If I speak to my GP about how I'm feeling, will he inform family members?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by foreveryoung, Jun 7, 2015.

1. foreveryoung

foreveryoung Member

I'm 22 and I live in England. I've felt low every day for over 6 years now. I've thought about suicide pretty much every day, but I've never been suicidal to the point of attempting suicide. I just think about it a lot and it kind of comforts me knowing that I can always leave this world if things get too much. But I'm not suicidal. I love my mum too much. I just feel really down, worse than ever now. I've decided to try those 5-htp pills - I took 50mg last night and 50mg today. I'm not sure if they're the reason but today I've felt the lowest I've felt in a long long time. I woke up, watched tv for abit and then went back to sleep for a few hours. I then woke up, watched TV again and started crying thinking about how good my childhood was and how shitty life is now. Now my chest feels kinda tight like I'm hyperventilating or something. I'm desperate to feel well but I'm scared to see my doctor. I've never spoken to anyone about my depression before, not even close family or friends. I keep most things to myself and I have quite bad social anxiety so the thought of speaking to my GP scares me. I dunno what to say. But more than anything I'm scared that he'll ring my parents up (I still live at home) and tell them everything. I don't want them to find out. My mum's on anti-depressants, my auntie has bipolar, my cousin committed suicide a few years ago and a couple years ago I caught my brother making a noose in the early hours of the morning. He's ok now but he was unwell for a while and it killed my mum. She's such a worrier and I don't want to see her like that again. I don't want her to worry about me.. I wanna deal with this on my own. Do you think my doctors will contact her if I tell them how I'm feeling?
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Your doctor will DEFINETLY NOT contact anyone without your express permission, you are of age and anything and everything you say to your GP is private and confidential.
    Please do make an appointment, GPs have come a long way in understanding depression and social anxiety and there are a number of things they can suggest to help.
    If you freeze up on face to face conversations, write down exactly what you want to say and hand him/her the note, that way nothing gets left out that can help with a diagnosis. :)
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

As Terry said the doctor definitely will not inform your family of anything you say to them. It is completely confidential. It must have been traumatic for you to see your brother lie that, how did he recover from his depression? Maybe you could talk to him and leave your mom out of it if you think it will cause her to worry and be concerned. I wish yo the best of luck and make sure you make that doctors appointment, its of vital importance!
  4. Smilie46

Smilie46 Well-Known Member

Writing things down (to take to appointments) has certainly helped me