I wil be sacked!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by lord.nigel, May 8, 2013.

1. lord.nigel

lord.nigel Well-Known Member

I recently gave up my wonderfully stable (although boring) labour hire job to do something more rewarding - working for a charity finding jobs for the unemployed and disabled. I was told all i needed was raw talent and they would build me up so that i could make a difference and insisted i resign from my old job immediately - I did! The pays pretty good too.

Now that im there, ive been given a caseload of 100 job searchers, discovered theres no training and i have no knowledge of the computer systems, let alone the procedures, laws etc. I have to inspire them, work out what they want to do and put at least 12 into jobs each month to meet my quotas and cold call to seek new business. to get to them to that point, i need to send them on resume writing and english courses, alongside updating their pathway plans. if they dont turn up, i need to put them on performance plan, which could lead to the loss of their entitlements. One dude is unwashed, smells like garbage and carries a mouse in his pocket.

to make it worse, my predecessor was sacked 2 months into the role and the place has a very high turnover. now after my first day, im expected to be an expert and am now out on my own. ill give it my best shot, but im scared out of my wits.

ive told them i need training and dont feel comfortable and their response was, there is no training, learn it myself and be confident.

ill do my best, but im now job hunting! i havent even set up my desk as I know i wont be there long enough lol. im the type of person that needs to be shown how to do things the first time, and im out of my depth.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  2. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

I really dont know what to suggest can you do some research before hand and see what helps you. can enrol in computer courses part time for a few hours a week. There's a lot information out there on the internet that's available to you. plus as your work with a marginalised group, you will need to research this grou[ before hand and find out whats suitable for them
    If you worried about managing 100 cases, start by planning in your outlook/diary dates and times to meet these people, assess their needs and work out a shedule. As for the chap whose unwashed, I am afraid its a tough one.
  3. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

I think you're right to be job hunting. The set up you've found yourself in sounds extremely dodgy. It seems like a scam on your employers part to me. Insisting that you resign from your old job immediately is very fishy. Good luck with the job hunting.
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Okay Nige here is the thing: Do you want this job? If you don't - if the attitude of your employers has genuinely put you off and/or you don't feel inspired by the role then by all means look for another job. But have a look at these statements: "To do something more rewarding" and "I could make a difference". If that is what you want - then it is time to take a breath and curb the panic.

I do not know what the laws are like there but I doubt they are much different from here so my advice is this: email your line manager and clearly state that you are out of your depth and require training. Outline specifically what it is that you do not know and what it is that you need to be shown or told. Make sure you do this in writing - print the email as well as keep a copy of it electronically. If your response is that there is no training - keep that email too. You need to regularly (Weekly at least) ask for clarification, support and instruction on things you do not know. You need to do this in writing and you need to keep copies. If it comes to a 'fired' situation you will have a record of asking for support and training and they will be unable to fire you without risking a breach of employment laws. I did a bit of research and the guidelines on the Aus Govt websites states:
    Have a read here: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ - it looks like your laws are very similar to UK laws - they cannot fire you for not being able to do a job they have not shown you how to do when you have asked.

Meanwhile: Organise organise organise! The workload you have and the expectation you need to meet sound daunting but if you break them down it will be better. 100 casefiles is a lot - and a guy who is unwashed, smells of garbage and carries a mouse in his pocket is clearly not ready for employment. Review the files and sort them into categories. You need 12 people in jobs to meet your quota this month so prioritise the people who ARE ready - who are motivated and who have skills (do not need to attend the courses you suggested).

If you sort people into categories of "action needed" you can focus on groups rather than individuals. "These 14 people need an English course - those 27 people need a resume writing course" etc. If 14 people all have a "next step" of a specific course, updating the pathway plan is a simple copy paste exercise, with a little adjustment for personal needs.

Instead of viewing the lack of training as a horrible thing, consider it carte blanche to do things in a way that works for you. Clearly some of your cases will need more support and work than others - they are not going to be this month's 12 or next month's 12 - but you actually have 8 months to deal with them all so calm down, breathe, and get your highlighters, spreadsheets, postit notes and whatever else helps you to organise and get to it. Sure it might mean a couple of weeks of very long hours and intense work, but once you have a system, it will get easier.

Enough of the defeatist attitude - you are WELL capable of doing this. And once you have done it a while you can help them implement a training system, revolutionise the entire process, help loads more people and generally be the awesome Lord.Nigel we all know and love :hug: