If I tell my therapist Im suicidal...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by foreverforgotten, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I need help..

If I tell my therapist im suicidal will my therapist report it to anyone?
    Like say my mother..( Because they think someone should know)
    or make me go to a hospital..? Will she tell someone
    Because she feels I am a danger to myself or anything
    Stupid like that? Or since I'm a legal adult now..
    Will I have patient confidentiality? When I was 8
    Everything I told my therapist who said she would never tell
    Anyone..she told it to child protective services.. And called my mom..
    Patient confidentiality my ass. Is this just a lie?

I can lead you to a post right now..
    about someone who had their therapist call the cops
    to go to their house and "talk" about it. to prevent it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

if your of age adult legally your therapist can not tell anyone even family members If you say you have thoughts of suicide that is different then wanting to committ suicide explain the therapsit you have ruminating thougts okay and tell T you don't think you will act on them just the thoughts won't go away and maybe get new medication to help stop those thought.

3. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I know in most of the U.S. if you imply that you are going to kill yourself, your therapist does by law report it to the proper authorities. To claim your suicidal should be fine without any reports and such.

4. foreverforgotten

5. Johnnyc

Just do not tell them you are going to kill yourself. Tell them you are just feeling slightly suicidal, you should be fine.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Tell them that you're experiencing thoughts about suicide but do not intend to act on them. It's a very normal occurrence during depression; they will only break confidentiality if they believe you're an immediate threat to yourself or others.

7. Johnnyc

I just had my psychiatrist my last visit ask me cause it was a very emotional visit, ask me if I was going to commit suicide before our next visit. I told her no, I also told her I was just saying that so I did not have to go to the hospital, she said she figured that.

So if you do not imply it you will be fine.

In my experience.

8. foreverforgotten

okay.. i just wont even say the word.
    it kind of plays down everything though..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
  9. Johnnyc

You can say you have thoughts of suicide, just do not say you are going to do it

10. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

If you tell them your are suicidal they will most likely try and get details to access just how suicidal you are. The questions they mainly ask are: Do you have a plan?, Do you have a date?, and Do you have a note written. There are more too but those are the main ones specifically the first two. If you say like 'yes im going to kill myself right after i leave your office by doing XXX' then by law they have to make you go to the hospital. At which point the hospital psych staff will access you again and determine themselves if you need to be admitted but chances are if you've outlined your suicide to your therapist already then they will atleast hold you for 3 days(this does not include holidays or weekends... many people overlook this) so if you go in on a friday... well depending on who happens to be there on the weekend you may not get out until mid the following week at the earliest.

Now here comes the (good?) other part. They only have to admit you to the hospital if your 'date' is within 30 days/a month or so. So if you say you're going to kill yourself next year and you've given them a method and so on then they most likely won't admit you or send you to the hospital or anything.

Regarding your experience therapists as child, if you're under the age of 18 and you talk about a family member or someone in your home being abusive in anyway to you by law they have to tell child services or whatever it is that they notify.

Also if your under the age of 12 then doctors do have permission to share your information with parents/guardians. Now obviously if it's something you've specifically asked for them not to share then it would be a bit of a jerk move on their part to go ahead and share that info however at the same time sometimes there are things that are unavoidable and need to be shared. I've also heard of some stories of some very pushy parents but most of the time i think it's safe to say that if a parent asks for the info and the doctor explains that their child has specifically asked for them not to then they will respect their child's wishes. Once you hit 12 though regardless of what your parents may do without your permission and the doctor's permission they cannot share any info no matter what.... of course there are some exceptions as I've explained above.

I hope that helped. Please understand that i don't encourage people to 'play' the system or anything like that but i do think it's important for one to know their rights and so on. Try and be as honest as possibly. Of course it would be lovely if you were absolutely honest but totally understand how hard and difficult that can be so at the very least what i recommend is to explain that you are suicidal but play down how suicidal. They have some good tips or resources for you that may help.

Also this info may be slightly different depending on where you live. I am in Canada i know that this info is basically(there may be some minor differences) if not the same as in the US. I'm not sure about the UK or Europe i suspect it's also fairly similar in the UK i have no idea what it's like throughout Europe you'd have to look up patients rights and the mental health act and what not on the government site.

Once again i hope that helped and please hang in there. Good luck.

11. assek

assek Well-Known Member

i think you should be honest with her. if you are thinking about it, you should let people help you. *hugs*

12. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

They can't tell your family but they can tell the authorities. That's one of the main reasons I refuse now to see a therapist. However as it has been said, as long as you tell them you're having thoughts of suicide but aren't planning on going through with it, I doubt they'll tell anyone as you're not technically in immediate danger.

13. I told my therapist about it this week. She's known me for eight years so I trust her. She was concerned about me, wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be alone and had people around me at all times, but she didn't report me. She did ask if I was comfortable with giving family emergency contact number for if she has to make a "judgment call" ie if I were to try to do it, but she trusts me, and she said to call 911 if the feeling gets really strong.

I'm so glad she trusts me. I think it's me that I don't trust myself.

14. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

If it helps when i started my counselling i signed a declaration which gives my permission to my counsellor to take appropriate action if she feels that i am a danger to myself, and are likely to do somthing.

15. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

Sorry i didnt see the second page - i am glad that you have told her

Just remember whatever you say, im sure your counseller has heard worse, and will never be surprised by what you say.

Its better for your own well being.

I told my counsellor once i wanted to slash my arms up, we talked it over and it really helpd.

I am sure this is a positive step for you, you say you trust your counsellor - which is somthing to be proud of, some counsellors are assholes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.