If you have self harmed and don't want to seek medical attention (which you should)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Spikey, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Sometimes if we cut deep we're too scared/depressed to seek medical attention for cuts.
    So this is what you need to do:

Squeeze the wound edges together to reduce bleeding.
    Get a clean sock or piece of clean cloth and tie it tightly around the wound.
    Hold the wound higher your head - i.e if it's your arm, hold it up. If it's your leg, lie on the floor, and place your leg up against a wall. (you'll look a bit of a turnip but it stops serious bleeding)
    Take ONE paracetemol for the pain: paracetemol also contains some chemical that helps clot blood.
    After a while, take off the sock and check the wound. If it's still bleeding heavily you NEED to seek urgent medical attention or it could get really really nasty.
    If it has stopped bleeding so much, get a clean tissue or something with warm water on it and wash it GENTLY.
    DO NOT USE COTTON BUDS OR COTTON WOOL AS THESE FIBRES IRRITATE CUTS.
    Get another piece of clean material and tie that over the cut.
    If you can, get some steri-strips (availible from most chemists) and pinch the wound together, steri-stripping it together.
    Get a bandage, one of those big white plaster type things, you can get them from chemists too.
    Place that over the steri-stripped wound and make sure it covers it completely.
    Take a bandage and wrap it around the steri-stripped-white-plastered-wound and secure it around that.

---NOTE---IF A VERY SERIOUS WOUND MEDICAL ATTENTION SHOULD BE SOUGHT AT ONCE------ IF WOUND IS DEEP AND REQUIRES STICHES PLEASE GET MEDICAL STICHES DONE BY A PROFFESSIONAL DOCTOR----- YOU MAY HAVE DONE MORE DAMAGE THAN YOU REALISE (a.la me slashing my muscle in two and damaging nerves).

Take care all.

Spikey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Re: If you have self harmed and don't want to seek medical attention (which you shoul

Some very helpful advice there hun, thanks. :hug:

3. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Re: If you have self harmed and don't want to seek medical attention (which you shoul

No prob hunny :)

4. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

One paracetamol will not help blood to clot quicker. It just doesn't prevent clotting like asprin. I wouldn't advise taking it for blood clotting purposes. For pain yes.....I suppose. Although I would recommed Ibroprufen instead as it is also an anti inflammatory.

Nor would I advise removing a bandage to check a serious wound. Removing a bandage will remove any initial clotting and cause it to bleed more......also, subsequent clots are not as strong as the initial clot. If it is still bleeding it will seep through the first bandage. Just place another one on top and seek medical help.

Do not use warm water as that will dilate blood vessels and cause further bleeding. If you feel you need to clean it use cold water.

If a wound is bad enough to require any form of stitching, whether that be steri-strips or sutures you should not attempt to do this yourself.

5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Thank you so much for trying to help everyone, I love ya Elizabeth :hug:

:grouphug:

xxxxxx

6. cthulhu

cthulhu Well-Known Member

oddly enuf i have sone thing to add here, if the cuts are small enuf, you can use super glue as stiches...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.