If someone is Sad, how do they become Happy?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by StephenP, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenP

StephenP Member

The title speaks for itself.
  2. pileofgarbage

pileofgarbage Member

The same way a fat person becomes thin: with difficulty.
  3. Waterfall55

Waterfall55 Well-Known Member

I have been told (by a therapist) that you need to figure out what you would be doing if you were happy...and then do it....ie you don't have to wait to be happy before doing something you'd enjoy....by actually doing it first, you can make yourself happy in the process.
  4. Jehuty

Jehuty Senior Member

By doing something they really enjoy or are good at.

Probably sounds retarded but usally a game of Modern Warfare 2 cheers me up.

I seem to be really good at it so it shows me I am atleast good for something at this point.
    Also getting comments from other players saying I kicked ass kinda cheers me up.
  5. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Emotions are a very tough game. They can't be bought nor played. We learn of happiness from therapy. We are at one time told what happiness is. But actually feeling happiness? That only comes when we feel it in our souls.
  6. musiclady

musiclady Member

I know that sometimes forcing myself to go out and do SOMETHING, anything makes me feel better. But actually happy?, if you find out, let us know.
  7. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth - by trying to understand why you are sad, and finding a way to deal with the cause - be it something inside yourself or something external. :console:

Do you want to tell us why you are feeling sad?
  8. silent_beast

silent_beast Active Member

If you want long-term happiness, then you need to find the source of your sadness, and remedy it. Ask yourself why it bothers you, how it affects you, and what you can do to stop it.

If you want short-term happiness, do something you love to do.
  9. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I never thought that working out would lift my mood but it DOES work! I gained a couple of pounds over the holidays and was feeling sorry for myself when I got the Wii Fit plus with balance board.

After working out with that thing, I felt like a different person. I've worked out all week and have not had a "bad" feeling yet! People use to tell me that working out did wonders for depression. I USED to laugh at them.

Getting out and DOING something works wonders as well. Calling old friends, writing letters to old friends, just talking to someone ANYBODY, picking up a new hobby, VOLUNTEERING FOR OTHERS is a GREAT way to kick the depression bucket.
  10. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Well I guess one theory is that if you feel sadness you had to feel the opposite at one point in time. One would only have to recall what made them happy in the first place.
  11. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

By working through their sadness? Happiness is a broad term, but sadness is a valuable part of the human experience. I guess a certain peace of mind comes from forgiving people, so that could contribute to happiness. Loving somebody and knowing you're loved back helps. Having a healthy social structure with a large proportion of relatively kind hearted functional humans (as opposed to dysfunctional). Calmly accepting the fact you will die one day, whether you're religious or atheist or whatever. Valuing ones physical and mental health enough to cultivate the habit of eating healthily and exercising. Work in a job you're passionate about or work towards that. I think making others smile/laugh can make one happier too.
    If someone is sad, then I don't think there's a magic 'snap of the fingers' kinda thing to become happy (drugs aren't the answer); Perhaps a large part of happiness is simply contentment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.