i try to stop drinking alcohol

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Arthur, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

Hello dear friends of SF,

I have a hard time to stop drinking alcohol.
    I know i'm throwing away my health, and there will be repercussion if i go on like this.
    I enjoy drinking sprite instead of alcohol, some days i can go without one single drop of beer, other days i need to drink a liter of beer.
    I'm very ashamed about my drinking problem because my parents were alcoholics.
    I'm thinking of joining a fitness centrum, sport might take away my urge to drink alcohol.

Does anyone struggle with a drinking problem? it would be nice if someone could share his/her story with me, and how you stopped this addiction.

2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Have you considered looking for a rehab centre? I'm sure there would be some about for you to meet other people with similar issues regarding alcohol. I used to never know when to stop, but I guess having a job that I'm not willing to part with helped me :hug:

3. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Hi Arthur.. yes would be a good thing for you to get a handle on adn cut back on the drinking for sure.. you saw with your parents where this can go.. if you could find a fitness group with some good ppl that would probably help you.. learning to say no is a learned thing.. gets easier the more you work at it.. my history with booze other than my one coors beet a day ended little more than 33 rys ago... katie my wife at the time sat me donw and ogt right in my face and told me to make a choice that night.. her and johnny or the booze.. and the drug use also.. i chose my family.. this is not your current situtation i know but thinking to the future. better sober ande more chances then to get some social events with other good people..

Arthur i enjoy talking to you.. please the 2nd offer from me.. it ok to send me a personal message anytime.. will listen.. think a bit and will get back to you.. truthfully been there, done that in many areas.. some i have even gotten better and in a better place now.. all i really want is for the same to happen for other troubled souls.. sometimes sir , you have to take life a minute at a time.. you can do this.. take care, Jim

4. Samara

Samara Account Closed

The fitness thing might be a good idea; see if any fitness places around you have workout groups. Some of the ones I have, do these different types of workout groups that men and women can show up to, and exercise in. Maybe that setting would be useful to you, to have someone showing you what to do, and just working out in a group?

Or maybe you just want to work out alone, which is alright. Either way, the idea sounds great!

5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I've struggled with addiction and know several other people who have as well. For me it was heroin instead of alcohol, but regardless of one's drug of choice it's all pretty much the same. I stopped when I became tired of being sick all the time and ended up starting to smoke cigarettes, going to the gym, and 12 step programs instead. Though, not NA, mind you...I went to Naranon because my ex-fiancé was a hardcore user and that was what affected me and my using the most so it really helped me at the time. But you could always try AA or something else to replace drinking. I don't really recommend smoking cigs though (unless you already do it) cause that's not good for you either but just saying that's what I ended up replacing it with. My biggest problem was that I wanted to use when I was bored, now I do other things when I'm bored. Whatever helps.

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I have a drinking problem. I've stopped before. I know it's possible. Unfortunately I started again. Intentionally.

Exercise isn't enough for me. It helps while you're there, but you can't exercise 24 hours a day. Even if you could, that would be even more detrimental than drinking.

You need to find other things in life that preoccupy you. Something that you can do all the time. I know that most things will get boring after a while, so you should focus on finding many different things to keep you busy. Exercise, cooking, reading, getting involved in a local clubs and events, charity work, etc. Spend time with friends if you have any. TV, video games, whatever you happen to enjoy. Whatever makes life worth living for you.

I could quit drinking if I had a reason to. I do not. I have no friends and I enjoy nothing anymore. I am filled with sadness and rage. My life is empty and meaningless. I drink because I might as well be dead. Unless you think you're as pathetic as I am, which I highly doubt is even possible, then there is hope for you.

7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I quit drinking and smoking by adding up what I was spending and then thinking about what actual things I could have instead with the money. I decided I liked guitars more than drinking and smoking, so I quit doing both habits and saved the money to spend on that instead. Needless to say, well over 100 guitars now and still growing. No way to find time to play them all, but one can try... which means no time to smoke or drink! Pick something you enjoy and focus on that. It works.

Also, a support group can't hurt any. Replace the alcohol with something else you like to drink (perhaps a fruit juice, or ?) and when you get the urge, treat yourself to that instead.

8. kote

kote Account Closed

ANTABUSE = miracle drug!!!

this time last year i was drinking everyday and could see a bad pattern happening so i told my dr. and he put me on ANTABUSE.

i was too afriad to touch a drop. it really worked!!!

a nice ice cold cola is so much nicer and refreshing - but its full of crap though!!!

9. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I also definitely agree with LoneWolf that just one or two things isn't enough to help, and that you need to find as many things as possible. And also about the fact that going to the gym only helped while I was actually there. As soon as I would walk out, I would start to feel bad again. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just means that you have to sort of make a plan about what to do right after.

10. TheLoneWolf

Absolutely, that is the problem exactly. I feel good while I'm at the gym, but I have to go home sometime. And then I'm once again alone with my thoughts. My thoughts are what cause me to drink. The ultimate solution would be to shut my brain off, but as I understand it, that's usually fatal.

11. champie

champie Well-Known Member

To start, I have no "job", only the stress of protracted legal and financial problems as a result of a neglected and failed business. About a month ago I quit smoking weed, then 2 weeks ago I quit cigarettes and began focusing on exercise and nutrition. 4 days ago I was sore, blistered and burned from sun exposure due to engaging in these activities at the height of summer in the Arizona desert.

You are all so correct that being in the moment of exercise or some other activity cannot last 24 hours a day. Once I accepted that I needed a couple days off from my new routines, I slid right into cigarettes, fast food, soda, and all-nighters on the computer trying to find answers to "what's the point in living." I continue to stay away from weed because I know that if I ever get the courage to apply for a job I will need to take a drug test. But with all my other behaviors I am pretty certain that I will not succeed even if I try thanks to the fact that my outward appearance seems to not only reflect, but amplify my gross inner life.

What's my point? Maybe taking Victor Frankl's advice in Man's Search For Meaning and engaging in volunteerism? I was close to getting more info on a group that runs a permaculture project here in Arizona, but as you have read, I have put obstacles in my path yet again.

Sports, reading, any hobby at all, cannot eliminate the possibility that you will have to be alone with yourself at some point. This is the most frustrating challenge for me because I am concerned that if I cannot resist backsliding every time I get stuck with myself then I will never feel worthwhile of anything life offers.

12. TheLoneWolf

This is why I insist that in order for people to be happy, they need others. Friends, family, significant others. Well, okay, I should say most people need that. Some people are perfectly content to be completely alone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... but that's the exception rather than the rule. Human beings are social animals. In order to escape from ourselves and our sometimes self destructive thoughts, we need to be constantly engaged with others... we need to feel like a part of something larger than ourselves... we need to feel loved and accepted. This is a concept I have tried time and time again to convey to these people who keep telling me I need to "be happy with myself". Very few people are ever going to be happy being completely by themselves. People need people. And that's all there is to it.

Sports, hobbies, exercise, reading, all of that other stuff is good and part of a balanced, healthy lifestyle... you don't need to be around others ALL the time, in fact there is such a thing as too much social interaction... but too much time alone will cause nearly anyone to become depressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.