If you had a time machine

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

what period in history would you go back to?

Or would you rather go into the future?

Me, I'll go back to the 70s. Better styles, better music, better attitude, simpler times.
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

3. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I think that I'd rather go to the future.
    But I'd also like to visit the past for a very breif momment, like back to the 1800s or earlier.
  4. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

future for me...call me optimistic but i wanna see how things develop in the future, its like reading a good book where I just cant wait to get to the end and see how things turn out. The past would be cool as well tho, i think going back to see the dinosaurs would be crazy awesome.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Shortly before WW1. I'd give the British military designs for a basic tank and tell them to manufacture them secretly and in large numbers. I'd also tell the French that the Germans perfected the machine gun.

This should prevent the major destruction of both world wars.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'd like to travel so far into the past that it reaches the end of the far future, with no particular destination, just enjoying the journey and seeing everything in the past and to come.
  7. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I'd travel back to yesterday morning and walk along the opposite side of the street to avoid stepping in that dogshit
  8. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

i'd love to travel back to either the tudor period, or the victorians.

both of which i've a facination with
  9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

first id travel back to see the dinosaurs, mainly deinonychus. then id go to the 1890's and just live there and then....

Although its worth remembering that you can only travel back to the point the time machine was built....so that sort of ruins it.

As for the future, id love to go see the end of humanity, the circumstances that shall bring our species to its end, whether its our own doing or a natural disaster or even a threat from space like an asteroid
  10. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I would go back and get drunk with Anne Sexton talking about poetry. :) such a nice dream
  11. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

1. Go back to mid-seventies
    2. Invest life savings in Microsoft and/or Apple
    3. Play the waiting game
    4. Become the 1%

This is a close second, though.
  12. Project Atlas

Project Atlas Member

Id either do one of 2 things, go at least 900 years into the future and see if the world is a better place to live, or take screensots of various technological information such as Nuclear weapons and computers, go back to 1941 AD and tell the Japanese (I would trust them the most) that I will exchange the means to create highly advanced technology in exchange for the right to make constitutional laws and the Emperor's word that they will not be broken.
  13. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I'd go 6 weeks into the future and get all the winning lottery numbers/Euromillins numbers and then return to the present and make myself filthy rich.

Or I might go back to when I started secondary school and correct the stuff that went wrong.. maybe make more wrong decisions along the way.
  14. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i want to go back
  15. OrbitalPoet

OrbitalPoet Active Member

How far back would I have to go to prevent religion?

Seriously, stop the disease dead in its tracks. I suppose it would have to be pretty far back, before the founding of Ur, for certain. And it would be a lot of work, probably need to be completely ruthless to achieve it, culling the most severely infected members of the species before they can destroy the rest.

And then the real work would begin, the setting up of a rational framework for human existence. Based on the recognition of the illusory nature of 'life', and a recognition of the need to consider all our actions holistically.

So, an awful lot of work.

But it would be worth it.
  16. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

love your idea and you can count me in but of course it's based on our knowledge that there is no god. Unfotunately there's a whole lot of people who would find that pretty insulting as they believe what they've taught by their parents or priests and don't question it.Sadly this worlds never gonna be free of it now and for that reason alone the people upon this earth will never be unified. Religion has caused untold bloodshed and stunted our growth and now the human race will never be free of it.I hope you get that time machine so you can go back and save the human race from itself.
  17. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I would not come at all.
    Life is way to difficult.
  18. Unspokenlie

Unspokenlie Member

If could go back in time I would
    I would go back to when I was 5, early 90s
    Life was so easier when you where a kid
    5 because my dad passed away and I would like to change that so it didn't happen..... Altho I will be re living All the horrible years, tho if I got to relive all this, I would change things for the best
  19. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

very very distant future
  20. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Without hesitation, the late 1800s.

Clear skies, lots of space, free land, decent technology, adventure, frontiers.. and working with the land instead of working in an ugly office on a computer getting stupid, lazy and weak.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.