If suicidal the why fear COVID?

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
You can have suicidal wishes and thoughts without actually wanting to die. If someone really wants to die, it would be the case already.
Also, the disease and its horrible symptoms and long-term damage are much scarier than just disappearing/dying.

Not mentioning the fear of infecting others, which should be one's first concern...

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It's more than just catching it and dying. Some people have lasting effects after having had it. It's nearly 10 months later and I still have issues that they are attributing to Covid. Given my immune system is complete crap, and I've not been known to produce or maintain antibodies for just about anything, it's highly unlikely I carry any immunity at this point. Getting it again wouldn't guarantee death for me, but it certainly would another long painful health battle. I wouldn't say I fear it so much as I am cautiously respectful of what kind of impact it could have on me.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I think it would just be a horrible and frightening way to go.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently as I've just had a health scare. It was something I've been praying for for four years. But when I thought it could be back it scared the hell out of me.

I think we often only think of suicide in terms of the end result - how afterwards our suffering will stop. The reality of achieving that is something we gloss over because ultimately nobody wants to be in pain. It's why so many of us turned up here while researching ways to kill ourselves.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Reasons for Suicidal to expend energy to avoid COVID

1) Avoiding COVID is also avoiding becoming a vector for COVID to infect others, its not just about you its about others.
2) COVID is a remarkably unpleasant and painful way to die with no guarantee it will get the job done.
3) The likelihood is that you WONT die from COVID, but there is a far higher likelihood that you will have lasting symptoms/damage which will just make your life worse. (Organ Damage, Stroke, Long Covid etc)
4) If you are seen ignoring COVID you could be labelled the same as all those "people" out there who throw a fit when told to wear a mask or think its a conspiracy theory, that's not what I would want people's last impression of me to be.
5) You may have a specific preferred way you would want to go (I know I do)
6) You may be trying to sort out some final business, like life insurance or a will or an adequate suicide note so that your death causes others the least pain possible.
7) Suicide may be all about you taking control of the one thing in this life you can actually control, how you die, and to get COVID would just rob you of that one last measure of control.

Autumn1973

Looking for people who will accept me for who I am
Well put, everyone. I agree with all your responses to this question. First and foremost, I do not want to be responsible for passing this virus to anyone else. I don't want to hurt anyone in any way, that's not who I am or who I want to be. Second, it's like Sunspots said, about the end result. None of us wants to die in pain, and some of the stories I've read about failed attempts that leave you worse off than you were before, are beyond horrible.

Waves

You can have suicidal wishes and thoughts without actually wanting to die. If someone really wants to die, it would be the case already.
Also, the disease and its horrible symptoms and long-term damage are much scarier than just disappearing/dying.

Not mentioning the fear of infecting others, which should be one's first concern...
mid want to die it would be the case? I read most attempts are unsuccessful. That is why I am here. And the effects of failure are worse. Given failure rate is high then it may not be a given that if you want to die it is done.

Reasons for Suicidal to expend energy to avoid COVID

1) Avoiding COVID is also avoiding becoming a vector for COVID to infect others, its not just about you its about others.
2) COVID is a remarkably unpleasant and painful way to die with no guarantee it will get the job done.
3) The likelihood is that you WONT die from COVID, but there is a far higher likelihood that you will have lasting symptoms/damage which will just make your life worse. (Organ Damage, Stroke, Long Covid etc)
4) If you are seen ignoring COVID you could be labelled the same as all those "people" out there who throw a fit when told to wear a mask or think its a conspiracy theory, that's not what I would want people's last impression of me to be.
5) You may have a specific preferred way you would want to go (I know I do)
6) You may be trying to sort out some final business, like life insurance or a will or an adequate suicide note so that your death causes others the least pain possible.
7) Suicide may be all about you taking control of the one thing in this life you can actually control, how you die, and to get COVID would just rob you of that one last measure of control.
EXCELLENT POINTS MADE! I HOPE EVERYONE READS THIS

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Is any way of dying easy
I dont know about that, but some are certainly easier than others. I would give examples, but thats against the forum rules, for now lets just give a perfect "most thing are better than this" example:

Lethal radiation poisoning. THAT is a way I DONT want to go. Watch Chernobyl (2019) and tell me there arent better ways to go.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
May I ask Dante have you ever attempted
No I havent, I came close at Uni, risky behaviour, making a plan, writing a note, and almost building the courage, but in the end I sort of "decided" something back then. My family has a legendary stubborn streak, when we use it for something we can do almost anything, and I "decided" that no matter what I would never ever kill myself. In the end I shut down instead, but at least THAT I could come back from.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00