I'd Like Someone Here to Justify

• Thread starter DisposableDixieCup
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DisposableDixieCup

Any reason for thinking that suicide is bad?

If I, or anyone else for that matter, should so choose to move to another plain of existence than why is that bad?

Sure we all hurt, but some of us can't get rid of that. No matter how hard we try. First we genuinely try every possible way to be happy, and when that doesn't work, we'll mask it. I assure you after both fail, there really is no permanent solution other than suicide.

Suicide is a choice that I believe should be respected by all.

suicide is in truth, giving up on life...

there are reasons behind it and all, but really its just an easy form of escape... sometimes it could be considered a smart play, maybe the person who commits it really would have suffered the rest of their life.. but its an unknown. i dunno.. i can easily understand how its bad.. i dont know how to explain myself right now. ive lost 7 pounds this last 2 weeks from lack of food and im an exhausted airhead right now...

id have been gone probably but i cant let go of my optimistic views on things... with luck as bad as mine shits got to turn around eventually.

How about how much you will hurt the people you are leaving behind?.. The future you are leaving behind-ok right now it looks bad, but it can get better..The trauma caused to the people/perosn who has to find you....i can keep going.
As someone keeps telling me *suicide is a permenant solution to a temporary problem*

bumper

It's just a matter of perspective. If anyone tells you that suicide is bad, it simply means that they can't understand the pain you are experiencing.

They can't see things from your perspective. They might tell you that suicide is bad simply because they don't understand. They are ignorant. I don't mean that in a bad way (I'm jealous, actually).

So there is no way someone will be able to answer your question in a rational way. It can't be done. Until someone has truly seen things from your perspective, they won't be able to give you a rational, honest answer. They will just be speaking from their perspective. It will make sense to them because they don't understand. But it won't make sense to you.

I do understand your pain. I do see it from your perscpective. I want nothing more right now than to do it....however I still stand by the reasons I made in my last post. There are plently of reasons not to do it. And there are plently of other ways out of the pain we are feeling

bEvans

Even if you're one to treat the actual problem, rather than the symptoms, you'd still have trouble relegating the idea of life to either category.

Jodi

Staff Alumni
in my opinion its a personal belief,for exampple .... in many ways like what your belief is religously. I think as we go through different stages in our life that answer does change for everyone at some point and maybe even a few times....for example, I'll give you my background...I was raised a Roman Catholic.....sunday school...bible camps in the summer...first communion...baptized as a baby...never made confirmation at age 16.....then as life moved on for me....around age 29 I confessed to becomming a Born Again Christian...Bible school/study....womens bible study(which was a Christian book club) retreats...everything...fully dipped water baptized....practiced for a few years....and about two years ago...for personal reasons became angry with God....and stopped everything...now Im not practicing but still believe....ok...so I have rambled long enough....bottom line I thik its personal prefference.

As sweet and effective a protest and revenge, and as wise a pain-circumvention - suicide is...at the back of my mind, I suspect there's a hidden enlightenment and liberation available to anyone bold enough to find it.

Though I doubt anybody yet has.

Reincarnation seems inevitable to me; so suicide will mean (for better or worse) having to start again from scratch.

It'd be a shame to waste all I've accomplished so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ending life prematurely, whether that's a bad thing or not depends on what you think of life. So there really is no justification, it's an opinion, an argument based entirely on morals. The general concensus is that life is a good thing and there is no hereafter, so ending life is insanity. It depends on what you think. Personally, I think it's wrong because you hurt people by doing it. And of course it's giving up, as opposed to displaying true strength of character by pressing on even in the face of the toughest darkest times, which is something to be respected. There is nothing to be admired in taking the easy way out.

'The general concensus is that...there is no hereafter,'

!?

'...as opposed to displaying true strength of character by pressing on even in the face of the toughest darkest times, which is something to be respected. There is nothing to be admired in taking the easy way out.'

Yeah, Freud? Vincent Van who?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recently thought it was a good thing, but thinking about it now I only wanted to kill myself to end pain. But why end pain? Because its unenjoyable, because its the only thing that we feel and its bad? We have no idea what happens after this life, maybe there is nothing, so why not feel now, even if its bad, because you can. If we couldn't feel anything, I would want to kill myself, being in this pain reminds me that I'm alive. You have life, so why not just live it for as long as it lasts. You never know, something good might happen. And that might be worth all the pain. Its not impossible to live with pain, it hurts and seems pointless but we'll never know if there's a reason if we cut the journey short.

yada

If I, or anyone else for that matter, should so choose to move to another plain of existence than why is that bad?
I've been asking the same thing.

It's just a matter of perspective. If anyone tells you that suicide is bad, it simply means that they can't understand the pain you are experiencing.
Exactly. And on a related note, in a recent discussion with 2 friends, they both felt that it is wrong for anyone to take their own life. But who are they to demand that I, who am feeling this severe pain and has not been able to correct it, should stick around to bear it anymore. I should be able to weigh the options as I see it and feel it, and decide for myself, and I should not be guilted into feeling like I can't leave. I think it is wrong of others to tell me I don't have the right to leave.

BTW, I only speak for myself here.

Death is an inevitability. The people around you will have to mourn you sooner or later.
And in some warped way, perhaps others should feel better that I left on my own terms and when I felt it was best for me. Though in other ways, my parents wouldn't have had to mourn my death if all else were normal ... I would have had to mourn theirs.

... Personally, I think it's wrong because you hurt people by doing it.
Well, if those people don't care about me when I am here, then why should I feel bad about how they feel when I do leave? Well, at least that's the theory. In reality, the reason I'm still here is because of one specific person that I expect I'll hurt.

And of course it's giving up, as opposed to displaying true strength of character by pressing on even in the face of the toughest darkest times, which is something to be respected. There is nothing to be admired in taking the easy way out.
"The easy way out" is an opinion based on how you see it ... as a moral struggle? I see myself as a project. At various points in time, the project needs to be evaluated and a determination made as to whether the project is on track or whether the project is doomed to failure. There will he hiccups along the way, but if it is really doomed to failure, then the decision should be made to halt the project and not consume further resources.

And of course it's giving up, as opposed to displaying true strength of character by pressing on even in the face of the toughest darkest times, which is something to be respected. There is nothing to be admired in taking the easy way out.
If suicide was the "easy way out", the human race would have gone extinct a long, long time ago. We are hard-wired by nature to keep on living. Going against that instinct is always very unusual and signals that an extraordinary struggle has taken place. It's easy to forget that when the battle takes place in someone else's mind, beyond your ability to witness it.

The reason I havent committed suicide..yet at least..is because of my religious background. I wouldnt say that I am a Christian but I do value some of the Christian morals cause I am religious, so the way I look at it, suicide is an unforgivable sin and once you do it you cant take it back. Thats what keeps me alive...so I guess my parents sending me to a Christian school payed off somehow.

worlds edge

I don't think very many actions can be described as good or bad without knowing the motivation behind them. In some instances suicide makes sense, in others it probably doesn't. The category of suicide that I personally consider "bad" would be if it is done out of spite, or is done without thinking through what you're actually going to do as much as you can beforehand. As in acting out emotionally in the heat of the moment.

To reiterate what I said, I think we'd need to know some more about you before coming to a specific conclusion in your case.

I also personally see no evidence that there is another plane of existence after this one, but I guess that's a different topic altogether.

Sure we all hurt, but some of us can't get rid of that. No matter how hard we try. First we genuinely try every possible way to be happy, and when that doesn't work, we'll mask it. I assure you after both fail, there really is no permanent solution other than suicide.

Makes sense to me, or at least a degree of sense. However, the problem I have with the above is that I don't see happiness as the sum total of our existence or the be all and end all of it. Thus, although I see no reason to live for myself, I admit that I owe several people in my life a duty to continue on as best I can. Whether this sense of obligation will be enough for me long-term is an open question, but I admit that I owe others a duty to keep on living. And I doubt I will ever be able to shake this, even if I do decide to end my life. Under present circumstances I would feel guilt even as I did it.

Of course, the above applies to me and me only. If you've adopted philosophical hedonism as your creed, I guess there's not much we can say to each other. Not that I don't respect such a line of thought, simply that I don't really understand it at base.

Suicide is a choice that I believe should be respected by all.

I don't think any choice or action should be respected or for that matter despised without first understanding the motivation behind it. As in if a millionaire gives money to charity solely so he'll get publicity, you've got a good action undertaken for what I'd consider dubious reasons.

Did I just say the same thing about 27 times? I think I did. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00