I was asked to post how I lost a significant amount of weight.........

Kolisar

SF Supporter
My dear friend, @Petal, had asked that I share my weight loss story in the hope that it may help other members of the SF community. I have lost a significant amount of weight on the past 15 months (148 pounds, 67.1317 kg, 10.5714 stone). All without fad diets, medication, surgery, or even any real exercise to be honest. I also did not starve myself, or eliminate anything from my diet. But, before I explain, let me provide a little background:

@Petal suggested a number of topics I should cover, I will divide this post into sections to address everything she asked me to address, and one or two of my own.

I will try to keep this brief, but this may end up being a long post. I apologize in advance.

I have always been heavy, for most of my life I have been either obese or morbidly obese.

I have experienced a lifetime of disgusted looks, bullying, and more subtle chastising. Oddly, the most harmful was when a soldier who was sat next to me on a flight changed seats, clearly because he did not want to sit next to the fat guy. It was embarrassing enough that I had to squeeze myself into the seat, and that the seatbelt barely closed (it was very difficult, but I was far too ashamed to ask for a seatbelt extension).

I have always had the usual body shame. My self image (which I have been told is inaccurate) can be best described as resembling the Yellow Eyed Demon from the TV show Legion (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/bmubl0znparssrzw5tya.png). I have always avoided mirrors, my reflection in office or building windows, and even refused to allow my photo to be taken, to the point where I almost refused an award at my current job (which I received in the first six months) because they wanted to take a photograph (with a professional photographer). I eventually relented out of respect for my manager who put me up for the award, but I actively avoided viewing the photograph for the few months it was displayed in all of our facilities as I was disgusted with my image. Every time I would see myself I would hear echos of what I heard as a child: "You're disgusting", "Fat pig", "You make me sick". The echos were primarily from family.

Food became a coping mechanism, which as we all know is very common amongst those of us who struggle with weight. In 1990 Dr. Janet Greeson released a book with the title "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You". I have not read that book, but the title is profound. For decades I used food to push down sadness, self-loathing, and depression.

Despite being morbidly obese for the majority of my life, I had never had high blood pressure, of high cholesterol. This would annoy a couple coworkers in my previous job to no end. They both worked out religiously, and were in excellent physical shape. One was former military and looked like he could jump back in without breaking a sweat. But, they both have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and both take medication for it.

March 1, 2017 I went for a routine physical, and that all changed. I had high cholesterol. For the first time in my 51 years on the planet (at that time), I had high cholesterol. My blood pressure was fine, but the cholesterol was very high. My doctor game me a choice, lose weight or get on medication. I like this doctor. Unlike my previous doctor, she does not talk down to you, and makes you feel like you are part of the process, not just scolding you because you are overweight.

I also do not like taking medication. The combination of a nice doctor who was cooperative and not adversarial, and my aversion to medication, left me with one choice: Lose Weight!

She said that she holds her patients accountable, which I took as a challenge. I am not a competitive person, but I do enjoy a challenge. March 1, 2017 was a Wednesday. On Saturday, March 4, 2017, I weighted myself and started to change how I ate.

I weighed 330 pounds (149.685 kg, 23.5714 stone). I believe that is probably more than a human male, who is 5' 7" tall (170.18 cm) should weigh. To be honest, I am not sure if a human is supposed to weigh that much. I am not judging anyone else, just myself.

I am not an expert in dieting, nutrition, or anything for that matter. I tried to look at this from an honest, common sense perspective.

The first thing I had to do was understand why I was morbidly obese. That was the easy part:

I ate too much. I ate too much of the "wrong" food (there are no "wrong" foods, but that is the best way to phrase that realization). I also was far too sedentary.

So, for those who stuck around and read through all of the above, I will now explain what I did?

========================================

What I did

As simplistic as it sounds, I just make better choices and controlled my portions. I started by making small substitutions.

I eat out a couple times a week (I also eat at the company cafeteria, but restaurants are the bigger problem).

So, on an evening out my typical order would be (for this example, at Longhorn Steakhouse)

About 1/3 of the Honey Wheat Bread that they give you
Mixed Greens Side Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
12 oz Prime Rib
A baked potato with extra sour cream (so, double the normal amount)

This is one meal. Let's take a look at the numbers:

1/3 Bread:
Calories: 190
Fat: 3g
Carbs; 34g

Mixed Greens Side Salad:
Calories: 100
Fat: 4.5g
Carbs; 12g

Thousand Island Dressing:
Calories: 140
Fat; 14g
Carbs: 3g

Baked Potato:
Calories: 280
Fat: 0.5g
Carbs: 63g

2x Sour Cream
Calories: 80
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 4g

12oz Prime Rib:
Calories: 740
Fat: 46g
Carbs: 0g

Let's add that up:

Calories: 1530
Fat: 75g
Carbs: 116

According to one site, in order for me to maintain a healthy weight for my height I should have, per DAY:

Calories: 1849
Fat: 51g
Carbs: 215g

That one meal is:
Calories: 82.7% of DAILY calories
Fat: 147% of DAILY fat
Carbs: 53.9% of Daily Carbs

That is one meal, and I used to get he 16oz prime rib, but I cut back before the initial Doctor's visit in the hope that small change would help with the pending blood test....it didn't.

I realized that I had to make some changes. As difficult as it was, I had to change how I ate.

For the meal above I changed the prime rib to the 6oz Renegade Sirloin.

6oz Renegade Sirloin
Calories: 320
Fat: 15g
Carbs: 2g

I replaced the Baked Potato (with extra sour cream) so a "dry" baked sweet potato (which, has plenty of flavor on its own).

Plain Baked Sweet Potato
Calories: 240
Fat: 1g
Carbs: 50g

That resulted in reduction of:

Calories: (540)
Fat: (37.5)g
Carbs: (15)g

NOTE: I still eat the bread, and I still eat the salad, unchanged.

The total for the entire meal before the changes was:

and after the changes:

Calories: 990
Fat: 37.5g
Carbs: 200g

Or as a percentage:

or, as a percentage, a reduction of:

Calories: (35)%
Fat: (50)%
Carbs: (13)%

Those two, let's be honest, small, changes, resulted in a 35% reduction in calories for that one meal, and a 50% reduction in fat.

Now, that meal is still probably has far too many calories and too much fat, but those two minor changes made a significant difference.

That is all I have done. I make small substitutions, better choices.

It sounds simplistic, and it is.

It takes research. You have to pay close attention to what you eat, at least initially until you get a feel for what works.

At the end I will list some tips for those just starting out (so sorry, you will have to keep reading).

How I motivated myself

Motivation can be difficult, especially in the beginning. Try to commit yourself to the changes for at least one month. It will be difficult, and you may stumble along the way, but if you make simple changes like the ones I mentioned above, and you actually have weight to lose, you will lose weight.

Once you start to lose weight the motivation will be easier to maintain. As your clothes start to get looser, and people start to comment, you will feel motivational momentum start to build. You start to look forward to having to move to the next hole in your belt; to have to buy new clothing because all of your clothes are far too loose and you have to replace them.

As you lose more, more people will notice. It takes people not only a while to notice, but then many are uncomfortable asking or commenting. One person at my current job commented after I had lost about 60 pounds or so. She was afraid to say something before as she feared that the weight loss was not intentional; that I may have fallen ill. So don't become discouraged if people don't notice right away. Be patient, stay focused, they will notice and they will start asking you for advice (I am currently helping quite a few people at my office and even online).

How I have kept it off

Keeping it off has not been difficult. Partially because I am still losing (I have about 20-30 more I want to lose), and partially because this is not a diet. This is a "lifestyle change" (that phrase seems trite to me, but it is accurate and concise).

Also, you will occasionally gain a little weight. That is normal. Do not panic! It is just a small hiccup and you will get back on track. In my journey so far there were eight weeks when I gained weight, the largest was a four pound gain. I was upset, but I didn't give up. I realize that it took a long time to gain all the weight, it will take time to lose it. And, sometimes there are factors that are out of your control. It may have absolutely nothing to do with what you are eating. Stress and anxiety can affect your weight loss.

Advice for people starting out

There are a number of things that I believe will help people starting on this journey.

1) Relax. You will lose in uneven amounts, and occasionally gain weight during this process. This is a long term project. You are making changes for your entire life, you have to look at everything in that scale If you gain a few pounds during a week, focus on the overall progress. Sometimes you have to turn back to get ahead.

2) Only weigh your self once per week. For me, weighing myself every day caused undue stress and I ended up starving myself (I lost weight before this time, and I did everything wrong and ended up gaining it all back and more).

3) The internet is a wonderful thing. Most restaurants post nutritional information. Plan ahead if you are eating out.

4) The internet is a horrible thing. There is far too much false information, diet fads and "tricks" that may provide quick initial results but are not maintainable. If you search for weight loss advice on the internet, please consult with your doctor. It is very easy to write up things that sound convincing but are false. Please be careful.

5) Learn to read nutritional labels. Research what your specific needs are (they vary based on age, current and desired weight, height, and gender).

6) Make small changes. Don't change everything at once. Take it slow. Gradual changes may be easier.

7) Get reliable bathroom scale and a reliable food scale with a "zero" or "tare" function, and one that can measure in both ounces and grams.

8) Find good cookbooks for healthier food. If you make food at home you know exactly what is in it.

9) Sugars, and fats are to be reduced. Saturated fats should be avoided as much as possible.

10) Eat slowly and drink a full glass of water a few minutes before your meal.

110 (this is the most important) Do this for yourself! If you are losing weight to get the attention of a romantic interest or to win the approval of someone else, that is the wrong reason and if they cannot appreciate you as you are now, they do not deserve you. Losing weight will not change your personality or heart. You may be happier with the packaging, but you will still be you, and if someone is too lazy to get to know you as you are now, they do not deserve to have you in their life when you are thinner.

The following cookbooks have helped me:

Comfort Food Fix - Ellie Krieger
The Food You Crave - Ellie Krieger
So Easy - Ellie Krieger
Now Eat This - Rocco Dispirito
Cooking Light Incredibly Decadent Deserts - Deb Wise
Cooking Light, way to bake
Small Changes, Big Results - Ellie Krieger
Better Homes and Gardens, the Ultimate Quick & Healthy
Cooking Light, The New Way To Cook Light
Cooking Light, Global Kitchen
Cooking Light, dinner's ready
Flat Belly Diet Cookbook

This is the bathroom scale I use (very accurate and consistent)

https://smile.amazon.com/TAP8657-TAYLOR-Digital-Lithium-Bamboo/dp/B005JISM3K

This is the food scale I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Nutrition-Scale/dp/B06X3ZVRPS

Changes since the weight loss

I am still getting used to my smaller body. I see my reflection and I am surprised with what I see.

I have more energy. I do not get tired climbing multiple flights of stairs.

I am amazed as how small my clothes are. I have lost 16" from my waist. Every morning when I get dressed I am still amazed at how small the waist is compared to the clothes I used to wear.

I have much more confidence. As is very common with overweight people, I was very ashamed to just exist. I did not want to be seen or noticed. That is starting to fade. I still have the residual fear of having photographs taken, but that is starting to go away as well as I am not nearly as disappointed in image as I was before.

A closing comment

You will get frustrated. You will become disheartened. Hang in there. You can do this. It may be difficult, but it will get easier and it will be worth the effort.

I want to thank this forum, and its many wonderful members. I will not put specific names here as I am afraid I may forget someone. Those to whom I am grateful already know who they are.

I will do my best to check in on this thread to answer any questions that I can. I would prefer to keep discussions on this thread so that everyone can benefit from questions and answers.

If you are uncomfortable posting questions or certain information on a "public" thread, feel free to send me a private message. I will usually answer as quickly as I can, in most cases the same day. I am in the US and on the East Coast, and have a full time job, please keep those in mind. I will not ignore any messages, but I do have a job and need sleep.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
PERFECT post, I applaud you. We can all learn from you, the best. One day I will beat your weigh-in :P This is very informative, very motivating and very inspiring. You have come a long way and you didn't leave bumps in the road bother you. Love how the small changes made a big difference, that is something we can all learn from, thanks for pointing it out. It is way better than I expected it and I know you work long hours and it took you time to write this, all I can say is a huge THANK YOU. You are incredible. At 148 weight loss you should be on TV showing them how to do it :P Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I was up a pound this week and this post (its great that's its long and detailed btw) has just given me a wave of motivation and sense of relief that it really is possible for me to be a healthy weight again, in a healthy manner.

I will tag our folks that are in the weight loss challenge so it can inspire us all - thanks again.

@sassy123 @Woowoo @Kiwi2016 @Mishka1204 @Witty_Sarcasm @Leav @DamCore @DrownedFishOnFire @Innocent Forever @HumanExMachina @nobodyknows71

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
It takes eating 3500 less calories than what your normal calorie intake should be in order to lose one (US) pound, and 3500 more calories than your normal calorie intake to gain a pound.

For example, say your normal calorie intake should be 1200/day. If you eat:

Sunday: 1000 calories
Monday: 1400 calories
Tuesday: 2500 calories
Wednesday: 1300 calories
Thursday: 3000 calories
Friday: 2200 calories
Saturday: 1100 calories

First of all, you would figure out how many calories would be healthy for you to have had that week by multiplying 1200 times 7. You get 8400. So in one week, to maintain your weight, you would need to have eaten 8400 calories.

Now let's figure out how much was really eaten in the week I used as an example by adding all of the actual calories eaten in those 7 days. I got 12,500. Hopefully I'm right because I added it all real quick in my head.

So now we know that 8,400 is what should have been eaten to maintain weight. But if 12,500 was actually eaten, and it takes 3,500 more than what you need to gain a pound, you would now subtract 12,500 minus 8,400 and you get 4,100 more calories than you should have eaten. So that week, you would have gained a little bit more than 1 pound. Maybe like 1.2 pounds or something (you can do this more accurately too by figuring out what percent of 3500 equals 600, or in other words, divide 600 by 3500 and then add that on to the one pound gained, but I'm being lazy at the moment).

This would work the same way if you ate less than the 8,400. Say instead of 12,500, you ate 5000. So then you would do 8,400 minus 5000 and you get 3400. In that case, you would have lost almost exactly one pound that week.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
This is a lot to unpack, but I will when my brain logs back in for the week. Thanks everybody:)
My calculations weren't counting actual daily calories burned, by the way. There is a certain amount of calories each individual burns daily even while being stationary. So that should be factored into the equation too. You can Google this and put in your height and weight and daily activities to figure this part out too, and then you would subtract that from your weekly calorie intake before you figure out what exactly you gained/lost.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
My calculations weren't counting actual daily calories burned, by the way. There is a certain amount of calories each individual burns daily even while being stationary. So that should be factored into the equation too. You can Google this and put in your height and weight and daily activities to figure this part out too, and then you would subtract that from your weekly calorie intake before you figure out what exactly you gained/lost.
So much math:( This is one of the reasons why I don't set number goals for myself. I hate math. (and it hates me right back)

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
So much math:( This is one of the reasons why I don't set number goals for myself. I hate math. (and it hates me right back)
Lol. This is all just addition/subtraction/multiplication/division. It may seem like a lot of numbers and a bit complicated, but it really is simple once you get the hang of it. If you're not sure how to figure this out, give me all of your numbers for the week and I will help you (and this goes for anyone else too) to figure it out.

I could have been a total ass and thrown algebra into the mix. ie. 3500X = 600 instead of simply 600/3500. But I'm a sweetheart, so I decided not to :p

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
This is all just addition/subtraction/multiplication/division.
Is that all? :(
I could have been a total ass and thrown algebra into the mix.
Oh, God:(

I'm exaggerating slightly, addition and subtraction is easy (laughing condescendingly)

Seriously though, this is all very good, real world information. Anyone who wants to be healthier should read it very carefully.

DamCore

Life is a Gamble
My dear friend, @Petal, had asked that I share my weight loss story in the hope that it may help other members of the SF community. I have lost a significant amount of weight on the past 15 months (148 pounds, 67.1317 kg, 10.5714 stone). All without fad diets, medication, surgery, or even any real exercise to be honest. I also did not starve myself, or eliminate anything from my diet. But, before I explain, let me provide a little background:

@Petal suggested a number of topics I should cover, I will divide this post into sections to address everything she asked me to address, and one or two of my own.

I will try to keep this brief, but this may end up being a long post. I apologize in advance.

I have always been heavy, for most of my life I have been either obese or morbidly obese.

I have experienced a lifetime of disgusted looks, bullying, and more subtle chastising. Oddly, the most harmful was when a soldier who was sat next to me on a flight changed seats, clearly because he did not want to sit next to the fat guy. It was embarrassing enough that I had to squeeze myself into the seat, and that the seatbelt barely closed (it was very difficult, but I was far too ashamed to ask for a seatbelt extension).

I have always had the usual body shame. My self image (which I have been told is inaccurate) can be best described as resembling the Yellow Eyed Demon from the TV show Legion (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/bmubl0znparssrzw5tya.png). I have always avoided mirrors, my reflection in office or building windows, and even refused to allow my photo to be taken, to the point where I almost refused an award at my current job (which I received in the first six months) because they wanted to take a photograph (with a professional photographer). I eventually relented out of respect for my manager who put me up for the award, but I actively avoided viewing the photograph for the few months it was displayed in all of our facilities as I was disgusted with my image. Every time I would see myself I would hear echos of what I heard as a child: "You're disgusting", "Fat pig", "You make me sick". The echos were primarily from family.

Food became a coping mechanism, which as we all know is very common amongst those of us who struggle with weight. In 1990 Dr. Janet Greeson released a book with the title "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You". I have not read that book, but the title is profound. For decades I used food to push down sadness, self-loathing, and depression.

Despite being morbidly obese for the majority of my life, I had never had high blood pressure, of high cholesterol. This would annoy a couple coworkers in my previous job to no end. They both worked out religiously, and were in excellent physical shape. One was former military and looked like he could jump back in without breaking a sweat. But, they both have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and both take medication for it.

March 1, 2017 I went for a routine physical, and that all changed. I had high cholesterol. For the first time in my 51 years on the planet (at that time), I had high cholesterol. My blood pressure was fine, but the cholesterol was very high. My doctor game me a choice, lose weight or get on medication. I like this doctor. Unlike my previous doctor, she does not talk down to you, and makes you feel like you are part of the process, not just scolding you because you are overweight.

I also do not like taking medication. The combination of a nice doctor who was cooperative and not adversarial, and my aversion to medication, left me with one choice: Lose Weight!

She said that she holds her patients accountable, which I took as a challenge. I am not a competitive person, but I do enjoy a challenge. March 1, 2017 was a Wednesday. On Saturday, March 4, 2017, I weighted myself and started to change how I ate.

I weighed 330 pounds (149.685 kg, 23.5714 stone). I believe that is probably more than a human male, who is 5' 7" tall (170.18 cm) should weigh. To be honest, I am not sure if a human is supposed to weigh that much. I am not judging anyone else, just myself.

I am not an expert in dieting, nutrition, or anything for that matter. I tried to look at this from an honest, common sense perspective.

The first thing I had to do was understand why I was morbidly obese. That was the easy part:

I ate too much. I ate too much of the "wrong" food (there are no "wrong" foods, but that is the best way to phrase that realization). I also was far too sedentary.

So, for those who stuck around and read through all of the above, I will now explain what I did?

What I did

As simplistic as it sounds, I just make better choices and controlled my portions. I started by making small substitutions.

I eat out a couple times a week (I also eat at the company cafeteria, but restaurants are the bigger problem).

So, on an evening out my typical order would be (for this example, at Longhorn Steakhouse)

About 1/3 of the Honey Wheat Bread that they give you
Mixed Greens Side Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
12 oz Prime Rib
A baked potato with extra sour cream (so, double the normal amount)

This is one meal. Let's take a look at the numbers:

1/3 Bread:
Calories: 190
Fat: 3g
Carbs; 34g

Mixed Greens Side Salad:
Calories: 100
Fat: 4.5g
Carbs; 12g

Thousand Island Dressing:
Calories: 140
Fat; 14g
Carbs: 3g

Baked Potato:
Calories: 280
Fat: 0.5g
Carbs: 63g

2x Sour Cream
Calories: 80
Fat: 7g
Carbs: 4g

12oz Prime Rib:
Calories: 740
Fat: 46g
Carbs: 0g

Let's add that up:

According to one site, in order for me to maintain a healthy weight for my height I should have, per DAY:

Calories: 1849
Fat: 51g
Carbs: 215g

That one meal is:
Calories: 82.7% of DAILY calories
Fat: 147% of DAILY fat
Carbs: 53.9% of Daily Carbs

That is one meal, and I used to get he 16oz prime rib, but I cut back before the initial Doctor's visit in the hope that small change would help with the pending blood test....it didn't.

I realized that I had to make some changes. As difficult as it was, I had to change how I ate.

For the meal above I changed the prime rib to the 6oz Renegade Sirloin.

6oz Renegade Sirloin
Calories: 320
Fat: 15g
Carbs: 2g

I replaced the Baked Potato (with extra sour cream) so a "dry" baked sweet potato (which, has plenty of flavor on its own).

Plain Baked Sweet Potato
Calories: 240
Fat: 1g
Carbs: 50g

That resulted in reduction of:

Calories: (540)
Fat: (37.5)g
Carbs: (15)g

NOTE: I still eat the bread, and I still eat the salad, unchanged.

The total for the entire meal before the changes was:

and after the changes:

Calories: 990
Fat: 37.5g
Carbs: 200g

Or as a percentage:

or, as a percentage, a reduction of:

Calories: (35)%
Fat: (50)%
Carbs: (13)%

Those two, let's be honest, small, changes, resulted in a 35% reduction in calories for that one meal, and a 50% reduction in fat.

Now, that meal is still probably has far too many calories and too much fat, but those two minor changes made a significant difference.

That is all I have done. I make small substitutions, better choices.

It sounds simplistic, and it is.

It takes research. You have to pay close attention to what you eat, at least initially until you get a feel for what works.

At the end I will list some tips for those just starting out (so sorry, you will have to keep reading).

How I motivated myself

Motivation can be difficult, especially in the beginning. Try to commit yourself to the changes for at least one month. It will be difficult, and you may stumble along the way, but if you make simple changes like the ones I mentioned above, and you actually have weight to lose, you will lose weight.

Once you start to lose weight the motivation will be easier to maintain. As your clothes start to get looser, and people start to comment, you will feel motivational momentum start to build. You start to look forward to having to move to the next hole in your belt; to have to buy new clothing because all of your clothes are far too loose and you have to replace them.

As you lose more, more people will notice. It takes people not only a while to notice, but then many are uncomfortable asking or commenting. One person at my current job commented after I had lost about 60 pounds or so. She was afraid to say something before as she feared that the weight loss was not intentional; that I may have fallen ill. So don't become discouraged if people don't notice right away. Be patient, stay focused, they will notice and they will start asking you for advice (I am currently helping quite a few people at my office and even online).

How I have kept it off

Keeping it off has not been difficult. Partially because I am still losing (I have about 20-30 more I want to lose), and partially because this is not a diet. This is a "lifestyle change" (that phrase seems trite to me, but it is accurate and concise).

Also, you will occasionally gain a little weight. That is normal. Do not panic! It is just a small hiccup and you will get back on track. In my journey so far there were eight weeks when I gained weight, the largest was a four pound gain. I was upset, but I didn't give up. I realize that it took a long time to gain all the weight, it will take time to lose it. And, sometimes there are factors that are out of your control. It may have absolutely nothing to do with what you are eating. Stress and anxiety can affect your weight loss.

Advice for people starting out

There are a number of things that I believe will help people starting on this journey.

1) Relax. You will lose in uneven amounts, and occasionally gain weight during this process. This is a long term project. You are making changes for your entire life, you have to look at everything in that scale If you gain a few pounds during a week, focus on the overall progress. Sometimes you have to turn back to get ahead.

2) Only weigh your self once per week. For me, weighing myself every day caused undue stress and I ended up starving myself (I lost weight before this time, and I did everything wrong and ended up gaining it all back and more).

3) The internet is a wonderful thing. Most restaurants post nutritional information. Plan ahead if you are eating out.

4) The internet is a horrible thing. There is far too much false information, diet fads and "tricks" that may provide quick initial results but are not maintainable. If you search for weight loss advice on the internet, please consult with your doctor. It is very easy to write up things that sound convincing but are false. Please be careful.

5) Learn to read nutritional labels. Research what your specific needs are (they vary based on age, current and desired weight, height, and gender).

6) Make small changes. Don't change everything at once. Take it slow. Gradual changes may be easier.

7) Get reliable bathroom scale and a reliable food scale with a "zero" or "tare" function, and one that can measure in both ounces and grams.

8) Find good cookbooks for healthier food. If you make food at home you know exactly what is in it.

9) Sugars, and fats are to be reduced. Saturated fats should be avoided as much as possible.

10) Eat slowly and drink a full glass of water a few minutes before your meal.

110 (this is the most important) Do this for yourself! If you are losing weight to get the attention of a romantic interest or to win the approval of someone else, that is the wrong reason and if they cannot appreciate you as you are now, they do not deserve you. Losing weight will not change your personality or heart. You may be happier with the packaging, but you will still be you, and if someone is too lazy to get to know you as you are now, they do not deserve to have you in their life when you are thinner.

The following cookbooks have helped me:

Comfort Food Fix - Ellie Krieger
The Food You Crave - Ellie Krieger
So Easy - Ellie Krieger
Now Eat This - Rocco Dispirito
Cooking Light Incredibly Decadent Deserts - Deb Wise
Cooking Light, way to bake
Small Changes, Big Results - Ellie Krieger
Better Homes and Gardens, the Ultimate Quick & Healthy
Cooking Light, The New Way To Cook Light
Cooking Light, Global Kitchen
Cooking Light, dinner's ready
Flat Belly Diet Cookbook

This is the bathroom scale I use (very accurate and consistent)

https://smile.amazon.com/TAP8657-TAYLOR-Digital-Lithium-Bamboo/dp/B005JISM3K

This is the food scale I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Nutrition-Scale/dp/B06X3ZVRPS

Changes since the weight loss

I am still getting used to my smaller body. I see my reflection and I am surprised with what I see.

I have more energy. I do not get tired climbing multiple flights of stairs.

I am amazed as how small my clothes are. I have lost 16" from my waist. Every morning when I get dressed I am still amazed at how small the waist is compared to the clothes I used to wear.

I have much more confidence. As is very common with overweight people, I was very ashamed to just exist. I did not want to be seen or noticed. That is starting to fade. I still have the residual fear of having photographs taken, but that is starting to go away as well as I am not nearly as disappointed in image as I was before.

A closing comment

You will get frustrated. You will become disheartened. Hang in there. You can do this. It may be difficult, but it will get easier and it will be worth the effort.

I want to thank this forum, and its many wonderful members. I will not put specific names here as I am afraid I may forget someone. Those to whom I am grateful already know who they are.

I will do my best to check in on this thread to answer any questions that I can. I would prefer to keep discussions on this thread so that everyone can benefit from questions and answers.

If you are uncomfortable posting questions or certain information on a "public" thread, feel free to send me a private message. I will usually answer as quickly as I can, in most cases the same day. I am in the US and on the East Coast, and have a full time job, please keep those in mind. I will not ignore any messages, but I do have a job and need sleep.

Hey, thank you for that man, really.. But may I ask on witch side you found out, what a healthy you needs? I hope you know what I mean...

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just after reading through this again, yay for motivation I must add, 10 stone in 15 months is just mind blowing, may I ask which is the best cookbook out of the ones you posted, easiest cookbook to follow @Kolisar Thank you in advance.

Kolisar

SF Supporter
Just after reading through this again, yay for motivation I must add, 10 stone in 15 months is just mind blowing, may I ask which is the best cookbook out of the ones you posted, easiest cookbook to follow @Kolisar Thank you in advance.
Any of the Ellie Krieger books are really easy to follow. And the "Cooking Light Incredibly Decadent Deserts" is amazing.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00