If I tell my psych I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, wil I be..

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by AlexSmoke, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexSmoke

AlexSmoke New Member

...restrained during transport?

I have suicidal thoughts and I am afraid to tell my psychiatrist. I am afraid because if she does decide to send me to the hospital, I heard that I will be handcuffed by a cop or have my hands and feet tied to the gurney if it's an ambulance during transportation, even if I don't fight and I accept to go voluntarily.

Is this true? I am afraid to tell her in case of this.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Re: If I tell my psych I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, wil I

You need to tell them a lot more than just that you feel suicidal to even get into a psych hospital voluntarily, much less remanded or restrained. If you do say something that gets you remanded the procedures are whatever the procedures are in your location and also contingent on your cooperation and level of threat to yourself or others. Most times through a hospital there are no restraints, but here if it is police transporting as soon as you say you are suicidal you will be handcuffed. This is apparently not the norm everywhere and is if it is the police that are the responders for some reason as opposed to medical staff like ambulance, which is also not common unless are actually in an attempt and police are called. In general it is far harder to even get a bed in a psyche hospital voluntarily then most imagine- much less remanded and restrained.

3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

Re: If I tell my psych I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, wil I

I'm not sure, but I do know that once you're in the hospital that you probably won't be able to leave whenever you want even if you go voluntarily. I was in the hospital recently and although I went in voluntarily, once they had me, it was clear that I couldn't just leave. I regreted going because I should have known that it wasn't going to help and it didn't. I had to stay there for two weeks until the doctor agreed to let me go. He didn't really want to let me leave since the meds weren't working, but the problem for me is that by this time, I pretty much realize that there isn't any medicine that's going to help me.

4. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

Transported 3 times - twice by police, once by ambulance

Police cuffed me both times and sat in ER in cuffs

Can't remember ambulance

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Not in my opinion, no. When I was signed into the psych ward from a day hospital or appointment I usually got transported by family. I suppose it's different everywhere and it depends on the circumstances but I do believe that you will not be handcuffed or restrained.

6. ausy94

ausy94 New Member

As long as your not combative or activlly harming yourself or others then you'll only have the typical seat belts on for the ride.

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

If you're so concerned about it, bring yourself to the hospital and save yourself the trouble stressing yourself out of the transport method.

Been on the ambulance route several times and it's only the seatbelt. Because I simply saw no point in resisting and just cooperated with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.