Ian Brady..

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ruby, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Is currently appealing to be taken off a section and moved to a mainstream prison from a high security mental hospital so that he'll be able to commit suicide. He describes his wishes to die, and despite being diagnosed as suffering from mental illness, he claims that his thoughts are rational.

I'm just wondering if you think that he should be allowed to die, or whether you think he deserves to suffer.

I've developed an obsession with him and have spent quite a lot of money buying books based on his life. Personally, I don't want him to die. He's still a human being and simply allowing him to commit suicide is inhumane in itself. Shouldn't people be trying to help him overcome his problems? He was ill when he committed the murders.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think there's no excuse for murder, tell the families he was "ill"
    If he killed my sister and they said "oh he was ill" do you think id be ok with that?!?!
    bulshit get real, it's an excuse!

from what ive read he's in for life, so he may as well be allowed to kill himself...spare a bed for someone else i guess....
    everyone should have the right to die
  3. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I've never understood why a murderer is allowed to outlive his victim. I guess I'm an "eye for an eye" guy.
  4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

PLEASE don't try an start an argument again.
  5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

How is it an excuse? Forsenic psychiatrists have deemed him mentally ILL. If anything, he insists that he's sane so he's hardly using it as ''an excuse''.

You say that everybody has the right to die, yet you post on a pro life forum. Another thing, you think that he should be allowed to commit suicide because he's in for life. Does that apply to all the other serial killers in the world who are in indefinitely? I know people try and free up prisons/secure mental hospitals, but that is a bit extreme :laugh:
  6. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I believe he should remain alive for the sake of criminologists and other scientists wishing to study him.
  7. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

why not? you can't start a thread about your love for a serial killer and expect that everyone is going to agree.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Are you being serious? Please quote what I said that makes you think I ''love'' him. I like studying the criminal mind and I find him/his case very interesting, that's all.Saying that I love someone who I don't know/who killed children is quite stupid tbh.
  9. Amica_1961

Amica_1961 Member

Hey, Ruby, I am with you 100%. I find Brady very fascinating, although I haven't been able to obtain many books about him. He has a lot of self-awareness and depth of insight into his own psyche. I think it would be a shame for him to die, but at the same time I would respect his wishes to do so.
  10. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Finally someone who shares my opinion on him :smile: I'm currently reading a book which he wrote about the minds of serial killers. It mentions people like Ted Bundy, Peter Sutcliffe etc. Ian Brady is a really intelligent man. Tbh, i'm suprised at the apathy regarding this subject.
  11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

In that case, your soul is very likely as damaged as his. Violence corrupts everything it touches. It isn't positive or negative. The world isn't so simple. Hatred poisons all who harbor it. So kill the guy. Will that make everything OK?
  12. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Going to vote for suffering. That is, unless he chooses an extremely painful method of death for himself.
  13. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Im too lazy to google, Who is Ian Brady?
  14. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Difficult one this Ruby.
    Like you I have studied the Moors Murders in depth. Yes Brady was/is ill, which is more than you can say for his accomplice Myra Hindley :mad:
    and I always had a smidge of compassion for him.
    That is until I heard the interview with the CID officer in charge of the case.
    This man had probably seen and heard most evil stuff in his life, yet when he described the tape that Brady and Hindley made of the last moments of Lesley Ann Downey; this tough old cop was reduced to tears and this is years after the event. :sad:
    So personally, I'd let him rot at least the doctors might learn something useful from him.

The-Man here's a link:

15. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

The man was obviously very ill to have done what he did,i can't believe that after being locked up for so many years he could have got any better:blink:sure he's had time to reflect on and regret what he did and i suppose people think it is part of his punishment to do so,but i don't think he should be force fed,let him go....the doctors have had many years to study him i'm sure they know him inside out by now....starvation is one of the most painful ways to die.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  16. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

When someone gives you a gift, are you not thankful for this good you received? You want to give something equally good back, don't you? You feel that's the right thing to do, to restore the balance of giving and getting.
    When someone gives you something bad, it's the same thing. The balance must be restored, the evil must be returned.
    Revenge may be pointless to reason, but it has nothing to do with reason, just like the reciprocity of gifts has nothing to do with it. It is pre-rational.
    Nothing will ever be OK again, that is the essence of killing, the irreversability of it. I know everything will not be OK, it is too late for that.
    To prove we take the victim's death serious, we have to be absolutely merciless to the murderer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  17. Amica_1961

Amica_1961 Member

Actually, Ruby, I am surprised as well. I was fascinated by this case when I originally read the book "Beyond Belief" about the Moors Murders. And somehow, he is a fascinating, intriguing person. His intelligence is well above normal. He did try to help police to profile Ted Bundy to catch him. I wish I could obtain the books he has written.
  18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

By reducing yourself to the level of an animal, driven by pure instinct? That is not a thinking solution. It's a kneejerk reaction. It's the kind of reaction you might expect from a rabid dog. We're people. We can think our way out of difficult situations.

It's interesting that you chose to use the word "merciless". Because mercy is a uniquely human thing. No other creature has the capacity to show mercy even when it has absolutely no reason to. Reactionary violence is easy. Too easy. It's kind of disturbing how corrupt the minds of those who give themselves over to it become.

You see. This guy is not a monster. He's just a person who is ill. Assigning labels like "monster" allow us to dehumanize those we intend to do the unthinkable to. Because it's the only way we can rationalize it.
  19. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

That's probably the stupidest thing anybody has ever said to me in my whole life.
  20. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Don't forget to invite me to the wedding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.