If there is no God...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Esmeralda, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Just wondering...if you don't believe in God (which would entail an afterlife, possible punishment, pleasure, etc...) then what is keeping you alive? This is not a sarcastic question...I just want to know what it's like for those of you who don't follow a particular faith that involves an afterlife...I mean, if you believe in nothing, then what are you afraid of in death and what are you hoping for in life?

2. 2cents

2cents Well-Known Member

i have pondered about the same question for as long as i can remember, i went from buddhist, christian to an atheist at the core today; its more of a logical, rational choice of mine.
    back to the question, what is keeping me alive? a dream and goals though in the way there are loads of problems which more often than not set me back which partly explain why i am here at SF
    what do i afraid of death? nothing, my concept of living is that the world we live in now is the only thing that exist, out of it is nothingness which means before you were born and after you die its nothingness
    what do i hope for in life? most of us would agree that we 'hope' for the best out of everything enjoying life,

3. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i dont believe in a god or whatever but it doesnt make me wonder about dying or what comes after and im not afraid of it at all.

death would be good because (in my opinion) you cease to exist - no spirit, no soul, etc - you no longer have any memories or thoughts about anything on this earth.

the only reason i cant do it is the effect it would have on the living people i leave behind.

4. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Im not afraid of death, I dont want to hurt my family. Thats what still keeps me here. No god, no fear of death, just my family.

5. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

Interesting post.

I'll answer with a question. Must there be a reason?

There is either something or nothing. I just enjoy this little moment I have... breathe the air, watch the stars and all that surrounds... just exist for a little while and then, eventually, return to nothingness. So no, I don't fear anything in death and I'm not hoping for anything in life because there's no need for me to do so. I simply am and nothing matters. :smile:

I think I understand your logic and point of view as a believer though and your question also hints why so many people all over the world choose that mindset. Whatever it takes for people to keep going, so to speak.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

That's as good a reason as any :) Lots of freedom in your perspective as well as a good understanding of how little the mundane really matters in this life.

I always find it funny that people tend to say that people believe in God because it's comforting. While it CAN be very comforting, it's also scary as shit to think about hell and such. :)

7. pastelmoon

pastelmoon Active Member

God doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Some people don't like the view of the Christian God and have decided that God doesn't exist at all. Have any of you asked yourself why God would confine himself or herself to a single religion or system of beliefs? Instead of saying God doesn't exist why not try other religions and other spiritual paths before coming to that conclusion. If only one religion hasn't worked for you then giving up on God would be premature. Personally I have found that spirituality is a much better choice than religion. My curiosity is what has always kept me alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.