I want to start smoking, opinions please.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Joshy, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

I want to start smoking as an experiment to see what it's like. (I'm talking about cigarettes by the way. )
    But I also want to start smoking because in my perspective I think it looks cool.

If you've NEVER smoked before, or you ONLY KNOW people who smoked, don't comment here.
    I want to hear it from actual people who smoke or use to smoke for experimental reasons, etc.
  2. Joshuwa

Joshuwa Well-Known Member

i've smoked for 7 years now, and i must say it's a huge waste of money!
    it's also a less than desirable trait to the opposite sex, i've been shot down more times than i care to admit by someone i've had affectionate interest for just because they thought that smoking was disgusting.

that piled ontop of the serious health decline you experience, it's really a terrible thing.

Quitting, it's number 2 on my list of things to do right now, straight after getting a new car!
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I also smoked for a while for the same reason..it looked cool and I was rebelling..
    It cost the earth and wasted so much money.
    I got the worst cough and the smell of smoke was constantly in my clothes, hair, skin..
    my then BF told me it was him or the smokes..
    He won!

I would never date anyone who smells like cigarettes..and the smell of it causes me now to have asthma..

my Dad got emphysema from smoking and died a long suffering death.
    one of my kids has lung problems from smoking.
    it might look cool but it has so many negatives I don't reckon it's worth trying them..

and they're addictive.!!
    I was lucky I hadn't been smoking for long and was able to quit.
    most people find it hard once they start.

I'm glad you're weighing the pros and cons first..*hug*
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have smoked nearly all my adult life.
    Have spent a fortune on cigarettes and all methods of giving up.
    If I could turn the clock back to that first cigarette I'd throw the damn thing away!
  5. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I started smoking soon after I started cross-dressing, I thought it would fit my female personality so it wasn't often when I smoked soon though I started smoking when I wasn't cross-dressing, however I only smoked when I was feeling unemotional, it didn't really help but I kept doing it regardless. I smoked on and off for about a year, now I've stopped completely, I never got addicted to it, so stopping was incredibly easy for me.

I do sometimes get the urge to smoke but smoking for me was never about nicotine or trying to fit in, I think it was a symbol of my female alter-ego, whenever I wanted a cigarette I can hear my alter-ego screaming to be let out, so to speak. Perhaps that's why I started smoking when I wasn't cross-dressing, instead of actually wanting a cigarette maybe I just wanted to cross-dress......I dunno, I'm probably looking to deep into it.

I also have a bit of a fetish for women who smoke.
  6. letty

letty Banned Member

I smoked for a few years, and when i quit it was hard, but i was tired of the smell in my hair , skin, clothes
    and my taste buds were changing, sometimes I want one especialy when I have a drink, but i dont enjoy it anymore
    the cigarette gets me sick to my stomach. you dont want to get hooked on cigarettes.
  7. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

You know what looks cooler? Almost anything you can buy with the hundreds of dollars your gonna save if you don't smoke.
  8. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

JOshy, do not start this terrible frigging habit.. i have been a smoker for 47 yrs now.. addictive mentally, physically and all sorts of ways.. once the habit has attached easier to kick heroin thsn this fucking habit..$80 a carton.. kills your lungs and heart.. stinks and you end up chaining the damn things along with all your other vices such as booze and drugs.. i kicked the drugs and booze almsot 33 yrs ago but cigs have not figured out how to stop yet...

take care of you and do not start this habit..
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've been smoking for about 10 years, back in the day I thought it was 'cool'. Soon after though when I got seriously addicted I regretted that first cigarette so much, I feel trapped in a way because I'm unable to stop. Please, please, please DO NOT START SMOKING. There's nothing cool about it, it wastes all your money and makes your clothes and hair and home stick of cigarettes, don't do it!
  10. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I smoked for about 5 years. The mental addiction is harder than the physical addiction. I leave it in your capable hands as to whether to start.
  11. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

I've smoked before, not a big deal and it doesn't look cool. 99% of the people who try cigarrettes gets addicted to them, only a small percentage doesn't, at least that's what I believe since I never got anxious for not smoking. I only feel the need to smoke when I've already gulp down 5 beers, the rest of the time I just don't and don't feel like it.
  12. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

dude, I'm 17 and I smoked just to experiment for a bit. Don't do it dude, there are no pros, only cons.
  13. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

I smoke and sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. If I'd never started, I wouldn't take it up now. I hate the smell, I hate the effects on my fingers and skin and teeth, and I hate telling other people I smoke because of their reactions.

So why do I do it? Probably for the same reason I do any other self-destructive behaviour... because I can't make the good choice not to.
  14. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Dont take this habit up trust me easy to start very hard to stop plus it hits the pocket nowadays
  15. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I used to smoke. I didn't start because it looked cool, though I did feel rebellious smoking when I was underage... the only reason I started was because I was bored and suicidal, and all of my friends smoked, so I thought "why not?" I tried it and found it to be relaxing... next thing I know I was smoking a pack a day, and did it for 15 years. The thing is, it's unhealthy... it's expensive... it's addictive... it makes you smell bad, makes your teeth and fingers yellow, kills your sense of taste and smell, makes other people avoid you, forces you to go outside in all kinds of weather, smells up your car, your house, your clothes, you end up covered in ash and occasionally get cigarette burns in your clothes, your furniture, your carpet, your car's upholstery, etc.; and after doing it for years, it no longer really relaxes you. In fact, it stresses you out even more any time you don't have a cigarette.

I'm not being judgmental or anything... do what you want, it's your life, and there's nothing wrong with experimenting with something to see if you'd like it or not... one or two cigarettes are not going to kill you. But I personally wouldn't recommend you take up the habit. It can be nice at first, but like almost anything else, your tolerance builds over time and it won't bring you the same pleasure that it did in the beginning. It started off as something that I wanted to do and ended up feeling like something that I had to do... as in, it was no longer "it would be nice to have a cigarette right now", but rather "if I don't get a cigarette soon, I'm going to fucking kill somebody". I'm glad I finally managed to quit... it took me a few tries before I was able to kick the habit, and it was probably the hardest thing I ever tried to give up. And this is coming from somebody who has used drugs and alcohol.
  16. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

You won't necessarily get addicted if you start smoking. I think it depends on if you get easily addicted to other things. I only really smoke when I've got too much going on or I'm on a self-destructive binge. I never got addicted, so I think it's possible to do it as a hobby.
  17. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

I also was lucky enough to never get addicted to smoking - im a social smoker, if im around other who are smoking i join in. i went from having 5 or 6 a day a few months back, to none a day when i moved in with my parents, and i still have the pack sitting in my room.

I hate to be that person but i enjoy smoking, in fact i love it. sure there are alot of cons like its unhealthy, costs money, you can get addicted, but in my opinion its no worse an addiction than alcohol or fatty foods. everyones gotta die somehow. However with the cool thing, alot of people nowadays dont think its cool, a know a lot of people who wouldnt go near a smoker.
  18. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Starting smoking is like 'white lines'....ddddddon't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I'd say try it Once and then forget about it, that's what I would do if I could go back (I never really understood how can someone go through high-school without even trying it once). If you start smoking it will be hard to quit.

(this comes from someone who loves smoking for no particular reason, because there are no reasons to smoke except for the habit you develop, the horrible addiction that will kill you:)
  20. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I started smoking a few months ago, and it's not really all that cool to have to spend shittons of money on it all the time. It gave me a buzz at first because I wasn't tolerant to the nicotine, that's why I liked it, but when I got hooked I didn't feel anything anymore. Not really worth it, if you ask me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.