If you call a suicide hotline, can they trace where you are?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Mil, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mil

Mil Member

I'd call one to talk sometime, but I wouldn't want them tracking me down if I hinted I wanted to do something.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If they thought you were a danger to yourself, they could probably locate you. You could always try emailing The Samaritans, if you're not in immediate danger. If you feel like you are in need of immediate help, then it's probably not the worst thing in the world if they come to you.
    :hug:
    feel better

3. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Google suggests not.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I don't know what they can do in your country, but if you just need someone to talk with they usually just listen and try to help you through things. If you are a danger to yourself and indicate such, I am sure they have the ways and means to do what is necessary to locate you. It depends on thwe ethos of the place you contact I suppose.

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

In the U.S. I believe they can so that if they sense you are in the process they can get to you and prevent from being sued, which is their major concern!

7. Robin

Robin Guest

I don't know about New Zealand, I know in the USA you are in danger of being traced if they believe you are a real danger to yourself or others. In the UK apparently, even the emergency services don't have the technology to trace someone via their ip, though the actual police can do so if they need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.