If a cut gets infected...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ATLAFlame, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

How do I get treatment for it without it being identified as self-harm cuts
    I ask this question only as a last resort, I do not currently have an infected cut (so far as I can tell), but if i do get one I'd rather have outpatient treatment such as antibiotics than get a more serious infection/infection related illness such as septicaemia and have to stay in hospital (hospitals themselves don't agree with me or my mental health, and it also increases the chance of being pressured/coerced into professional help)
    i ask because i have found that being pressured/coerced into professional mental health services 'help' makes me significantly worse (serious attempt suicide with the definite aim of dying worse), so it is reasonable to assume that I'd be made even worse than I was then if I got forced into professional help, and let's not even go into what would happen if I was forced into a psychiatric hospital... *censored because of intensely triggering nature*

So I ask is there a way to get infected si cuts treated without them being identified as sI?
    Please note: this post is not pro-self harm, and hopefully not against the rules, this is a last resort option for if i get an infected cut
  2. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

Is there no advice on this? :(
    I'm now month(s) clean but i may relapse again in the future so it'd still be useful to know
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, can't you go to any voluntary hospitals where you give a false name. Get help and leave once the wound is dealt with. Alternative to self-harming is an elastic bands.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry your coping method is self-harm. It stops or numbs one's feelings - but not for long. It doesn't really "fix" or "resolve" anything. It leaves scars, can cause infection, and tells others that the person is hurting inside as much as they are hurting from the injury. It doesn't actually help in the long run to deal with things that make us feel really badly.

I don't know if there is a way to avoid saying how an injury occurred. I think that most medical professionals know the places and kinds of injuries that are self-inflicted, so even a lie doesn't work and, in fact, suggests that maybe the patient doesn't want to stop the behavior, just wants to stop the infection or bleeding...Might be hard for a medical professional to take in that someone is willfully hurting him/herself and then wants the same treatment as someone who was hurt by accident. Yes, of course, self-injury is a medical/mental health problem and deserves compassion; however, it can still be hard for people to understand such a self-destructive response to life.

The real solution is to get initial medical treatment for any serious injury or infection resulting from self-harm...followed up with treatment for the underlying mental health issues. Keep in mind that mental health treatment is not the same everywhere. Perhaps it's time to explore what programs/therapists/doctors are available in your area and then see if you and they can work out a program of treatment that satisfies you and them.

Turning down the treatments for mental health issues can be enmeshed in the mental health problems themselves - but turning help down can come across as being unwilling to help oneself. In a busy and sometimes understaffed emergency clinic, a patient who doesn't want help to get completely better might be very frustrating to the staff. *shrugs*

I would recommend honesty and discussion about the kinds of mental health treatment available. Self-destructive behavior might be a "coping mechanism" and the only one someone knows, but it doesn't have to be the only one. Different programs can teach new coping mechanisms.

I hope you find a way to get the medical treatment you need and find the mental health supports that will get you beyond self-destructiveness. :hug:
  5. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

I do not agree that honesty is the best way to go about this for me, now that I'm on my way to recovery, I do not really want to be made worse again by the threat of mental health services hanging over my head yet again.

Don't worry I'm well known by everyone i know as a pain in the arse (mainly cos i refuse to give up on them and let them die peacefully, i will never give up trying to save lives) so a few extra people wouldn't matter really in the grand scheme of things, besides i have little regard for what professionals think of me, like the majority of them would think I'm not the right person to be helping people, due to not being 'qualified' and all, so it doesn't really bother me how they feel towards me :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.