I wonder if God is punishing me.. (maybe trig!)

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by ScouseJM, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

.. if I didnt deserve the happiness to last, if I didnt deserve to be loved back the same way because many years ago, I prayed for my nan to die. Because I was angry with her. And the next day she got into hospital and also died.
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

That's a very sad story Scouse and it also demonstrates the power of prayer. Don't blame yourself for your nan's death. It could have also just been a tragic coincidence. Maybe she was sick and you didn't know it, and when you prayed for her death, it sort of cut her lifeline.
  3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

oooh Dave, no.

I count you among a select few gifted helpers on SF but gosh I have to pipe up here because I can't go with that one.

Scouse, here is my opinion which, being religious you may or may not accept: This was pure happenstance. Coincidence hon, and nothing more. To suggest that something as twisted as this is a demonstration of the power of prayer is WAY, WAY miguided imo.

And it doesn't stop there--c'mon, a God who would call your nan home just because you asked "Him"? Don't even think it.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i am sorry for your loss, please don't blame yourself :hug:
  5. ScouseJM

and how exactly does believing in the power of prayer go along with believing what you said? im not sayin she definitely died because of me, for sure no one will ever know but if I started thinking that he wont do anything just because someone asks him, then we all might as well stop praying?
  6. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i think gos is like us, think about if you have for example a whole park of yourse with hundreds of pets. You will do what some ask, and will ignore others, you will get some for having fun and get others to lead the rest, this is how i think that god works, we should pray because may be he may listen and do what we ask, or may be he´ll never reply on us.I´m sorry about what happened but if he did it because you ask for it, then who´s worse?besides you were a kid^^
  7. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

"and how exactly does believing in the power of prayer go along with believing what you said?"

I'm not following you there. I don't understand the question.

"if I started thinking that he wont do anything just because someone asks him, then we all might as well stop praying?"

Praying to Whom? It seems to me that either there is a benevolent God or there is is no God at all. Certainly not one of benevolence, for 70% of our populated world is one hell of a brutal place. If God exists, then his existence is almost irreconcilable with the world's state of affairs.

See we inherit our religions from family; religion is man-made, our belief-systems passed down from generation to generation. (Growing up, the child adopts whatever religion he is born into.) I rather side with German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who has stated that "God" exists only in our imaginations. That postulation makes more sense to me.

8. ScouseJM

ok thats fair enough sorry I misread ur original post in some ways.. I dont agree I have a strong belief in God that I have not inherited from anyone :)
  9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:shake: I envy your conviction. I do. Without a supreme power or divine plan to make some kind of sense of all this, you are left naked against hardship, really.

It is easier to believe that "everything happens for a reason" than to find out god is a mortal creation.

I don't just envy your ability to believe; I respect it, Scouse. :peace:

:smile: Now you take good care,
  10. ScouseJM

Thanks a lot mate, I totally see where u are coming from pointing out there is no explanation :)

Thank you for your reponse and I certainly have the same respect for you x
  11. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I've always thought of it as if you pray for something that is within God's will, he will give it to you. Does that make sense? Like, if you pray for something positive / something that agrees with His plans than your prayer will be answered. So if you pray for strength, wisdom, energy (good things :biggrin:) ... he'll help you out with those things. But if you pray for your mean little brother's shoelaces to get tangled together during school so that he falls and embarrasses himself (sorry, I always give juvenile examples), God probably won't answer that prayer (unless somehow that's part of his plan... i'm not going to pretend to know what he's got going on :tongue:)

I'm probably one of the last people who should be talking about this... my relationship with God has been 'rocky' to put it lightly, but I really don't think God would take someone from this earth simply because one person asked him too. Please don't blame yourself - it was just a terrible coincidence.

I hope that made some sort of sense / was slightly helpful.
  12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Well, first off, thanks for considering me one of the 'gifted helpers' on SF ToHelp. It really means a lot, because I really do try to help. I definitely wasn't saying that Scouse caused her nan's death by praying to God for her to die. A loving God would surely not this happen. I honestly believe that it was your nan's time to go Scouse, and it was all just an unfortunate coincidence. But remember that there is a saying that goes like this. 'Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true.'
  13. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

I, like ToHelp, think you are fantastic and caring, bu i dont think you are checking the power of all of your words. 'Be careful what you wish for' is an unfair analogy. Jasmin was young, and had a silly thought in anger and it happened. It was in no way her fault. If she had the ability to get anything she dreamed of done then she would not be so sad. Again, i do respect you, i am just a bit sadenned by your choice of words.

Jasmin, you didnt do anything. Like has been said, i am not lucky enough to be gifted with religion, but i truely beleive your god would not punish you like that. It was obviously your nans time to go, and you are the victim of a harsh coincidence. Please, feel no guilt. :hug:
  14. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Yes, very misguided. I am trying to be cautious as to "where I am" when I criticize religiousity though, trying to keep in mind such discussions are now relegated on this forum to the "Let it all out" section.
  15. ScouseJM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
  16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm sorry Jasmin if I implied that it was partly your fault that your nan passed away. It was all just an unfortunate coincidence. God isn't punishing you for what you said when you were young. God loves you. :hug:
  17. ScouseJM

Dont apologize Dave I didnt think you were implying that at all.
  18. ScouseJM

Im not sure everyone understood what I meant by this thread. Im not sure if maybe Im wrong there lol.. I am not wondering if it was my fault, I am not wondering if I caused my nans death.. I am wondering if what I have to go thrugh in my adult life it is the punishment for the prayer I said back then.
  19. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I don't believe God would punish you your whole life for something you did as a kid. God knows your heart, sweetness. Don't worry about it. You are a good person. :hug:
  20. ScouseJM

Thank u hun :hug: