I wish these urges would stop.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dancingbrit523, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I havent self harmed continuously in a few years now. Ive had a few slip ups but thats it. Lately ive been way more depressed than ever and these urges to cut are way more stronger than ever. I feel like my mind isnt my own anymore. I know i have to see a therapist and ive been trying to work that out. But has anyone felt this way? Where when you get that low you dont even feel like its really your own brain anymore? Ugh. I just feel the need to cut so badly.

2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

have you looked at the alternatives to self harm at the top of this section (something like things to do in sted of hurting yourself?)

have you got someone near you or a friend you can call who can come over

hope they pass soon

3. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

I think i know what you mean, i compare it a little to zoning out...hang in there

4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi Dancingbrit - I've copied here what I've just written to Sparrow, I think it applies too:

Perhaps a question to ask yourself when the pattern threatens to repeat: "What is it that I'm hoping to gain by doing this thing that is going to shame me afterwards?" Tension and stress relief may be the answer - then say it is possible to get the same relief without hurting yourself - can you take up jogging or running - or going on really long walks - all of which can be painful, but at the same time they are helping in a positive way to make you healthy.
    Once some new pathways have been laid down in your brain to channel this energy more constructively, the pattern is going to be broken for you, and you will feel really great about yourself when you know that it's out of your life :)

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I feel this way most days especially with my gf Claire as she can be so intense and full on at times. I know I am with her too as I feel very protective towards her but not as intense and full on as she is with me

Hang in there Dancing

:freehug:

6. mandy

mandy Well-Known Member

i know how you feel, like my brain goes into auto pilot without my consent and decides what it needs to do is have self harm urges. The only way I get through this is distraction. I distract myself with anything and everything until I fall asleep then repeat the next day. I try and put myself near people, try to get out where there are no sharp things, read, draw, watch a movie, go on Tumblr, walk outside, pain your nails, draw on yourself, snap a rubber band , watch videos on youtube, sleep. I have a list I made with over a hundred ideas, and it'd be impossible to do them all in one day. That is what you need, you need to make a list of distractions to do when you feel like this. You have to take back over your brain by doing things you enjoy. Make the list fun, and make it very long. I'm sorry for for me that's the only way to make it through and so that is my only advice. good luck and stay strong :)

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Certainly know how you feel hun, but please try to refrain from it. Today I am wearing a t-shirt when i was at the shops,chemist..people where staring at my scars. While I did not mind all that much, a little bit of shame came into the equation. You don't want to be scarred for life hun, try a healthier alternative however hard that may be.

8. Mandy- thats the thing. All my life ive distracted myself and just feel like giving up. I need to see a therapist but its so hard to get to one. Ugh i hate this. I dont want to live by distractions anymore and im afraid that i have to.

9. isitme87

isitme87 Member

hi
    I was doing this during learning at university. Then I stopped and those urges are almost gone. I hardly ever do that but well tbh I've never fought with urges ...

I guess times makes things do not matter anymore.
    good luck to you

oh - and my best distraction at my 'emotional' times was music. Do you have some 'moving' music you like? I put that in comma as mine was Marylin Manson :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.