Ideation - Hospitalization?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by galalleni, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Hi All,

In my state (New Mexico, US) - any mention, even of past occurrences, of ideation is an immediate inpatient hospital stay - is this different in other states/countries?

I am afraid of going to see/talk to anyone here about my overwhelming urges because I know I will not survive if I am put into an inpatient treatment - my feelings are so strong now I am not sure what I'm going to do (hanging on so far from talking with supportive people).
  2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

New york the only criterion for hosipitalization is danger to self or others.
  3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Same with Texas.
  4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Here in Florida you can be put in the hospital under what they call the 'Baker Act.' Basically if you're at risk of hurting yourself or others, they can hospitalize you.
  5. galalleni

Anyone know if feeling suicidal they will hear what you are thinking and put you away?

I'm afraid of them taking me and suppressing my mind with all kinds of drugs - it permanently skewed my mind last time I was on meds (I can't think straight anymore).
  6. Lethal Photography

Lethal Photography Well-Known Member

In my experience(in MD), if you go to a psychiatrist or therapist or someone and tell them that you're feeling suicidal, they won't necessarily put you in the hospital, as long as they see that you're trying to get help and keep yourself from committing suicide. If your feelings of suicide are overwhelming, they might put you in hospital. If you're really worried about what you might do, you might want to look into a day hospital. It's pretty much going to the hospital in the morning, and leaving in the mid to late afternoon(the ones I was in let out at about 3:00). That might be an easier way for you to cope while still being kept an eye on and receiving therapy every day.
  7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There is a vast difference betw ideation and action...but whatever the definition, if you are in need of services, please seek them...being safe and gaining strength is much more can interview anyone who you
    might potentially see, and this will give you a sense about the type of person the provider of luck, and be safe, J
  8. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

In NH, Live Free or Die , they don't give a f***k if you kill or be killed. You need your approval in order to get in.

Bro, worry nut, its nice people inside. Serious comedians are all hospitalized.No wonder no more good jokes out there.

One time, we did a hunger strike just becoz we want a stake for supper.
    We drove the staff whacky.

New Mex, no idea, but New Hamp is really fun. Eat, " meeting" , colours,
    watch TV, joke with each other is cool. Only thing is cannot go outside & smoke.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Where I am, unless you have plans and say you will definitely act on them they can't hospitalize you without your consent. But if they fear you are a danger to yourself or someone else they will whisk you off immediately.
  10. galalleni

The reason I asked this question is because I've had court orders to be put in the hospital before (for not taking meds, another time for getting prepared to depart). I'm afraid that if I so much as mention or think about it in the presence of these people they will put me away again - it would be the end of me (whether I am drugged into complacency or I force myself to go through with my plan).

Not really sure - feel pretty trapped/powerless/suicidal. Will definitely go through with things around May 14 (when my life will be utterly destroyed - financially/educationally/future).

PS A lot of people have been saying I can recover financially (with my debt), they don't realize my debt is to the Federal Government - I cannot be free of the debt even if I file bankruptcy (the debt persists throughout even after death, they go after estate, of which I have none anyway).
  11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Do you know the work of Mary Ellen Copeland? Some of her writing exercises might help, take a look around her site:

I'm thinking particularly the stuff around having a wellness plan and a crisis plan. You know what you don't want... hospitalisation of any kind... but what about what you *do* want... like a therapist who you can trust, who won't commit you for feeling suicidal.... the freedom to make your own decisions for your care, and so on.

As for the debt issue, you are right, it won't go away. But it can be fixed. I defaulted on my student loans, but finally paid them back (finished payments in 2004... finished my undergrad in 1984). It took forever. For a few years I paid nothing, and just hid from the debt collectors. Eventually I had a good job, and several promotions, and for three years I gave every other paycheque, in it's entirety, to the debt collectors.

Please use the time between now and May 14 to get better supports in place. Could you contact a mental health advocacy group and learn more about your rights before your next counselling appointment? Just thinking out loud...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.