I woke up an Atheist...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by riz, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riz

riz Senior Member

(You should have seen the amazing post that I wrote but got lost when I tried to move from the page, so instead you get the spark notes. :D )

I was raised to be an open-minded person and I've experienced many different church services and have learned a lot about world religions. But even while accepting prayer and believing in God, I was losing myself slowly. I was severely depressed and injuring myself a lot in Junior High/High School and it got to the point where I attempted suicide...

It was really sad. I look back on it and can cry. I was just so desperate for an explanation. I was constantly living in fear of "punishment" because I couldn't feel truth in those words.

So after my attempt, I accepted Atheism as a term to describe myself. Even though I was being honest with myself, I was still scared. There are a few crazy definitions in some people's mind when they hear about an Atheist. Evil, Satan worshiper is one that sticks out for me because I find it rather funny. I don't believe in a Heaven or a Hell so I don't worship anything: God or Satan. Being Atheist is just to accept mystery. It is about accepting differences. Faith and worship are a safety net. Religion is padding for a cold planet, void of any spirit or soul, orbiting around in a Universe that we can't even begin to explain.

We don't judge a book by it's cover, so we shouldn't define a Universe by the only speck we can examine....

One common misconception about Atheists:
    We live a meaningless life.

This is completely untrue. I've given myself the permission to let go of false expectations and also the freedom to make my own meaning in this life. I want to surround myself with beauty and life and I will take steps to preserve this quality of life for future generations. This meaning is my own, therefore it is the most important to me.

All of a sudden, I'm free. Simple as that. Accepting that I myself CANNOT answer every question in this Universe has given me the opportunity to enjoy learning and art and science and ancient history and evolution. The human race becomes that much more amazing to examine and evaluate. I gave up the belief that a creator managed to sculpt all of our differences and surrendered to the subtle beauty of biology and genetic combinations.

I want to open the floor to questions. Statements about Atheism. Opinions on Religion. Stories about personal experiences and beliefs. What I don't want to hear is that I'm now in your prayers, close-minded attacks on different beliefs, or ignorant assumptions about me or any group of people. I know how sensitive conversations about Religion can get, so please be kind.

I want to end with a quote from the book, "God Is Not Great." Author Christopher Hutchens states, "[Atheists] speculate that it is at least possible that, once people accepted the fact of their short and struggling lives, they might behave better toward each other and not worse." We are all floating along on the same rock, why not have some understanding?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Glad you found something that works for you, and brings you peace.
    Fuck judgement :hug:
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There are so many different belief systems out there, we as individuals need the freedom to choose what works best for us. While I am not in agreement with your belief, I do respect your right to have it. I am glad you have found solace with what you believe. That is the important thing. :hug:
  4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I am not religious in any way, shape or form so I may be biased but I found your position to be eloquently stated.
  5. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

Atheist here..checking in!

I'm actually an agnostic leaning atheist.

I don't know and neither does anyone else. I just don't make claims until there is evidence.

Tis all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.