I would be -very- surprised if someone answered yes...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by falsetooth, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falsetooth

falsetooth Member

...but anyone here survived a gunshot to the head?

2. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

um...nope....i dont think thats possible...

3. bria

bria Well-Known Member

It actually is possible to survive, but it usually leaves you severely brain damaged and disfigured. One of my friends tried to kill themselves that way. They now have the mental capacity of about a 6-year-old. Not fun.

4. I'd imagine if anyone did survive of a gun shut wound to their head they'd be in the care of other people, seeing as above said, they'd have the mental capacity of an infant.
    They wouldn't be able to take care of themselves, they wouldn't be able to do much if anything.
    So, they wouldn't be on a computer.

5. ybt

ybt Guest

We're not allowed to give methods, sorry...

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

wasnt asking for methods really..was asking if someone could survive it. Whos to say his friend didn't get hurt this way.

7. ybt

ybt Guest

True, it could be ambiguous, but the question asks a lot of other things...

8. falsetooth

falsetooth Member

I was just curious to see if it was a common occurrence, because people talk about 'failed' attempt often. I've heard of one case where the guy lose his face, literally, got it reconstructed then became a motivational speaker.

But I agree. They would be severely incapacitated cognitively to be able to use a computer...

9. Trip the Dark fantastic

Trip the Dark fantastic Well-Known Member

I know a few who didn't survive it...amongst them my granddad who chose this method.

Suicide by shooting is a messy affair and success is my no means a foregone conclusion, caliber choice..position of the gun...your will power all need to come together in perfect sync, otherwise...

e.g. you will survive a 22 shot at the temple, you might also survive if you shoot yourself in the mouth. If you angle a gun too shallow, you can survive. The loss of the cerebral cortex, half of your face including eyes, nose, mouth is survivable, as incredible as it sounds. And indeed, suicide candidates survived such an injury. It is the brain stem which controls your breathing, cardiac functions and waking.

10. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Yes you can survive and only when you are very llucky u dont have no longlasting side effects. In one of my wards there waqs a guy that survived and had to go thru horrendous medical things.
    PLEASE dont even try
    :hug:
    You are in my thoughts and prayers
    Beret

11. life

life Well-Known Member

Thats a very nasty way to go...all ur brains will just be everywhere in the room...when ur loved one sees it...They wont recover from it from a long time...do not even consider it....Guns arent toys!....

life x

12. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm....maybe the chances are 0.05% or lower??

13. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I have a friend who had an abusive father who beat her all the time and when she was 6 years old she found her father who'd shot his head off. She never forgot it, never got over it and never will. She's in her mid 40's to this day and it still effects her to this day. As does all suicides but this is NOT a way you want your loved ones to remember you at all.

14. markc

markc Active Member

I'm coming into this one late.

I'm a firearms instructor, and I know of a number of people that have survived a GSW to the head. In a couple of cases, there was nothing more permanent than some minimal scarring. Now, having said that, remember that this is definitely the exception, not the rule. Typically, the attempt is quite effective, and those that do survive are seriously crippled, either physically, mentally, or (usually) both.

I cannot stress this enough: DO *NOT* USE A GUN FOR THIS PURPOSE. Even if you are successful, the effect you leave behind for your friends and loved ones will be so traumatic, it would have been more kind if you'd used the gun on them.

15. gag

gag Well-Known Member

You can survive, my dad knew a guy who accidently shot himself in the face while hunting.
    He had seizures the rest of his life though.

16. gag

gag Well-Known Member

17. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

you can survive a ton of things that seem sure to kill you. I've seen people who only had their upper body, legs and shit completely gone. I have seen some people even survive falls out of tall buildings or bridges with water. Death is very ugly lots of the time, no one can really insure you get a pleasant death.

18. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

it is not just firearms that leave a body like that.

all bodies go into riger mortuis ( spelling ?? ) they all look bad.. the eyes usually bulge , on drowning the face will kind of blow up like and turn real ugly looking.. on several suicide attemps of taking an OD most usually throw up and often get chocked on their own vomit.. every dead body is bad.. it is not a pretty site.. i hope all can and will reconsider what others will see when they find them.. i have a degree in law enforcement ( well rather police sciences ) and i have studied and seen many dead bodies through ride alongs and studies in books.. i think part of that is a fear that keeps me from doing myself in a lot of times that is until i get drunk then i dont care.. so if i was to get drunk enough and had enough hurt in me chances are i would do it and succeed in it, that is unless something stops me like it usually does..

19. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

The people who fail either don't know what they're doing or get very unlucky (or lucky?).

This is the only method I would ever try due to high success rate.

20. falsetooth

falsetooth Member

Reason I started this thread is becomes someone mentioned jumping and surviving in a wheelchair for the last 15 years. Sounded like a true bummer. Maybe an analogue with a gunshot attempt. I seriously find it hard to believe that someone could survive it. Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.