If my leg was broken......

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Fitzy, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

would you tell me it was my own fault?
    would you tell me to get over it?
    would you tell me to run a marathon?
    would you tell me to visualise it being mended?
    would you hit my broken leg?
    would you tell me that my broken leg makes your life difficult so I should stop bringing you down?
    would you be angry at me for having a broken leg?
    would you ignore my pain?

Probably not. So why is it ok to do those things to someone who has a broken mind?

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

well said :arms:

3. Green.Triceratops

Green.Triceratops Account Closed

I probably would. But im an ass. Good point though for the rest of the world who arent asses.

4. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Good analogy that.

The ones that bug me most are, "pull yourself together" and "snap out of it"! They deserve a punch!

5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Ill be the asshole who says your mind isn't broken, it's hurt and drained. But it can be healed. Try not to forget that, no matter how you feel or where you are at, you can and will get better.It takes time and a kind hand and heart though. Be kind to your mind, and your heart.

6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

A broken leg heals too. I think the analogy is appropriate. The bit about it making the lives of other's difficult/bringing them down hit close to home. It really does feel that way sometimes. How dare you be sick, I can't handle this, snap out of it right now! :sad:

7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Thank you x

8. roscho

roscho Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Fitzy... In looking at your list, my wife used these when I tried to tell her about my problem.

would you tell me it was my own fault?
    would you tell me to get over it?
    would you tell me that my broken leg makes your life difficult so I should stop bringing you down?
    would you be angry at me for having a broken leg?
    would you ignore my pain?

9. LostinTime

LostinTime Member

Wouldn't you just LOVE to break a psych's leg, then tell them that they know what's wrong so just get up and walk?

10. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I think the truth is they haven't got a clue themselves.The mind is uncharted territory with new charts being made and rmade everyday .We are supposed to know our own minds but for some of us we don't and the mind has a will of its own that we cannot control.

11. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Yes sadly you get alot more if anything sympathy if you have something physical wrong with you on most occasions.

12. SashaJade

SashaJade Well-Known Member

Well said Fitzy, just because you cannot see our illness doesn't mean it isn't there.

People with mental illnesses should be treated in the same manner as those who have a physical illness.

Sam :snake:

13. twofeet

twofeet Well-Known Member

If my leg was broken, it couldn't take this long to heal.

14. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

I know the first sign that I am moving toward suicide is that I start wishing I had something physically wrong with me that could be seem by others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.