I was released from a mental institution 3 days ago or so.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by I-Died-In-My-Dream, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I-Died-In-My-Dream

I-Died-In-My-Dream Well-Known Member

I still feel exactly the same as I did before.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Did they change your medication around sometimes it takes awhile until the meds take the full affect. If you are not feeling better call you doctor okay and see if you can make an appt to talk about it. I am happy you are out though in your own space and having your freedom back.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

What caused you to be institutionalized. Would like to comment and try to help but would need some additional info. if you feel like sharing. Please take care. If you would rather discuss this in private feel free to send me a pm.

4. I-Died-In-My-Dream

I-Died-In-My-Dream Well-Known Member

I took an overdose.
  5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

In my experience, those who take an overdose and are now physically fit and well, are discharged after a couple of days with a view to any further treatment carried out in the community. Those who have further issues/mental illness who may need to be remedicated or have their medication changed will tend to stay longer as whilst they are in the condition they are, they would be considered a threat to themselves or others. Rightly or wrongly, that is out it is as per NICE guidelines.
  6. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

then tell your doctor.You were released too soon.Your meds are not buffering your emotional pain?Did you just start the meds? What about support groups?Adaily support group can't cure you but it sure makes life so much more merciful.Ask your doctor about outpatient groups.Be determined...you don't have to suffer alone.Your hospital may have a partial outpatient program,like the one I am going to.You go back every day to the hospital and go through a series of group meeting for several hours a day.You need connections.
    Sorry for blabbing..Its just that I had the same concern about release.Now I feel I have a transition.
    Don't be afraid to be pro-active and assertive in your own recovery::smile:
  7. chooselife

chooselife Well-Known Member

After I was released I felt a lot of guilt and was very vulnerable for a while. It was a shock to my system, the whole incident. It eventually woke me up though; I felt that since I was not now going to die I may as well work at my situation. That's exactly what I did. I couldn't live the same way I was, nor tolerate the pain so I had no choice but to change it in order to move away from the mental and emotional hell I was residing in.

Some of the meds they prescribed for me didn't work, they made me feel worse actually. So you need to find one that is suitable and works for you. Sounds as though you need more treatment. Group therapy worked wonders for me. Getting all that crap out helps, and the support I received from my fellow friends within the circle was uplifting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.