• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

I want to volunteer for a suicide hotline

iwihbn

Don't the sun look angry at me?
Hey, its me again.
How would I go about volunteering for this? I'd like to help people, and I think I can help them since I've been suicidal so many times and thus can empathize more easily than others.

I think you could do more or less the same thing right on SF.

If you want to volunteer for a hotline specifically, my guess is that they'd have a link to volunteering opportunities on their website.

iwihbn

I think you could do more or less the same thing right on SF.

If you want to volunteer for a hotline specifically, my guess is that they'd have a link to volunteering opportunities on their website.
A hotline specifically. I take too much from here and don't know how to help with a lot of situations. I'm still a student though which is a problem, as I cant take normal office hours nor commute.

iwihbn

I used to want to do the same, but after researching it for a while, I decided I'd rather try helping out here and on Facebook.
That sounds fair. I feel like this is a less well-known community so I might just direct more people here if I see them struggling, if thats allowed.

iwihbn

I don't understand.

The same would be true with a hotline, I think, except then you can't just drop the call. With threads, if you don't know how to help, you can just move on to the the next thread.
I make more posts than I give good advice or empathy. It feels like I take too much without giving anything back. In a call I would have to help, and I'm much more empathetic on voice rather than text.

I make more posts than I give good advice or empathy. It feels like I take too much without giving anything back
It's ok to ask for and get support on SF. Doing that doesn't really take away from anyone else.
In a call I would have to help, and I'm much more empathetic on voice rather than text
Hotlines are needed too, so if that's a better match for you, then that might be good.

If you’re in the uk you can train to become a shout volunteer. The training is online and you support via text whenever you want to from your own home. If you prefer to talk then train as a Samaritan. It’s something I aspire to do myself one day to give back for all the support they have given me over the past year. Xx

iwihbn

If you’re in the uk you can train to become a shout volunteer. The training is online and you support via text whenever you want to from your own home. If you prefer to talk then train as a Samaritan. It’s something I aspire to do myself one day to give back for all the support they have given me over the past year. Xx
Oh DAMN that sounds excellent.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$255.00