I was hand cuffed...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kimi, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimi

Kimi Well-Known Member

I called a help line the other day.. and I told a counsellor that I feel suicidal.. I had a shocking thing since last Sunday.

This early morning I got a call from a police who told me that the help line spoke to a social worker (I don't have any social worker though..) and the social worker called the police...

They found out my address while they were talking with my mobile number... Then the police came and I said that I didn't want to go to the hospital and I was handcuffed on my back! My wrists are so thin and that came through from the handcuff and they tighten up the handcuff with my arms twisted on my back...

I got wounds and my hands are numb... When I was discharged from the hospital and took off my top, I saw stain of blood on the back of my clothe...

I couldn't make work today because I got faint from what has happened early this morning..

When I back I was told to move out from the flat where I rent a room.. The owner was told that I got arrested and it's a criminal record.. They don't want somebody who has a criminal record.. It wasn't criminal record but they believe that I got the criminal record and it will affect to their lives..

I have nowhere to go...My work is only a temp work and receive low hourly rate of work...

I learnt that telling suicidal thought is treated as a criminal.. Help line made my worse.. I can't get any help from anywhere. Obviously GP is the same, they put ppl who suicidal in the hospital..
    There's no help..

My wrists are still numb and got bruises+wounds..

The police seemed to enjoy arresting innocent people.. I haven't done any crime but I got handcuffed..

I got traumatic event.. They think they are helping but they like using their forces..

I don't know if I can get recovered from this traumatic experience. I don't know where to find a place to live.. I don't want to go the place called shelter... I'm a just ordinal person who has got awfully hurt and hurt since 2005...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  2. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I think you have grounds to make a complaint against the police here. Take photos of the injuries and try contacting the independent police complaints commission. This is their complaint's procedure:

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complaints/how_complaint.htm

Talking about suicidal feelings IS NOT a criminal offence. Threatening to kill an other person is, but expressing your own feelings is not. You should never have been told this.

The only time the police might treat you like this is if your an obvious danger to others or have been sectioned under the mental health act, which you had not.
    As for the flat, being as you have NOT commited a criminal offence, they have no grounds to make you leave and you can fight that. In order to get a criminal record, a court must convict you of an offence and provide you with the paperwork relating to it, not the police, which is not your case! If they make you leave, thats illegal. There are many laws surrounding rented housing which prevent this from being ok. They need hard evidence of you disrupting the lives of other people in the property, causing willful damage etc, word of mouth just won't do.

Please try and get some help, try calling Shelter, I know you said you did not want to, but they are a charity helping people with housing problems and can help you stand up for your rights and stay where you are, call them and explain whats gone off, here's their website:

http://www.shelter.org.uk/

This is why I don't call helplines or tell other people how I feel.

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

If you are evicted from your apartment go to the police and ask about how long you have before you have to actually have to move out. If you can't find out from them. Or call a lawyer who doesn't charge for initial advice. Either way sooner or later you have three choices. You can go to a shelter, you can move back in with your parents, or become homeless and live off the streets. Oh yea you can get yourself admitted to the hospital and receive help there. Maybe they can line you up with a social worker to help get you benefits so you can afford a place of your own. Don't be afraid of the hospital they aren't that bad. I wish you luck!!!~Joseph~

4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Absolutely - Kimi, complain to the IPCC about this. Ridiculous treatment of the situation.... Out of interest, which helpline did you call, if you can say?

5. Feeling suicidal is not criminal at all... yous hould complain hun and I will stick by you through it, what they did... was completely wrong!
    :hug:

6. TheWr0ngChild

Yeah I'd like to know that too. The only "main" one in the UK is the Samaritans, but they are 100% confidential, the only things they are allowed to report are acts of terror (bomb threats & such) I think or anything where others are at risk.

Also any landlord has to give notice of an eviction, usualy a month in the UK, this give you time to contest it legaly. Some solicitor's offices have a freephone helpline where you can get propper legal advice on things like this, also Shelter. Shelter are not a homeless "shelter" as such, but they know pretty much everything about renting, housing rights and the law relating to them. They can help you fight an unfair eviction and stay in your home, in fact this is mainly what they do, they help people stay in their homes wherever possible and find suitable alternatives if not. Look on the link I gave you and find your local branch. You'll be supprised how helpful most charities are and Shelter are in the know about mental health issues realting to housing too. I did a essay on them at school lol.

7. jam1e

jam1e Guest

Most support lines do have a code of practice which states that if they seriously think you are about to try and commit suicide they will call the authorities to try and trace you.

Did they say what you were arrested for? They have to tell you,otherwise it's a breach of our codes of practice.

From what you have said, the only thing i can think of for arresting you would be under S. 136 of the Mental Health Act to take you to a place of safety, like a hospital, so you can be assessed.

This power of arrest only stands if it is carriedout in a public place though?, (i.e, not in your flat or house)

As for handcuffing you, this would been seen as reasonable, (In most cases) as it is for officer safety as they do not know how you will react to being arrested.

Not all of us get a kick out of causing misery.

8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I think that's more the American way of doing things ... the interventionist approach. I'm not aware of any helpline in the UK that'd do that... It doesn't mean that they won't though, as can be seen from the OP..

9. Pingu

Pingu Well-Known Member

This is exactly why i dont tell anyone about my problems.. and being handcuffed by the police? thats just sick..
    i would consider calling the help line and maybe get help, but the way they do things just scares people off..

10. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Thi is wrong. Being handcuffed for being suicidal?! That's extreme.
    You really should make a complaint hun, this is not right, it's not fair and it's not helpful to you at all. I mean on what level did they think that handcuffing you and treating you like a criminal would help?
    Jeeze, this sorta thing really winds me up....:hug: I'm so sorry this happened to you and i really hope that things look up for you soon.

11. Songie

Songie Well-Known Member

Thats really messed up. Something like that happened to me too. I only bled a little bit...but it still hurt and wasn't okay. I complained to the police department. At first they didnt do anything and then i took it to court. Try that. :biggrin: Hopefully it will work for you too.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Kimi. Sorry to hear that you were handcuffed and treated like a criminal just for calling a helpline. That's just awful. I don't know how cops can get away with shit like that. You should complain against them. :hug:

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Cops are pricks....they do what they want and get no punishment for it, the best thing you can do here is to move on and learn from this experience, im sorry you were treated as a criminal :hug:

14. Samantha

Samantha Well-Known Member

>>>>>
    If your classified "Mentally Ill" you will be stigmatised and treated as a second class citizen in Society,making an official complaint with that label,is pointless,
    calling a Helpline was your biggest mistake in the first place.

Generally speaking you cannot trust most people not even the majority of so called "Christians"
    You were lucky your were not CS gassed & tasered :) if you had been having
    an adverse reaction to psych meds you been taking.

Why did n't the Psychiatric services section you because they could not make any money out of you because you did not have private medical insurance?.

The Samaritarans are "supposed " to be confidential but as I said they are generally dealing with the weakess of the weak so anything may go.

15. Samantha

Samantha Well-Known Member

>>>>
    Lucky you were not in the United States have a look at this.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7KM1ukwBGv4

Samantha

16. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

-waves-

I'm a volunteer for them ... we are totally confidential, except in certain, very rare circumstances (bomb warnings, terrorism, court orders, etc) - none of which apply here. As volunteers, we're bound to confidentiality within Samaritans, which means we can only discuss calls / e-mails etc, with other Samaritan volunteers. When we view e-mail addresses, we don't see the callers original e-mail address, it comes up as something random thrown up by our e-mail system...
    As for the ''weakness of the weak'' ... Eh? :blink: .

Hope this helps get some of the confusion out the way, anyway :)

17. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

allot of ppl dont understand suicidal people and want to rough them up because they are disgusted with them, to get revenge on them for being something they dont understand

18. TheWr0ngChild

I wonder if they called a counsellor they'd been seeing, not an actual helpline, or a GP, they're renowned for taking the gestarpo approach to mental health. I don't even trust regular "GP's" with physical health problems, let alone mental ones. Not many Brits are sectioned for the simple reason healthcare is free here, they lose money rather than gain it. The best way for the NHS to make cash is by prescribing drugs and other odd "therapies". They get huge bonuses from the drug companies for every psychiatric drug they dish out. When this goes wrong, they've already covered the costs of keeping you in hospital with the drug company bonuses.

I'd say private health insurance goes against you in this case.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  19. Boing

Boing Member

I regard it as irresponsible to commence a thread about phoning a "helpline" and ending up handcuffed, police visits etc, without providing specifics about the unidentified "helpline".

Commencing a thread without specifics is likely to deter severely depressed people from contacting helplines to seek support at their lowest points.

20. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Aye, you have a very good point there .... but I believe that the OP was distressed etc, when they wrote this - I think we can afford them a bit of slack in the matter, in this case..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.