I went to a hot (dragonfly) yoga class today

alice202

SF Supporter
This was a power yoga class - lots of stretching, holding poses, and some difficult moves. The room is 105 degrees F. It was difficult for me - I didn't know the positions and I couldn't do a lot of them very well. I was happy I didn't fall over.

But I am happy I went. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and I kept procrastinating and cancelling after signing up. Finally I ran out of excuses.

I have signed up and paid for 8 classes a month for the next two months. Paying for something makes me feel obligated to do it.

But anyway, I feel great. It was hard for me, but the instructor was supportive, and hopefully next class will be just a little bit easier.

BarryW

SF Supporter
Gratz on trying this! I haven't done yoga personally, but the stretches they do look impressive. 105 is pretty warm for exercising.. I bet they save on A/C there :)

Rebreb

I don't know about your studio but I've always loved the community aspect of yoga studios. I think sometimes the first step in finding friendship is becoming part of a greater thing and then individual connections are formed in time. Hoping it may become true for you here. And looking forward to hearing more in general!

alice202

SF Supporter
I went back last night to another session - this one was easier and there were about 1o people there. Mostly women, but a couple of men. This is actually at a small fitness club where there is a room full of gym equipment and the hot yoga room. Seems like people either do one or the other.

I've never been very athletic, and I realized pretty quickly that this was going to be different. Its so body-positive. Its amazing to have mirrors everywhere and not be evaluating how I look - but nobody is looking at each other except to see if they are doing the pose correctly. The instructors tell you that you can alter the positions if you aren't comfortable, and that nobody knows your body as well as you do. The class last night was not as rigorous as the one on Sunday, which moved more quickly. There are about 4 different kinds of hot yoga classes I could go to, so I may try the others also.

I felt a little tired afterwards but very, very relaxed. My mind is pretty clear during the class and afterwards. It actually feels kind of self-indulgent, like I am doing something that is just about making myself feel better. I am hoping to build core strength and balance.

Everyone took off pretty quickly after the class, but maybe some time there will be more of a chance to talk to the other people.

Regarding the temperature - I didn't think I would like it but I was willing to try. It doesn't bother me at all. I guess it might even make the yoga positions a little easier. And it feels surprisingly good to sweat. You can grab a drink of water any time so you don't get dehydrated.

Rebreb

It all sounds wonderful Alice. I'm thrilled for you! I see only good things coming from this. :)

Self love and self-indulgence are GOOD things. Loving your body as it is and not being afraid of the mirrors are gifts to yourself. <3

alice202

SF Supporter
So this morning I was leaving to go to my yoga class and my neighbor from across the hall was limping badly. I asked him what was wrong - he said he had slipped a couple of days ago and his leg was in a lot of pain so he was going to the hospital. I held the doors for him on the way to the elevator and I volunteered to drive him. He didn't want to be any trouble, he said. I told him they might not allow him to drive if he is given pain medication at the emergency room. I told him I was looking for an excuse not to go to yoga anyway. So he let me take him to the nearest hospital. He said he was in so much pain he didn't sleep last night. He looked pretty miserable.

I got him in to the emergency room and I knew it would be a while. I gave him my name and phone number. (We both have dogs, so we've seen each other coming and going pretty often, but we've never really chatted. He's less than half my age.) About 90 minutes later he called and asked me if I could pick him up. He was very apologetic about it. I kept telling him it was no problem. It turns out his right leg is actually broken. He was in a cast and on crutches. I took him to the pharmacy so he could pick up his pain meds. When we got back to our apartments I volunteered to walk his little dogs, since it was noon and they hadn't been out yet today. So I walked his dogs and brought them back. I told him to call me if he needed anything.

Along the way we talked a little. I found out that he and his roommate don't get along and he never knows where he is. He said he wouldn't even ask the roommate to walk his dogs. When he asked me to pick him up at the hospital he apologized and said he didn't have anyone else to call. He doesn't know how he's going to go to work and back if he can't drive. I guess I realized that he's a lot like me. Isolated. Lonely. Has difficulty asking anyone to help him. I broke my ankle two years ago so I know what it was like. It was really a tough time and I did it all myself.

So anyway, it made me realize that you never know who is just across the hall and they might just need you. I made a connection and it felt good.

Rebreb

Amazing. And since you've already had a similar experience, you can empathize all the more.

It reminds me of one of my favourite phrases (you can substitute "god" for the universe or the great cosmic mystery - it's all the same to me):

Whatever you need, God has placed either directly in front or beside you.

Which makes me think also of how poisonous plants grow in the wild - usually the remedy plant grows near the poisonous one -- not saying there's poison in your story <facepalm> but that you happened to live across the hall and see him in that moment just when he needed you. It's miraculous to me.

alice202

SF Supporter
It was kind of miraculous. I've missed yoga for a week but I was determined to go back today. So I wouldn't have seen him if I hadn't been on my way. But once I realized he was hurt I knew this was more important. Its incredibly lonely going to the emergency room alone and having nobody to drive you home.

Earlier in the morning I was walking my dog and I met an older woman walking her dog. She lives in the neighborhood and I pass by her house a couple of times a day. She's waved at me a couple of times.

Turns out she has sciatica and doesn't get out too much. She is divorced and lives alone, her only child was murdered years ago. We walked together for about 20 minutes and she was very open and friendly. She told me she leaves her curtains open and waves to people walking by because it makes her feel more connected to the neighborhood. Here is another person looking for connections, struggling with loneliness. I will have to keep our connection going.

Sarahphim

So happy you found Yoga Alice. It has been very helpful for me. It makes you look inward and opens you up. In accepting and honoring yourself, you open a way to be more accepting of others and they of you. And, viola! Two new friends.
Namaste.

alice202

SF Supporter
I'm still doing this and I am loving it. Every time I go it feels like I am giving a gift to myself. I always feel more relaxed and energized after a class. Its very body positive, and it increases strength, balance, and flexibility.

I am still struggling with depression, but going to class always seems to lift my mood - maybe its the endorphins.

BarryW

SF Supporter
Maybe you have discovered your new body fitness for life plan! Seriously I am impressed you have been able to keep at it. So many times it is hard for those of us with depression to stick to a game plan and/or enjoy things but you seem to have done it here! I hope you are able to continue attending since it is treating you well.

alice202

SF Supporter
Its been 8 months since I started doing yoga. I remember at the beginning when I felt like it was a bit of a chore, even though I felt better afterwards. Over the last 8 months I have grown to really love it.

The only negative is that I did not lose weight as I had hoped I would. Yoga is a lot of stretching, and it doesn't burn that many calories. In the beginning there were a lot of poses I just couldn't do, so I had to do an easier modification. I am still not doing the poses the way the instructor and most of the others in the class do, but I am getting closer. They tell you to find your "edge"... that spot where you are doing as much as you can without hurting yourself. I always look for my edge. I guess that can apply to a lot of other things also.

The positives: I really like the health club and the instructors. While I started out just doing yoga twice a week, I am now about to start a full membership, which includes unlimited classes. There are classes early in the morning that involve strength training... and the ones I go to are taught by one of the yoga instructors that I really like. She has opened up to me and also given me a lot of encouragement... so she is part of my motivation. If I think about her I can hear her saying "you can do this" and "you've got this". It feels great to get that kind of encouragement. She told me she went through a major weight loss herself before becoming a fitness instructor. She is in perfect shape and incredibly strong. So it makes me believe that I can really lose the weight and get in good shape, even if I'm a lot older than she is.

In the beginning I didn't know a soul, and I didn't really interact with other people that much. Now its getting to the point where I know a lot of the people in my classes by name and we talk a little. Sometimes after class everyone stays and talks, and that is a good thing.

I have more energy and I am more toned. My balance is better. I still feel depressed some of the time, but the yoga seems to help. I'm going to keep doing it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00