If at first you don't succeed do you keep on trying?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's hard enough to make the first step, but failing it, it's just brutal. Be it from a new job, new relationship or anything you haven't try out before. The first experience always will be imperfect.

So are you more prone to quit after a failure or keep trying? Tell us how do you act when that happens. Obviously the range will be very differ widely from person to person, which is why this will be interesting.

2. Ptitz

Ptitz Well-Known Member

my whole life is a struggle to overcome great difficulties in trying to achieve some distant and ambitious goals. with minimum possible efforts.

however ye, the goals have to be distant and ambitious. otherwise i just go like... aah, fuck it.

3. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

When I generally fail, I like to do better next time if I'm provided the opportunity. I know I'm that way in sports. I bust my ass to make up for blown midterms on finals. I know each failure feels terrible though. I tend to blame myself for not trying enough, not doing/being what I was supposed to. It's a terrible habit of course. It's like being a self-critic on overdrive. You are your own self-critic and its better, I'm sure, on health and stress levels if you brush off a certain degree of failure. Nothing needs to be perfect. Heh, if only I could listen to my own advice. Failure can't be option. I must try again, until I succeed...

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I've always been a perfectionist so I come down hard on myself if I fail at anything....
    I realise this is not a good way to be so I try to do the right thing and talk positive to myself...doesn't always work though.....
    I know we're supposed to learn by our mistakes so I must be pretty knowledgable about all things done wrong .....
    If at first you don't succeed..hide the evidence and try again....

5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that i haven't answered to my own question, it's just that somehow this question reminds me of so many failures...

6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I keep trying but am unsure why???

7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:console:

8. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

I used to be good at getting back up and trying again, but after so many failures I just think 'what's the point' anymore? My patience with myself is wearing thin.

9. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

most of the time, i should keep on trying else all things will crumble.

10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I always keep trying and aiming for more / better next time - it's how I'm motivated

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

:hug:

Quote Abacus21:
    I always keep trying and aiming for more / better next time - it's how I'm motivated

Same here. I keep trying, because it's how I stay motivated.

12. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I've never really been the persistent type- although I will try several times when it comes to some things;I probably back off a bit easier than most people do.
    There are alot of things that I don't really want all that much, so I'm not as motivated to keep trying for them as I am with other things.

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't see myself as a failure if something doesn't happen the way I thought it would. I used to, many years back- it seems ages now, but it was only lets say 3 years ago. Now I don't. Everything is an adventure and an experiment- (right now it's growing things but I'm gonna do a lot of drawing and writing with it :D) if things go off track, then I'll go that way and see where it takes me..

I'm not interested in success, other people's idea of success. Nor am I interested in 'motivating' myself for things that will, in the end, damage me- there is nothing wrong with not doing "anything" in others eyes - I do a ton anyway. I'm pretty much my own star. Only the people who've actually listened to me and realised who I am, and what my life was like, and how it's like now, will see this. If they don't, then they can fuck off..cos I don't want them around.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  14. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

Keep trying, of course. I'm an expert in the bash-your-head-against-the-wall-until-the-wall-breaks approach.
    It'snot because I am motivated, but because there aren't any other options.
    What else are you going to do if not try again? I'd take the kill yourself option, but that is even more difficult to accomplish.

I've had many failures. So, it's not like I can't deal with them. I can take it in stride more often than not, but it still annoys me. I can become a bit irritable when that happens.

On the other hand, if I succeed, I don't really get any joy from that success. It's more a case of relief at not having failed.

15. more trying

more trying Guest

I do not know. I am still in school but I do not have gredits enough.. Is that trying? Or just playing time with wishes I can do this tomorrow or some another day... And never will...

With my family we do not speak again, they let me down again, I am too tired to try with them anymore, especially when one said 'I am sorry to slip that out' they was planning to hide that they was taken my property and gave it to another and I am too sick of them to try anything anymore.

With relationships... In the net I do not know what is trying and what is just talking. I do not understand anything about relationships. Friendship or what ever ship, I choke all of them anyway.

Maybe I should try more but different kind of things, I just do not know what and how.

16. I keep trying for, what it's worth. That's why I'm still alive. I have to keep trying when things don't work out. When you were a kid and fell off your bike I bet you still got up with tears in your eyes and blood streaming from your knees, didn't ya? That's childsplay compared to the drastic suffering you have to endure later on tho.

When you were a kid you are like a rubber ball you bounced back. When you're a teen there is angst and confusion but you try to anticipate that things will get a little beta when you're all grown up, and it seems to work when you're coming up. I'm in my twenties now and see that that is bs. It comes with experience, see? You continue to live coz you think things will get better with a bit more time, another wk, month, day , yr. That's how your brain screws with ya and your sense of time.

God I wan to die! Heh heh

17. Aurora81

Aurora81 New Member

If a baby, in attempting his/her first steps falls and does not get back up again he/she will never learn to walk. Life is hard and full of obstacles, sometimes we fall down. If we never get up again we miss out on so much. Hard as it may seem, the only way forward is to get up and try again :smile:

18. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

If I keep trying I tend to fuck things up worse, I either get it right the first time or not at all.

19. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

I usually try it over again, but the people in my life make it really hard for me to want to at times. If I failed something or did something wrong, I'm well aware.. there's no need to point it out or bring up past failures over and over.. >.<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.