when they were waking up, dropping a letter I wrote the night prior and walking out of the room and holed up in my room.

Good work on getting up the courage to speak to your father.

10. Dancejacobdance

Dancejacobdance New Member

I'm glad you were able to find support in your family, I told my parents a while back but never really talked about it. I called my mother the other night and told her everything about my deppresion and I cried. I felt so much better knowing that someone finally could see my true feelings. I am so thankful that you found the same help.

11. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

Congrats on it going well enough.

When I told my dad that I might have depression, he said that all the shite I had been reading on the internet had addled my brains and I was imagining things.

I told him to go fuck himself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.