If you had everything you wanted, would you be happy?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I think I'd be happy for a while. But ultimately the things I want the most are probably the things that would fuck with me the most and the pursuit of them is a dangerous game.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
The things people don't have always seem to them to be the magical things they need in order to be happy, while all of the things they do have appear boring and unimportant, no matter how wonderful and magical those same things would seem to someone else who didn't posses them. This is one of the reasons why human beings aren't able to experience happiness for very long.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
It seems to be a rule that the things we take for granted are things other people are praying for. We imagine that what we don't have will make us happy yet are still not satisfied when we get them. Why is there always something missing?
I think it's because people don't really understand what happiness is or what brings it about, and have never really even experienced it except for very brief moments, most of which they would barely have noticed or thought about while they were occurring.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think it's because people don't really understand what happiness is or what brings it about, and have never really even experienced it except for very brief moments, most of which they would barely have noticed or thought about while they were occurring.
The satisfaction of a desire produces a temporary feeling of happiness but there is no limit to desires, so desire based happiness is an endless pursuit. We're always looking for something/ someone outside to fill the void inside. Frustration and disappointment is inevitable.

Last edited:

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I don't think happiness is anything more than the brain producing various happy chemicals for a while after a particular event or situation. And as soon as it starts producing stress chemicals, the happiness dissipates.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I don't think happiness is anything more than the brain producing various happy chemicals for a while after a particular event or situation. And as soon as it starts producing stress chemicals, the happiness dissipates.
That's the mechanics of happiness. It isn't the experience of it. Personally, though, I'm much less interested in happiness than I am in the variant we call 'contentment'. Contentment can last for a lifetime.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
No, it isn't. Not supposed to be. All of the self inflicted torment surrounding the word happiness stems from a misunderstanding of the concept and of the label.
People tend to think that something in particular is going to make them happy, and it's just going to stay that way permanently.

That's why I look for fulfillment rather than happiness. Or at least contentment.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Oh god yes, the thinking of "happy when x happens" is a real shit shower. Even if its a lousy of things - if I could just get a boyfriend, get my degree and move out then everything would be perfect. Get married & have a kid. Move out, get a job & buy a monkey. Whatever it is for you. That shit never works. Why? Because we want more from life. Always. Otherwise we'd be stagnant pieces of shit.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
Oh god yes, the thinking of "happy when x happens" is a real shit shower. Even if its a lousy of things - if I could just get a boyfriend, get my degree and move out then everything would be perfect. Get married & have a kid. Move out, get a job & buy a monkey. Whatever it is for you. That shit never works. Why? Because we want more from life. Always. Otherwise we'd be stagnant pieces of shit.
I don't know...a monkey would be pretty cool to have. Especially one as awesome as you. :D

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm not sure I know what happiness is- like others I go for contentment. Is it more or less the same thing? Right now I don't know because I feel like my intellect had done a runner the last few weeks. I don't think material things can bring true happiness- but maybe they can make being unhappy a whole lot easier. The few times I've felt 'happy' recently have had nothing to do with getting things that I want, but have been about enjoying what I do have- a nice little garden where I can sit and enjoy the great weather and listen to the birds, an evening with a good friend etc. Much as I would love to have more money/no debt, a bigger house, a loving partner etc, I don't think those things would make me completely happy on their own.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00