I want to help her..

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Xistence, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

A few years ago my friend's brother commited suicide by train. Over the past few months it has been hitting her hard. She has been having recurring nightmares about it and she can't see or hear a train without breaking down. She shows so many signs of PTSD, but she is afraid to go to the doctor because she heard that they will take her to train tracks and things like that to try and desensitize her to it. :sad: I want to help her, but I don't know what I can do. Does anyone know what kind of things they do to patients being treated for PTSD?

2. Fishman

Fishman Guest

It sounds like she's not ready for 'confrontation' such as going to the tracks, I think its just something that she has to heal with over time.

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It depends on the theories the therapist believes in, but they would not force her to face it before she was ready. Often times, therapists are sensitive to the needs of their clients. You can offer to go with her to the therapists office and sit in on sessions as long as they are both in agreement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.