i was kicked out of school for being suicidal

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lauras, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauras

Lauras Member

today I was kicked out of college for being suicidal. my psychology professor requires us all to write a reflection paper each week and I mentioned the fact that I have been contemplating suicide for a long time. as a result, the school counselors were notified and then the dean required a meeting with me and the counselors. i told them a little bit about my troubles and the counselors said they wanted to meet with me each week. but then the dean sent me an e-mail saying that he thinks its in the schools best interest to have me suspended from school. he said that he's worried about me and its in both of our best intrests that i dont go back to school so i am on suspension from class. he even said that as of now, if i go to class, it would be tresspassing. mind you, i have never threatened anyone ever. i asked him why he thinks i am a threat and he said that its just protocol. all i had in life was school

2. Elias

Elias Member

This is just f-up. I don't know how it works in your Country, but I'm pretty sure you can react to this pointless and potentially-dangerous decision.

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Unfortunately, the school has to be concerned with potential liabilities. They should, however, be able to guide you to some professional counseling services.

Please understand that they have to take into account the entire school in these decisions. There was a suicide this past Tuesday at a school here in my town and it shut the school down, and now there are 30 grief and trauma councilors set up on campus to help all of the other students who are experiencing issues as a result of this occurring there at school. Even the potential that something like this could happen will send a school into a caution mode. They should, however, be helping you to seek out services.

Are you currently seeing a therapist or doctor about this?

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Going to see your own Psychiatrist or Psychologist (a therapist or counselor will not work most likely) and getting them to to do a risk assessment and evaluation to forward to the school is your best bet. If they agree you are no ta genuine risk and say so to the dean I would expect the situation to be resolved. All they have to go on right now is a their own counselor and your admission it is a possibility. If they did nothing that would show a lack of caring. They are simply saying your health is more important at the moment and they do not have adequate resources to ensure your safety. Get a Dr to declare it not to be unsafe for you to attend school at the current time (and hopefully some additional help and support for you) and then worry about school.

5. Lauras

Lauras Member

fuck life

6. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

liability my ass. it's bullshit and makes no goddamn sense. the pussy dean basically just don't want a dead body on their campus, oh but their attitude is "feel free to kill yourself elsewhere" im so glad im killing my self soon.

7. Callisto

Callisto Member

That's awful. I'm so sorry they did that to you.

8. NYJmpMaster

And why is it not a concern for the welfare of other students and to say that getting treatment to save life is more important than classes ? The attitude that because they did this you are glad you are killing yourself makes no sense at all - they are saying get treatment and get better - doing absolutely nothing and ignoring the person or not taking them seriously - that would be BS.

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Lauras where are you from? The school can not kick you out with no further plans in place to continue your education and to set you up with some sort of help with your suicidal feelings. If staff hears of suicidal feelings/thoughts/urges and plans to act on those, they are by law to report it to authorities (police). You would then be properly assessed and steps towards treatment would be put in place. With the lack of such happening, I suspect that there is something else happening here as well.
    The admin at your school knows nothing about depression or suicide. Removing you from your school setting and blaming it on you and your suicidal thoughts, they must know that in itself may push you over the edge. Go over their heads, attend the school board or visit your local "political" representative with your frustration.
    So many schools jumping up and down about stopping bullying and the staff at yours seems to be nothing better than a very ignorant uneducated bully in dean's clothing!

10. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Since someone deleted my post, i'll say this in a different way....i don't expect you to know why this bothers me so much....see ya.

11. Lauras

Lauras Member

Actually, the school has done nothing to help me. I received an e-mail and a letter from the school confirming my suspension. that is all

12. willow869

willow869 New Member

Agreed. I'm sure it depends on the country, but generally schools have to alert the proper authorities and have a plan in place. It concerns me a great deal that the school didn't provide any support system. Being suicidial is not your fault and you shouldn't be punished for it. At worst, they can treat this as a medical leave; which means theres a plan to return.

I would keep records of all the emails sent between you and the Dean. Either contact a lawyer or as itmahanh advised, talk to your school's board. Also, look up schools policy, it's probably online somewhere. I find it very hard to believe that's it's "protocol" to suspend suicidial students.

13. willow869

willow869 New Member

I was trying to ad a quote. Probably should be doing this on my phone.

14. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry they did this to you, I'm sure it's extremely painful for you to deal with. Sending you hugs your way.
    :hug:

15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

That happend in the school of my brother, too. This is so unfair, I mean, can you mabye have a meeting with the
    dean and the counsler and speak with them. An e-mail is not very... how do I say it...direct.
    Write an e-mail and ask for a meeting of call them, don't give up.
    :hug: I believe in you!

16. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

I'd agree if it were not for all the stories of suicide from bullying and then the schools turning around and saying bullying was not a problem.. After that its hard to not think the only thing they care about is their own image. They are not glad but at same time they don't seem to care as long as it is not associated with the school which looks to be the case here.

I hope something can be done for your sake and for sake of other students who will face same problem until caring for students really does mean caring for students.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  17. NYJmpMaster

The issue is the exact opposite. In bullying, the schools are being looked down (and correctly ) for doing nothing. In this case they did something about a person that says themselves they are suicidal. There are another 100 threads I could find on here in 10 minutes where people say they have told their school or university and complaining the school or university did nothing and did not even care. This one took it serious, has no way to ensure the safety of the student, is nor their job to ensure they safety of the student, and said you can't be here while you are still a danger to yourself. I am 100% sure in what ever paperwork or email was sent their is a contact number for more information if not additional information included on what are the terms of the suspension, how to appeal or lift it, etc. These are legal documents and lacking any of those a lawsuit would be in order and won in minutes.

We cannot have it both ways where we are not ignored for being suicidal and also nothing is done when we are suicidal. If the OP is still suicidal she should concentrate on getting help for that and then back in school. If they are not get a Dr evaluation saying so and set terms to do make-up work for the 3 or 4 days missed and be pleased you were not ignored.

18. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Why could the school not just work with the student to do that without banning them get in the supports necessary to work with the students so they are safe and able to continue on Perhaps like you said a doctor note is needed for the school to continue with this approach

19. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Agree but like said they won't because if anything happens on their watch, it is bad for the school image and that is why I say it is the same as schools not acknowledging bullying. The issues might be different but the reasoning is the same as its all to do with holding the welfare of the school image higher than the welfare of the students.

20. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

At the risk of being misunderstood, let's take a few steps back and look at this from a broader scope. While emotional reactions are natural, decisions such as this by a school or any institution cannot be based solely upon just emotions. The well being of everyone must be taken into account. Remember that a school is a place of learning and is not charged with being therapists. Schools are also businesses and are generally run as such, and so they should be. If the school did not take this action and something bad were to occur, the new topic would become, "Why didn't the school take any action to prevent it?" Some school do have counseling for this kind of thing (I have interacted with a local university that absolutely does), but it is generally more of a referral to outside services - since the school staff is not qualified to do anything more beyond that. One would have to have all the facts in this situation within their full and exact context to really pass legitimate judgments, but regardless of that we do need to understand protocols, potential impact, and responsibilities as the main motivators of their decision process.

Rather than chastising the school for what they should or should not have done, I would find more concern in hoping that the original poster is seeking out the appropriate professional help right now. Placing blames is not productive and only by addressing root cause can there be positive progress for resolution. School can wait, wellness cannot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.