I will not give in! I will NOT be numb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But close my eyes for a while
Force from the world a patient smile,,
How can you say that your truth is better than ours?
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won.

Not my words but they speak the truth.

Just recently I had my eyes opened to the world, a world of beauty, love, hunger and pain.

I remember knowing it well as a child, loving all that was there and caring about everything i touched with.

I dont remember when I turned it off but I know I have.
Knowing that love is there is not enough to seal out the hurt from all the suffering which is endured by millions eveeryday but it does help.

this society we live in is simply there, we are born into it and have little choice in playing a part of it, there are good and bad bits in society as a whole, its so easy to focus in on the bad bits as they are thrown at you continously. The problem is when we focus on the bad bits we can become 'lost', we forgeet the love that once surrounded us and filled our hearts with a quiet peace. we make choices that are not 'good' choices that hurt others, maybe not intentionally but usually through a lack of thinking or considering the other persons perception, often not giving other people the credit they so honestly deserve.

ive made some bad decisions, some selfish decisions that have hurt everyone around me and you know what,,,, they are still there for me, not preaching or hurting, not offering advice only guidence and only when i ask for it. Even forgiveness when im in need of it, even if i do not know it or fully appreciate it.

i have had my eyes truley opened up and it was a combination of things. A realisation of what society can do to you if you let it.....its that word again,,, APATHY.

The modern concept of apathy became more well known after World War I, when it was called "shell shock." Soldiers who lived in the trenches amidst the bombing and machine gun fire, and who saw the battlefields strewn with dead and maimed comrades, developed a sense of disconnected numbness and indifference to normal social interaction.

In 1950, US novelist John Dos Passos wrote: "Apathy is one of the characteristic responses of any living organism when it is subjected to stimuli too intense or too complicated to cope with. The cure for apathy is comprehension." US educational philosopher Robert Maynard Hutchins summarized the concerns about political indifference when he claimed that the "death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment."

Douglas Hofstadter suggests that, recognizing that the human brain's "ego" is nothing but a construct, no emotion is necessary. Since the realization of the future of an expanding universe, apathy is the only intelligent response. It is in contrast to the contented feeling of self-satisfaction of complacency, driven by the illusion of the "ego". Social origin

There may be other things contributing to a person's apathy. Activist Dave Meslin argues that people often care, and that apathy is often the result of social systems actively obstructing engagement and involvement. He describes various obstacles that keep people from knowing how or why they might get involved in something. Meslin focuses on design choices that unintentionally or intentionally exclude people. These include: capitalistic media systems that have no provisions for ideas that are not immediately (monetarily) profitable, government and political media (e.g. notices) that make it difficult for potentially interested individuals to find relevant information, and media portrayals of heroes as "chosen" by outside forces rather than self motivated. He moves that we redefine social apathy to think of it, not as a population that is stupid or lazy, but as result of poorly designed systems that fail to invite others to participate.

OK, So does this sound like a familiar system? so is it not correct for me to assume that APATHY is a created state-created by ourselves in response to the world we live in?

the world is getting better, they are trying and there are people out there who sincerly give a fuck. Just dont forget who you are or the love that can surround your life if you let it xx
im working on it, will be difficult turning away from a habbit of a lifetime, no one said it would be an easy ride, but its one i intend to take one step at a time, in the best way i can, with the best intentions possibl, for the right reasons after considering the implications and percptions of as many as i can possibly concieve.

thankyou for listening to my world xx Amy

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
Amy, I am so pleased you are fighting for yourself, but know none of us came with an 'owner's manual' so we make our best guesses, and often, we fail...these are the times of learning and it is what we take from these events and the compassion we show to ourselves that count

Thanks for the reply Sadeyes,, its more of a rant than anything else, im just starting to get intouch with myself and living the way i way to really live. been a bit of an eye opener to be honest.. feeling happier.
Its mixed emotions really- i still havent got my head around the generic love that people for feel for everyone and everything, i love those close to me in a special way and i care for others but not to that level. thats what im working on. guess im an old stickler for wanting to feel special and having someone I can make feel special.
probably the only way i can feel in love with God/gaia , i am learning and its going to be a long road but i wont give up hope x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00