I want to write a letter to a police officer

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sadhart, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Last month, something happened where I had to deal with a cop. I wasn't arrested or anything, but the cop was being pretty biased and talking down on me a little. On one end, I know he was doing his job, and so I can't really file a complaint, as I don't think he did anything to violate my rights. On the other hand, he was being a dumbass, and only listening to one person's side and making comments towards me that was uncalled for.

I want to write a personal letter to him, and NO, it isn't to call him names or be outright angry (which I still somewhat am) but it's to let him know that a lot of the assumptions he made was wrong and I didn't appreciate it. I want him to know that it wasn't fair how he kind of slammed my character and seemed to ignore there was a bigger picture.

So I'm not sure what I'm asking is the right way, but has anyone ever done something like this or similar to it? Sorry if I asked that wrong.
  2. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

If it makes you feel better, go for it, but it likely won't change his practices at all, and he may reply with something snide. There are so many dumbass people in the world you will have to deal with you would have to make writing letters your full-time job.
  3. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

It's possible to do something like this, unless you live in a big city with a large police force in which case they wouldn't waste their time in listening to you, but you could talk to someone at the station about getting a letter through to an officer if they could determine who you spoke to.

I wouldn't suggest doing it, though. Nothing will be gained by doing it. If the officer actually reads it, and manages to remember who it's from, he's not really going to care. It would be the equivalent of someone from your job (like a customer or whatever the equivalent is at your job) that you encountered at some point randomly sending you a letter telling you about how they didn't care for the way you treated them. How much would you care if you received a letter like that from someone you don't even remember? Not a whole lot.

There are people that behave in a way that you won't like everywhere. You probably encounter one every day. If you get this hung up on every one, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Just let it go and move on.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Is there anything you could have done in a gracious way to advocate for yourself? Maybe this should be the take-away as well...the nature of the comments made will determine if there is any way to take it further...I do not agree with the lack of responsiveness in a big city, more specifically New York...One Police Plaza has many outreach programs for the hiring and negotiation of issues of diversity, LGBT alliances and such...The Southern Poverty Law Center is an excellent resource regarding one's rights and has been a champion of such for many years...maybe these resources will give you a guideline for whether the officer's behavior would be considered rude or against policy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.