I was denied help.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Obliviatekms, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obliviatekms

Obliviatekms Member

Hi all :D,
    I'm 16 years old almost 17 and I'm a sophomore in HS right now. I don't really want to go into my long background so ill just cut to the chase. I have been diagnosed with Depression and put on Suicide Watch at my school. I went to the school counselors and admitted to suicidal feelings. They kicked me out of school and said dont come back until you've been assessed and get a note that says your safe to come back. So we went to this first place, a behavior center, and I scored and 85 on the Goldburgs depreasion test. Saw a psychiatrist for an hour for free an was diagnosed. They strongly suggested I be put in inpatient. My mom said no, she doesn't want to pay for it. They suggest intensive outpatient. She said the same thing. Even just a regular therapy session after school. Nope. She also doesn't want me to even go see the school counselor regularly. So we went somewhere else o he time reevaluated and I got the message I should lie so I can go back to school. So I did and got the note and now I'm back in school. But I'm still very suicidal and depressed, but I was denied help. Its very awkward and embarassing to talk about with anyone though. But I want help... Suggestions?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I am glad you got back into school and so sorry you are being denied the help you need. You asked for some suggestions so I am going to name a few...

Is there a relative you are close to that you can talk about this to, I know it is embarassing for you but it could help?

You also can call a suicide helpline anytime, the samaritans are great, I don't know where you live, If you tell me what country I will do my best to look for hotlines for you.

Another suggestion, when you feel suicidal, most of the time people only want to end their pain and not to end their life, so use distraction methods.

Best of luck to you, when you come back online you can private message me anytime :)

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It varies slightly from state to state but the final outcome is the same - if you get suicidal to point of scared of actions and consequences go to counselor or hopsital and ask for help with clear I am going to "do" now and you will get help. No parental consent is required for imminent harm to self in order to get treatment. In New York at age 14 you get to decide if admitted or not - or the Dr will mandate - not parents decision at all. In all states the Dr will mandate treatment if he/she believes imminent harm (if Dr mandates you also do not have choice) ....

4. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Hiya
    I am glad your back at school
    have you tried using your school work as a distraction technique and something to focus your mind on? But if you are feeling that suicidal that your in danger please ring your hotlines or get assistance. tell someone

5. foxontherun

foxontherun Member

Jesus Christ. You must live in the US. I can't believe they would kick a kid out of school for being suicidal and then make his family pay for medical treatment. You Yanks are barbarians when it comes to social well-being.

6. skinnylove911

But surely your gonna get behind with your school work,
    i hope you have access some of it vya distance learning/elearning

7. Obliviatekms

Obliviatekms Member

Haha I live in Texas. Far from a yank. WhiteWhright, Texas.

8. Obliviatekms

Obliviatekms Member

I have thought about that method of receiving help but it felt almost attention *****y to threaten suicide for help... Considering sometime those threats are real.

9. Obliviatekms

Obliviatekms Member

Thank you all for the great answers! I really appreciate it, I have tried to talk to a family member but there is a suicide on both sides if my family so when I mentioned depression and my self harming and suicide they flipped out an were in denial..

10. skinnylove911

sending you lots of hugs

11. HelgasAngel

HelgasAngel Well-Known Member

Please don't generalize. When I was suicidal I sent a note to my counselor about it and she told our Principal and the principal notified my father who notified the psychiatric ward. They came over to the school. The Principal, the two women from the ward, and my mom and dad were all supportive of me going to the psych ward THAT afternoon. And I went. Just because this happened at HER school doesn't mean it happens everywhere. =p

12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am so happy to hear how this worked out for you! Way to go :)

13. Obliviatekms

Obliviatekms Member

haha thanks for stopping by, and just for the record im a bro, not a her. its chill though haha

14. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Member

To follow up with what someone was saying about calling the suicide hotline; here is the link for Texas with all the possible numbers you can call. Just to give you a heads up if you call one number and they don't seem like they care call another one of the numbers. Sometimes you get some uncaring people manning these hotlines but there are much more people that genuinely care. So please give them a call if you want someone to talk to:

http://www.suicidehotlines.com/texas.html

15. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

This is very useful info. Why don't you put it on Member Resources ana Info forum

16. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Member

I'm new to this forum. I have no idea how to do that. Can you do it if its not too much trouble?

17. skinnylove911

I would have a heart to heart conversation with your parents and tell them how your feeling and then say to you need help they will be in denial first but only because they care. let them know that the last couple of weeks you have been feeling rotten and shit and you need help now because you feel you may do something you will later regret.
    if not write in a letter/send them an email or do a word document and sent that to them or simply copy and paste a few diary entries if you write a diary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.