If hell exists …

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Anonymous2, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Assuming that hell exists, do you think you will go there if you commit suicide?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

If you’re an atheist or agnostic, just assume hell does exist for the purpose of this poll. Treat it as a hypothetical situation.

2. Anonymous2

If hell does exist, I don’t think I will go there if I commit suicide. I don’t think suicide is a grave enough sin to warrant eternal damnation. Especially, since I have no kids or people who depend on me. I am a disturbed, unusual individual, and my life does not bring much benefit to society. My departure would not cause a great deal of pain to others.

3. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

As someone who is rational (at least when it comes to religious mumbo jumbo :tongue:), I would say it depends what book of mumbo jumbo you are reading......

I vaguely recall that the Papists were big on Hell for suicides - but then again they were big on the Sun orbiting the earth (and killed people who disagreed) and I think they have changed their minds on this, so maybe Suicide is also now different?

Maybe have a chat to one of the salesmen for the mumbo jumbo of your choice?

4. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I don't believe in hell or heaven.

Someone doing bad things in a lifetime of 60 years doesn't require a eternity of punishment, and someone doing good things in a similar lifetime doesn't meet the criteria for eternal paradise.

Heaven and hell are worthless goals. You can be good, you can be bad, but you don't know if you will actually be punished by a God for your sins. People do stupid things and people do beautiful things... but that doesn't exactly make that "bad" person evil or that "good" person selfless.

5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Even in fictions about Hell and Heaven some who killed themselves (Cato for example) are not in hell. Who knows? I'd like to imagine that they get some rest from their own torment, how is one life time of pain not enough punishment?

6. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

God is pure unconditional love, you have nothing to fear imo.

7. Anonymous2

Yea … seriously … It does seem like suicidal people should achieve peace instead of punishment after death. We have suffered so much already. Suicide is not the easy way out; suicide is a last resort for people who have serious problems and considerable pain.

8. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

When you think about it Jesus opt'ed for death by Judas - he didn't run from his roman oppressors even when he knew how he'd be persecuted (an ancient form of suicide by cop). I welcome different opinions on this issue. However, I doubt a benevolent god would allow a great tragedy of suicide to be compounded by eternal damnation - people do it because they are mentally ill or because the pain and stress becomes unbearable to them, why punish them for an eternity after they've been punished enough (purgatory as an option perhaps for the Roman Catholics on the board).

9. peach333

peach333 Member

Actually I believe suicide would bring you to hell or purgatory.. I use to be a cutter and the thought would actually stop me from actually killing myself..

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Suicide is taking a life. It may be your own, but it is still killing someone. I am not sure how this would be viewed by a kind and loving God. He gives us choices in life. Sometimes the choices we make take away choices from someone else. I think if there is a hell, we have already found it. It is here on earth.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree.

12. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Just a note from the perspective of Hinduism - there are seven levels of hell - most levels of which exist in the mind and soul of the person experiencing hell. It's the destructive opposition to enlightenment. I would have to say under this belief system that someone who attempts suicide or completes it is in a level of hell already - the pain and suffering they are experiencing can be a personal hell to them (within the mind or soul). It's definitely a battle in which one can prosper or suffer depending on what path they are on. Hindu's believe that one who doesn't gain enlightenment from their suffering is in a personal state of hell. So, yes, hell is feeling suicidal or completing it, a personal hell that is.

13. Assuming that hell exists, do you think you will go there if you commit suicide?

My answer :

Hell No!!!

14. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

sins a sin though . Thats why bible says all sinners are the same in gods eyes wether you were mass murderer or a puritan. We are all lowly compared to god. So thats one reason why it loves us all unconditionally. We are all its creation it loves us all like a mother loves her children, and it would be wrong to love one child more than another even if they were bad. Hell is bullshit fear mongering. Don't let your mind be controlled by fear.

15. ItThing

ItThing Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with this, I have reasons to severely doubt the existence of god and/or hell. For me, there are so many paradoxes in the Christian system of belief that even if I knew hell existed, I would not be able to make sense of the admission requirements.

16. ItThing

so mercy killings are not okay either? But we are given minimum requirements for living full lives and creating more life. But god is supposed to have a monopoly on life and death. I heard once about a couple in jerusalem who would not take their child to a hospital because she was in gods hands. But we can have babies. Maybe we are supposed to perpetuate life. Maybe puritanism is a sin and there's supposed to be free love. I am so confused by religion. The only way to follow the rules is to just do what the religious leader says, which is stupid and harmful, right? Fuck the church it makes no sense!

17. neverdie

neverdie Guest

There is no heaven and there is no hell. When one dies, everything goes black and that's it. Ur dead. Nothing to fear. No pain, no happiness no nothing. But if u kill urself ur going to miss out on the good stuff the world has to offer. The way ur feeling now will pass, things will get better, the depression will stop over time, wait and see how good the world is.

18. Jasonfine27

Jasonfine27 Well-Known Member

If when you die, it all goes to black, then what is the point of enjoying our life now? How can one think "Even though I will spend an eternity in utter blackness, I'm gonna enjoy the count down til my death?" That doesn't make any sense. This is coming from a Christian...

19. ItThing

"The universe does not owe us any answers"
    -Richard Dawkins, radio interview...

20. Raven

Raven Guest

No, I have never belived in the idea of hell. It is something that people use to convert people to their faith and a poor choice at that. If God exists then hell can't if he does then he is not God and I have nothing to worry about. I do not belive the two can coxists.

~Raven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.