I want to move to the US but it is impossible

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hache, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I've come back from a vacation in the US and have fallen in love with America and the people. England just does not seem good enough anymore. There is so much I want to move away from.

So I have decided, after I finish my degree I want to move there. In 2 years time (hopefully recession will be over and recovering).

The catch being I cant get in :sad:

I will not be able to attain any of the possible visa's :mad: just too hard to get, especially as I am British.
  2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

You can go for further studies, then I bet it would make it easier.

I know what you mean, as I've lived in the US myself when I was younger. My main ambition is to go studying at college
  3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

i will have to win the lottery to be able to afford to do a masters in the US :(
  4. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

Or incredibly smart. Either way, when it comes to living in the US, coming here to get an education is your best way in.

It may be expensive, but the overall cost of living is lower than the UK (or at least what i've seen).

I've lived here all my life, and at times i want nothing more than to leave. But it still is a great nation to live in, especially the quality of living is fairly high.
  5. Kakihara-Gumi

Kakihara-Gumi Well-Known Member

It's hardly worth living in the US alot of the time, not unless you live in some hovel in your home country or some kind of third-world country, oh, or unless you're sickeningly wealthy.
  6. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

As you're starting to notice, the authorities there don't want immigrants. When I came there I never even got to leaving the airport after I told them I might seek to stay there for a while longer to work. Actually, most I got to see was a really filthy waiting room where they stored arrested people in a secluded area. I had gotten the wrong information - you weren't allowed to say you'd legally seek to stay a bit longer. So now I'm blacklisted for the rest of my life and have to get a visitor visa to get into the country... and a need to update that visa once a year, if I'd be going there again. Which costs at least as much every time... visa plus the travels surrounding it... and I have been informed by the US embassy in Stockholm that they can deport me for any reason whatsoever, anyway...! So I'd get a visa and say the right things but if they feel like it it's the same story all over again.

...and then there was the other Swede I talked with on the airport, who had been arrested right when he stepped out of the airplane, because when he had been studying there, he had exceeded the time he was allowed to stay there with one day... so he was wanted. Now it seemed he was never allowed into the country, again.

How about you try Canada, instead? The US is a completely fucked up country in so many ways.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  7. Kakihara-Gumi

Ha! What you just said is what I was honestly going to say at first, but I thought maybe I should tone it down a bit, as not to really offend anyone.

I give you credit for being quite straightforward with that. :biggrin:
  8. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Obviously people want to leave, some dont like it, like I am giving up on my country. When I went to America all my local tribalism and superiority complex that I have through wherever I go in england because of my home town ties and upbringing that mess with my brain were gone. There were also a lot of beautiful American girls... The culture just seems easier, for me anyway.

I do not want to live in some American slum or near some dodgy area. Surely middle class america is fine to dine with.

Sorry to hear your story Hae-Gi. Someone told me to go over on holiday and ask companys to sponsor me to work their but If I was to get caught that would be it forever.

Canada doesnt have the same appeal to me. I could walk into Canada, Australia, New Zealand any EU country but I want to live the american dream and unfortunately Hollywood has a lot of blame to take for that as well lol
  9. Kakihara-Gumi

Sadly, the American dream is largely just a lie anyway.

Fat greedy corporations in their most condensed form, over-entitled little turds spewing crap they know nothing about, the sickeningly rich get treated for scraping their knee while the poor man is sitting right in front of them with a bullet in his chest, people with meager amounts of hardly harmful drugs getting sent to prison while rapists and murderers get off thanks to some dink having the papers stacked wrong, chunky pricks born into their mommy and daddys money never having to worry about dealing with the poor unwashed massses.

Canada would more than likely be the much nicer alternative.
  10. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I think you're deluding yourself, though. As for Canada, Toronto seems pretty cool. Maybe some Canadians here know of some other city to recommend... maybe Vancouver? Have you been to either of those cities?
  11. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

too cold and not american :lol:
  12. Kakihara-Gumi

Well, technically it IS american, north american, just not the usa.

I hate having to point that out to people so much. :tongue:

Also, not all of Canada is cold.
  13. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Yeah... :/ the not being American part is why I'm recommending Canada, instead. As said... "the American dream" is just a lie.
  14. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I want an American wife and American children. I really didnt think it would be that hard being british. Quite surprised really.

If I was Irish I could go live and work their for a year after university.
  15. Kakihara-Gumi

Why exactly?

Live in the usa for a good while, it'll drain your will to live sometimes.
  16. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

The US is a nation built on immigrants. If you don't follow the process correctly, it'll obviously be difficult to get in, unless of course you're a mexican (but then you get stuck with all the reject jobs, most americans don't want anyways). But i think there are some serious problems in the US, but none of those things were mentioned.

Naturally it's a great country for the wealthy, but they aren't the only ones in this country. Our middle class is often quite poor when compared to the average upper class citizen but our middle class is often far richer than those of other countries (especially compared to other developed nations). There's a reason our nation is fairly wealthy though, and that's because capitalism reigns supreme and because our empire is quite far stretching. Just like how Rome was the most wealthy of all the cities in the Roman empire. The country that owns the worlds resources will be the wealthiest. Now that won't last forever, which is why i have high hopes that Obama will help the US through the transition period as we loose control and have to compete on a fair basis with the rest of the world.

I've wanted to leave the US, because of the stupid politics that goes on, especially most of us voting in a president who couldn't even name who our allies are, much less who we're fighting. Either way, there are plenty of stupid people in the US, which means, if you're educated, it'll be that much easier to land a well paying job.

What are you going into by the way?

The American dream has somewhat died out, but i would say it's more transformed. It used to be that if you tried, you'd be successful, now it's more like; if you have a good idea and capitalize on that, you'll be successful. Either way, small business makes up the majority of the country, so if you do try, you can make it so far.

Anyways, the US is starting to hit a turning point, and i'm not so inclined to leave anymore. Life will be difficult in the aftermath of a recession, but steps are being taken to ensure something like that doesn't happen again. (Ending the bubble and burst economy).

Canada is a fun place...and another benefit is that weed is real cheap there, but i can barely stand the politics of my country...i wouldn't be able to go to Canada. The only other countries i've considered going to were in Europe, and only the most liberal at that.
  17. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Cant say British life is working for me. The fundamental things to my life here are draining me.

I'm not going to kid myself, the dream and the immense desire to go to the US has a lot to do with how crap I'm finding life here and wanting to find somewhere to start new.

Maybe Toronto is a possibility.
  18. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I will have a degree in business and management, which opens up a few doors job wise. I cannot get into the US to get to those jobs though.:mellow:

Perhaps I am a fret to the wealthy american white man, instead of some cheap labour to cut their business costs
  19. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

Fat greedy corporations that have a worldwide influence that ensures peace throughout most countries. Microsoft/Apple, have worldwide reach. Plus, a fact i read recently, no country with a McDoanalds has ever threatened to attack, or attacked the US. We hold capitalism and globalization as the pinnacle of economic stability for the world, and it ensures peace because to attack another country, would be devastating to your economy. Yea the US has 'fat greedy corporations' but only because our corporations grew the fastest and spread the farthest. Any country with a strong economy (IE Japan, at least they also have huge corporations with worldwide reach) could have the same thing said about them.

The stinkingly rich, and poor, both receive treatment, it's just that the poor one will most likely be put into bankruptcy because of it. But if you pay attention to US politics at the moment, you'd know that Obama is putting forth his best effort to get a healthcare system that covers all Americans and keeps them from going bankrupt because they have cancer, diabetes or any other illnesses.

The part about drugs and rapists is a sad truth. People with small amounts of drugs can face heavy fines and sometimes even jail time. Which is sad, and is something that is also slowly changing. Marijuana use in the US has never been higher (since the 70's) and never closer to legalization, than it is now (i'm hoping that Obama gets elected to a second term, cause i'm sure he will legalize it). Many states have legalized it for 'medical' use. But you can get a license for medical use for just about any reason you could think of. rapists and murderers getting released is a positive statement of our justice system. We'd rather let a guilty man go free, than let an innocent go to jail. But is it really a fault in our system? Nobody goes free because of "misplaced papers". People go free when something is corrupted. IE the police didn't follow proper procedures, or if a jury finds them to be innocent. Unfortunately there is a system that needs to be followed, or if you prefer you could go to a country like China where people get locked up when they ask for basic human rights. You can be too harsh and have a system that locks people up, with little representation on their side, leading to more innocent people being convicted of murders/crimes they never committed, or you could follow a more lenient system where people get tried and sometimes get off, but there are less innocent people sentenced to jail.

And unfortunately that's how things work with parents. They want their kids to be taken care of. I know my parents are hardly rich, but they have enough money saved away so i can go to college and now worry about taking out too many loans. My friend is sadly one of those who received quite alot of money and he doesn't really do a whole lot with his life. But that money was earned by his parents and if they decide to give it to him, and he decides that he doesn't wanna do jack shit with his life...that's his decision and his alone. The money was earned through someone's hard work.

You also keep saying this like it's the typical american. cuase it's not. I'm not sure if you know this, but 95% of American's aren't the filthy rich as you describe them to be. 95% of Americans make less than 250,000 a year. They don't have that kind of money to pass onto their kids.

I will agree with you on this part though...i call them republicans..hahaha. The party that represents the rich/special interests (aka the rich corporations who like the status quo), and also represent the most religious who are against equality (that's a fault with Christianity though), and reasoned thinking.

There are faults in every country and the US is no different, but i think most of our faults lie with our actions outside our country (ie how we handle situations with foreign countries). But i'd say, the US is one of the best countries to live in as a citizen, with full unalienable rights, if you value freedom, (in every definition of the word)
  20. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

Buisness and management types aren't the places the US tries to cut costs. We send our manual labor type jobs overseas to cut costs (like factories). Buissnesmen sit in the US and reap the rewards.

Yea, i'm not sure how jobs would work with your field. But you could try working for a corporation, (for example Microsoft in the UK) and then when there's an opening in the US division of that corporation, you transfer (i'm sure things'll be much easier that way). I know my uncle works for Harley Davidson motorcycle company, and he's been all over the world several times (well places where HD has business relations anyways), and he's able to transfer back and forth quite easily cause his company allows him to.

like i said i know it's rather easy to get into the US for education purposes. I didn't think it would be that difficult from the UK, but i know i've had alot of my family in India come to the US for education, and none of them had any trouble getting into the US or getting green cards/visas to get in. And i can only imagine it would be both easier and cheaper to get into the US if you're coming from the UK vs coming from India.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.