I want to know what's wrong with me (anxiety?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleach

I was thinking that I have social anxiety, but after look at the symptoms, now I am not so sure. I have very profound shyness which has held me back from having any real social life for a long time. (For reference, I got a 106 on the social anxiety scale that is stickied on this page.) However, I don't seem to have any physical symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and the like. It is very frustrating because without those I can't be diagnosed as socially phobic and still don't know what is wrong with me. I feel like there is something very abnormally wrong with me at this point and wonder if I am ever going to get well. :nerves:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried to get diagnosed/spoken to a health professional about it?

physical symptoms don't have to be just panic attacks. You might have symptoms you are completely unaware of .. irritable bowel syndrome is often associated with anxiety. Also sweaty palms,reddening face (not neccesarily though), racing heart beat.. those are all physical symptoms.

Also if you are suffering from a shyness which is affecting your life enough to need treatment then the doctor should offer you some forms of treatment according to your individual needs. You don't always need the same label as everyone else. If you're not socially phobic you might just be chronically shy to the point where you need some medical assistance (even if its just in the form of a group therapy sessions or a few individual therapy sessions). They are just labels at the end of the day.. hang on to how you feel and really try and record how much it is affecting you day to day. Even if you are still doing things it might be so horrible that you have resulting depression or something (not to put ideas in your head or anything!) Just try and understand what's going on with you, try and write it down somewhere or something.. and then take it to your GP.. if they are any good they'll point you in the right direction.

Hope that's helped. I'm totally whoring on the posts tonight :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00