I want to get ill or injured....

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

OK this is weird but I really have been getting into the habit of fantasising about getting really sick or getting into a car accident (not on purpose!). Not like in a way to punish my self or anything like that but more to just have a valid excuse to have a break and spend more time alone. Is that weird? Am I messed up?

2. Crashtesthero

Crashtesthero Member

If it is weird than I am messed up too because I often do the same thing. Someone will mention how someone they knew got hurt or is sick and I will think... why couldn't that have happened to me?

3. champie

champie Well-Known Member

I don't think it is weird but it seems to me from my own experiences that the new situation in which you might find yourself will impose limitations that you would not enjoy. I imagine that you would quickly recognize that you didn't really want to be forced into the situation. Instead, I speculate that what you really want is to find the power and authority in your own life to be able to "make time" for yourself.

Don't you already have a valid excuse to give yourself a break and spend time with your own thoughts? Turn off the TV, stop listening to infotainment, play sports instead of watching them, reject idle conversation and "grouping" (happy hour with co-workers, hanging out with "friends"). I might sound like a party-pooper, but remember that you are the one who wants to be disabled as an excuse to get some alone time, so you will be forced to reject these things anyway according to your own fantasy.

Just get rid of all the shit that is constantly grabbing at your thoughts; Reject the things that don't make you more clear minded; Reject people (nearly everyone) who don't want you to flourish; Reject the influences that distract you from expressing your gifts.

Be Safe, be healthy, and be human!

Full disclosure: I wish nearly the same thing and as I get closer to getting what I wished for, I now wish I had been more careful, get it? I have to take my own advice.

edit to add: I have been used to always getting bailed out of personal failures, mostly financial. After years of this I have become dependent on it and no longer seem to be capable of taking care of myself. Now I am, financially speaking, "disabled". This means that my basic needs are met, but I have no self-respect, self-confidence, or sense of dignity remaining. Sure, I have all day to do anything I want and yet now all I want is the ability to take care of myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I know it seems like a "valid" excuse to take a break and have time to oneself seems to need to be an event beyond our control, but saying that we need to take a break is a valid reason. Humans at different times in their life need a break. You can plan a break. If you need a break from work you can plan for and ask for a vacation. I have taken unpaid vacations on more than one occasion and I still got through it financially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.