I was so honest with the shrink I am surprised I didn't get sectioned!! & eating dis

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Oct 6, 2008.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Saw the shrink today, and was very honest with her. I am suprised I did not get sectioned.

I get sick of being asked "what is it that keeps you going?" I said "what do you mean by that", she says "well you are still here". So I said "because I haven't found a method that I like yet". :sad:

She asked if I had suicidal thoughts and I told her "several times a day". She hasn't put me on any medication.

I also told her I hadn't eaten in 21 days, she started lecturing me, then she told me that she was starting to sound like my mother!!!:unsure: I am over 30!!! The whole time she was lecturing me about the perils of not eating I just had the biggest smile on my face, because I really don't care, she might as well have been talking to my hand. I am seeing her not because of an eating disorder but because of suicidal feelings caused by loss of my daughter and workplace stresses.

She also mentioned that if she gave me some puzzles to do that I wouldn't be able to do them because I wouldn't have the concentration levels. I asked her if it was the ones where you put a square peg in a round hole, she said it was one of them. I love doing puzzles etc.

I enjoy not eating, I see it as a challenge and I love seeing the weight coming off. I told her I actually feel better when I am not eating. I told her that I don't even feel hunger anymore, and I like not feeling hungry.

I know this is not normal, but I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke. Everyone has their vices.

She asked me what I weighed and said she would like to see me with a few more kilos on. I think I will be wearing baggy clothes in next time, but she can see the weight loss in my face.

I even told her that some days I count the number of floors on a building and told her about the car park next to where I work. She gave me a certificate for some more time off work. I am not working at the moment because have a sister in law dying of cancer, work was asking me to go on full duties and I had to report to the boss, then I had my supervisor at work yelling at me because I laughed while he was on the phone and handed him some paper work to check. That was the last straw.

Anyone else been really honest with their shrink?

2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Re: I was so honest with the shrink I am surprised I didn't get sectioned!! & eating

I'm always totally honest with them. It never helps either way! :dunno:

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Re: I was so honest with the shrink I am surprised I didn't get sectioned!! & eating

You really should eat a little downunder. Going 21 days without food is really unhealthy and could lead to anorexia. I'm sorry about the loss of your daughter and that your sister in law is now dying of cancer. But we are all individual souls on our own individual journey of life. You come alone and you have to die alone. 'From the cradle, to the grave.'

4. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

21 days without eating! I wish i could pull that.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Just curious! If you haven't eaten in 27 days how come you aren't bed riddin with IV's pumping fluids in you?~Joseph~

6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Presumably she's taking fluids. I once went 2 months + only eating a piece of toast per day. It's doable.

7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

yea, about 6 years ago I was seeing a shrink and confessed I feel like killing my brother and dad when I am at home, well instead of maybe asking me why I felt this way or maybe telling me to look for another place to live she called the cops and I was put in a mental hospital for 2 weeks

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

If you'd wanted to kill yourself however, they'd probably have just shrugged and asked you what you wanted them to do about it! Bloody brilliant job that!!

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am honest with my therapist al the time now. There days she really wants me to voluntarily commit myself and she offers to take me, but so far she has honored my requests when I say no.

Not eating can increase your depressive thoughts and feelings. Your brain needs certain nutrients in order to process the necessary chemicals for for mental health. You may want to feel that control over things by being able to control your eating which will lead to more health issues in the future. Please give yourself the chance to work through things. :hug:

10. downunder

If you google juice feasting there are some people that drink juice for 90 days, also google water fasting and there are some that go 30 days on nothing but water. After day 3 you don't feel hungry anymore. The more fasts you do the better your body handles it and you get used to it. My blood pressure did go down to 90/50!! I did find myself getting incredibly thirsty though.

11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I was just curious because the longest I ever went without eating is five days. In my early days of depression I cut way down on my eating and lost like five pants sizes. I was down to my weight when I was in high school.
    Don't mistake my earlier curiosity, I always heard after two weeks you are so week you can't even get out of bed. Sorry if I came across wrong! Take Care!!~Joseph~

12. downunder

No need to apologise Stranger1, but after 2 weeks I was not that all that weak, was still doing manual labour such as mowing lawn etc and other exercise. Not that this is something that I suggest people do. I originally started fasting to help me sleep!!! It worked.

13. downunder

Update I was honest with the shrink I am surprised I didn't get sectioned!! & eating

Okay I think I was too honest, she rang today as she was trying to get me in for another appointment on Monday, but the person didn't cancel, She said she would ring me on Monday instead. I got the message off my mobile phone so didn't talk to her directly. I wish she wouldn't ring me on Monday, it shows me that she is worried, very worried, and if she is so worried that she has to ring I can feel "being sectioned" coming on. I have another person from work ringing me but I just don't want to talk to people, I feel like hibernating. I have total strangers telling me that I don't look happy such as the person at the petrol station and the blood bank where I donated. I was amazed that my hemoglobin was ok it 12.2 which is border line and my blood pressure was 110/75 which is up from 90/50. I have gone off my fast so that I could donate blood.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

She chewed me out this week for something I feel really bad for to begin with. I don't know if I'll be going next week.

I don't think I'm at risk of being forcibly moved to a hospital, mostly because that would probably settle the question for when I get out.

15. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

I was so desperate and i couldnt get an appointment with my GP i ended up writing him a letter explainning how i felt and the fact i was afraid of the safety of myself and daughter. at the end i attached my mobile number. The next day i sat and awaited anxiously a phone call from him. I felt sick, nervous and the surgery lunch closing time came and went... finally at 2pm i noticed i had a missed call on my phone from the surgery and i had a voice message awaiting.. I felt sick as i dialed the number... i heard his voice at the end saying he wasnt angry at the method to which i used to contact him and that i needed to speak with him urgently... i had to call back... When i did, he said he had put me in for a mental health assessment for the following day with the community psychiatric nurse. I didnt want to go but people pursuaded me to.. i spilled about everything, the thoughts, the attempts, the self harming the barely eating etc but she said i was fine.. i just wanted counselling.... its nearly a month on and things seems to be getting worse by the day, i feel as though i have been let down by the mental health team... i really do fear for the safety of myself and my daughter. why did noone listen to me?? i dont know what i should do about it..people keep saying, keep going, keep fighting, but i dont want to any more :cry: why didnt they help me in the first place???

XxX

16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Keep trying to get help Lexi. :hug:

17. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

:cry: whats the use?

18. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Lexi, if you want to talk about your situation please start your own thread. Thanks!

19. downunder

I don't mind other threads coming into this one.

Today I am really sick. I was walking the dogs and had huge stomach aches, got home and was thowing up and now have the runs, I never knew you could lose so much water out of your body like this. Wondering if it is the effect of eating food, that the body is not used to.

20. Re: I was so honest with the shrink I am surprised I didn't get sectioned!! & eating

Have to agree with other posters about eating - stop eating because you're depressed and the nutrients you miss out on drop you deeper into depression.

I gave up beef for ethical reasons and far from making me feel good about myself in any way, I ended up feeling depressed about everything. Turns out, beef is packed with acetyl-l-carnitine (a natural anti-depressant) which you don't really get from any other food source. Started taking supplements and I returned to my regular state. ;)

If you are looking to get more depressed downunder, then you've found the right direction. Strange that you're seeing a therapist though, sort of indicates you'd like to be not-depressed? If that's the case, then you need to eat.

Tough to tell if you're a self-harmer using food as the pain, or someone with emotional issues about weight. Your shrink not got any clue?

To answer your original question - yes, I was honest with my shrink ... the one time I saw her ...