I wonder

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by pit, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Back in ancient times, when saber toothed cats, mammoths, and giant sloths ruled the world, I think ancient humans had no time for suicide because they were too busy surviving. That lent a quality, an urgency to their lives.

These days, everything is done for us. We can't see the results of our hard work, we don't know where our money goes, we follow rules created by people we don't know, we go to work expecting each day to be our last, and we find it harder to talk to real life people when cellphones, text messages, and e-mail get in the way.

I say better to die young leading a quality, urgent life than to live to a ripe old age being a nice orderly robot adhering to rules and regulations.

To those ancient pre-civilized humans, I say: You're lucky you died out. You ain't missin' a damn thing.:wink:

2. HUmmm interesting notion, a bit naive, but interesting...unfortunately one is robotised 'before' one reaches old age, thus begging the question, 'if you don't like rules' do somthin about em.

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I think I was in pure survival mode for a lot of the last 2 years. It's weird when you're on a constant 'fight or flight' mode (I was like that for 6 months in my house and it was draining). I can remember thinking about death, but death would still be a last resort, but I'd be on this high adrenaline for so long everything went into basic survival which I coped through dissociating- floating out of my head so I didn't feel too much.

I suppose when you talk about 'we' you talk about a certain 'we'. I don't have or do all those things you mention.

4. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

People would benefit quite a bit by being more laid back. So there's a bunch of senseless rules these days, really how big a deal is it? Not to belittle your opinion as I see and agree with what you say, Pit. But really, life is too short to worry about all that, if you get too caught up in all the intimate details about life and why what happens does you miss out on a lot. I think those cave people were pretty content around their time because they lived life at its most basic, blatant, in-your-face level. No petty social qualms, no worrying about what Suzie said about you behind your back, I doubt there was much worrying going on period. Their lifestyle seemed to be a very in-the-moment sort of thing. I suppose my opinion is just one of many but just kicking back and relaxing, enjoying life the way I personally want to seems pretty paramount to me. To each their own, I guess.

5. aimlessdrifter

aimlessdrifter Well-Known Member

Very true indeed!

6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

As someone who is older, I have to disagree... however, I do see what you're saying in regard to younger people. I get up and work hard every day - I don't have time for video games and other things that seem to obsess young people these days. The old days that you speak of are, to me, the easier times. I wish that all we had to do today was farm our food and tend our dwelling.

In a civilized society, we must adhere to rules and regulations. I would not want to be a part of some third world nation where everyone is running wild without any guidelines to follow.

I must disagree that "these days everything is done for us." Maybe I'm living in the wrong place or something, but nothing is done for me... I have to work hard for everything that I achieve - whether it be attaining possessions, or building relationships, standing up for what is right, helping strengthen the community, and even in the finding of time to volunteer to help others who are less fortunate. The words, "I'm tired...," come out of my mouth more often then they should and I wish times were as easy as they were further back in history.

Life is only what you make of it, and if you want to improve it you have to work even harder. There is quality in life, but quality is not given to us free... we have to struggle and claw and work hard for it. Use technology as a tool, but don't let it consume you or become your master.

7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Pit, I think of sense of purpose is crucial and when it was less complicated, it was also less complicated to determine what that sense of purpose was...today, with all the options and in our global society, it is rather difficult to carve out what is our purpose at times...I try to keep my life simple...compassion to myself and others...it seems, for me, all else comes from that...but yes, there has to be time dedicated to doing what we need, like work and our well being...hope you know you have a sense of purpose here...much caring

8. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

2008? is this appriopriate to bring back up on Pit?
    Oh well still rings true. I can say, no matter what age you are in, if you want to feel that sense of connection with life and your own life, sometimes going into a forest works wonders. camping.. things like that. Where you are free from the social protections and exposed to the natural aspects of life. Helps to release alot of self created systems, and just let you open yourself up to your natural self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.