If you fail an attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allie123

I overdosed several times, but none of them were serious enough to have to go to the hospital or anything - I'd just wake up 2 or 3 days later feeling hungover. When I got frustrated and blurted out to my therapist that I'd done this like six times in the past few months, she tried to convince me to go inpatient, but she didn't (couldn't? wouldn't? i dont know) make me. Instead I went to a partial hospitalization program at a psych hospital, and I'm really glad I did that instead of inpatient.

Well like if you fail an attempt and you happen to be in the hospital(whether a family member or friend has found you and took you there or called someone for you or you got yourself there) then they get your health under control first, that is priority. After that they usually access you and more likely than not you will wind up in a psych ward or locked facility for a minimum of 3 days.

If you fail an attempt and you your still at home and you tell someone later whether it's a doctor or a therapist to be honest i don't really know, both times I've attempted I've wound up at the hospital. I'd imagine they'd access you the same only not be so strict on admitting you to inpatient care.

Ringo

...do they automatically place you in a mental hospital? Or do they do something else first?
They usually have you assessed by a psychiatrist and they advise on what action will be taken. I was admitted voluntarily to a psychiatric ward after an attempted overdose but I could have gone home if I wanted to.

stig

I think it depends on the circumstances, i was in my car. the police turned up tp save me and i tried to assault them to get them to leave me to die. i was handcuffed, taken to hospital and put into a drug induced coma for 2 days, I came to in graylingwell secure hospital with my face covered in blood and a pillow stuck to it.

KittyGirl

No one knew any of the times that I'd attempted; so there was no emergency room visit or anything- which means the authorities, my parents, no one really knew what happened.
If they had, I could imagine being assessed and possibly put into a ward or a room for a few days, where I could not harm myself.

Johnnyc

I got put in a mental hospital after punching a wall and breaking my hand. They said with my history of cutting my wrists and what not that I needed to go in.
The worst part was I could not smoke, those bastards :mad:

I didn't get put in a mental hospital. I was in the hospital (regular) on 24/7 suicide watch and same when i got home. I guess it depends on the circumstances. Try not to fail it sucks.

Johnnyc

The real problem is where you live, I you live in a place where there is socialized medicine I say yes. If not you will pay up the ass in medical expenses.

plates

Depends where you are. Here there's loads of rules I am very familiar with about who they see at most risk

it goes like this

your mental and physical health
your insight
your support in the community

+ your presentation at assessment. they do a risk assessment for self harm/suicide and self neglect

so no, an attempt doesn't necessarily mean a hospital admission. i was admitted because of physical exhaustion one time. my insight was just fine. i was just 'bout to collapse..

also i should add it depends on the health workers you see on the day and if they are doing their job according to their policy, because loads of them don't.

there are also few mental hospitals in the UK for general psychiatry, rather psych wards connected to local hospitals.

MiraWolf95

Account Closed
No one knew any of the times that I'd attempted; so there was no emergency room visit or anything- which means the authorities, my parents, no one really knew what happened.
If they had, I could imagine being assessed and possibly put into a ward or a room for a few days, where I could not harm myself.
Same here.
Nobody knew any of my failed attempts.
As a matter of fact, nobody knows that I've had any attempts at all except a couple of best friends.
I never got injured enough to be sent to a hospital or draw suspicion from others.

First time i was made to drink charcoal drink, speak to the hospital councellor then was allowed home but at the time i was 13 and had to go see school councellor. second time i was refferred to see a psyc on and off, third time i was reffered as a outpatient to my local 'mental' hospital i had to go there once a week for a hour and speak to a psyciatrist until he felt i was well enough to be reffered to local mental health services xx

Akita

Thank you all and I'm sorry that all of you have been through so much. :(
You see, I don't plan on failing but bad luck follows me everywhere. I'm hoping that, if I do fail, that I can convince them to let me go home. I just didn't know if they threw you in the ward right away or not... :unsure:

PollyAnna

Account Closed
...do they automatically place you in a mental hospital? Or do they do something else first?

Uh, depends on attempt of coarse.6 months ago, I overdosed on tylenol and I was hospitalized for a few hours. I had to drink charcoal and I was referred to the hospital's counselor. then later, I was transfered to a mental hospital.I was there for 4 weeks. During this time, I was obviously diagnosed with the mental illnesses I had.But they'll only give a shit about you If u show that you profoundly need the help.If you don't make an Impression that you need the help, they'll boot you out early, and you might have to continue living with undiagnosed mental illnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00