I went to a group therapy thing today...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DarnTired, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

It was part of the unemployment program that I'm on. I signed up to talk to a therapist today. But I didn't say a word.

It was a group thing with about eight other people. The therapist started to talk, but she got about two minutes into her speech when my throat closed up and I started crying. I kept it in for 45 minutes because I didn't want to bawl in front of everybody. That's when I knew that I needed help.

I couldn't talk in the group because I was so choked up, but the woman left me her card with her email address. I just sent her an email saying that I wanted to speak but couldn't. I told her that I wanted help, didnh't really know how to find a therapist and had little money and asked her for help.

I only sent it ten minutes ago so it will take her a while to respond, but she seemed like a nice lady. I sincerely hope that she can help me find someone that I can talk to. I really need it. I think I just need to sit in a room, have someone stare at me, and then I tell them what a horrible shithead I am and cry a lot. It's a bit like going to the dentist: I don't want to do it because it's going to hurt, but it needs to be done.

I hope I can find help soon because things are going to be rather grim in December when my unemployment runs out and I have no job. Pray for me that I get some help soon.

I'm glad that my writing partner understands. Despite the fact that she's married to a bipolar husband, she doesn't think I'm too crazy to write and act with. She thinks that me getting help is a great idea and she's behind me. I was afraid that she would dump me because one crazy man in her life should be enough.

Craig

2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

(((Craig)))

Good for you!!!:smile: :smile: I'm glad things seem to be moving along the road to wellness. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers regarding employment/income. When my unemployment ran out several years ago I had to pull my meager retirement money (only $12,000) and use it to meet expenses. I barely made it until I found/created work. You'll make it, I know. I hope you get hooked up with a good counselor/therapist soon so you can get the help you need. It can make all the difference in the world - I know.

sending you hugs and hope and support,:smile: :smile: :smile:

least

3. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Went to see the therapist for a private session. I was late because of the buses, but I called and told her so it was alright.

First time ever with a therapist. I downplayed my drinking a bit, but I did tell her I thought I had a problem. She thinks I might be clinically depressed.

She gave me some phone numbers of therapists who might be able to see me on a sliding scale and maybe get me anti-depressents.

She knew that I was out of work and couldn't really afford her fee, so the following conversation took place at the end of the session.

Her: You can pay me whatever you can afford.

Me: [waffling] Well... would you take 25?

Her: Yes. I would've said "yes" to anything.

Me: In that case, would you take 20?

She took 20. Nice lady who was genuinely concerned about me. This is going to be a long road. I hope some of it will help.

By the way, was offered a part-time job yesterday. I'll probably take it even though it is completely out of my field and even the guy interviewing me admitted it was boring as Hell. I have to check on bus schedules to see if I can get there for the shifts, some of which are at night. That's a bit of problem: I always fade out by 2:30 and have trouble sleeping during the day. There are pros and cons and I'll have to weight them and call him back next week.

Thanks for listening.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Glad to listen any time!:smile: Hope these willing ears are some comfort to you.

love,

least

5. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think your moving in the right direction :) and you probably found a good therapist there. Keep with it.

The part time job will be a good thing for you...at least it gets you out of the house and around other people...no matter how boring it is. (haha not that I can talk because ive essentially just left my boring job).

Still a few extra dollars is handy.

Your on the right road....stick to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.