• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

I want to go back to school but I feel so lost

JCC988

I've been wanting to go back to school for a while but I still don't know what to do. I've thought about doing welding, auto mechanics, or pharmacy tech. But even those feel uncertain.

It'd sure be nice to have some clear direction.

Sad Elf

Hi,

hmm that's tricky. There will always be work for automechanics, don't know my h about the other two.

If you were to go with your heart, what would it say?

Elf

JCC988

Hi,

hmm that's tricky. There will always be work for automechanics, don't know my h about the other two.

If you were to go with your heart, what would it say?

Elf
I just don't know. It's like I can't really feel anything there right now.

BarryW

SF Supporter
Have you considered taking one or two classes in all of those options, to help you decide? I used that strategy a few years ago. It helped me get a much better idea of not just what would keep my interest or what I might be suited for, but also gave me a valuable inside look at the quality of the programs offered in each area at that school.

Many schools allow you to enroll as 'non-degree seeking', 'undecided' or 'general studies', and you can change it each semester, so it shouldn't be a problem from their end. Unless you are trying to start out at a dedicated trade school maybe.. I don't know much about those.

JCC988

Have you considered taking one or two classes in all of those options, to help you decide? I used that strategy a few years ago. It helped me get a much better idea of not just what would keep my interest or what I might be suited for, but also gave me a valuable inside look at the quality of the programs offered in each area at that school.

Many schools allow you to enroll as 'non-degree seeking', 'undecided' or 'general studies', and you can change it each semester, so it shouldn't be a problem from their end. Unless you are trying to start out at a dedicated trade school maybe.. I don't know much about those.
Well I'm taking an introductory course for welding in the upcoming spring semester. Hopefully getting my feet wet with that will help me to decide.

BarryW

SF Supporter
That's great you are taking something in the spring. I think it can only help. Is that the area that you feel most drawn to at the moment?

JCC988

That's great you are taking something in the spring. I think it can only help. Is that the area that you feel most drawn to at the moment?
I don't know. It's hard to feel much of anything at the moment. All I can say is that it's something I've thought about a lot.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I understand. Here's hoping you can start to feel something in that class. If you've been thinking about it a lot, it will be good to find out whether it is a good route for you.

Anonymous ID

I've been wanting to go back to school for a while but I still don't know what to do. I've thought about doing welding, auto mechanics, or pharmacy tech. But even those feel uncertain.

It'd sure be nice to have some clear direction.
Going back to school is definitely a good life decision. When I made the decision to it helped me a lot. I just find myself in trouble on schooling breaks. It's good to set out goals for the future and going to school helps you get a job that will make you happy. Well done!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$305.00
Goal
$255.00